"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-09-2014, 03:19 AM   #41
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberfold View Post
Have you ever been to a potluck, where everyone surrounds this 1 person because that person brought a homemade dish?
"Did you make this? Wowww.... Hey, check this out ... she can cook!"...
Great question, aberfold! Look at all the conversation it started. Maybe not all on topic, but...

I guess, personally, I've been lucky. Any work setting where we would do a pot-luck, it seems like everyone brought good food. All claiming to have "home-made", but we know how that phrase can be, ahem, adjusted in meaning.

I learned at my Mom and Great Aunt's sides. I've cooked, many things from scratch, for a lot of my life. And I still get compliments on meals shared with others. No matter how old you are, it's always nice to know someone likes your food as much as you do.

Old 12-09-2014, 03:21 AM   #42
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLC View Post
An associate (who himself cooks well) lives in a new, upscale urban development. You know the kind. $250,000....
Or, as we call that in eastern Massachusetts, a 1950s fixer-upper, 3-bedroom/1 bath ranch.

Old 12-09-2014, 07:14 AM   #43
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
My daughter among the top 5 in her class of 250 cant boil an egg. Has the smarts, but cooking is just not her thing nor her interest ( except pancakes, she enjoys making them from scratch).

My son, on the other hand, not great at it, but puts a lot of effort .

Any time I get a phone call at work from my son, its always about cooking. ( how long to I keep it in the oven for? What temperature? whats the name of that spice ..?) I think its hysterical, cause Im not talking most the time he calls, Im talking %100 they tell me he is on the phone, its a cooking question, and I love it
I admire your patient listening and guiding your son on how to cook. Your story reminds me of my conversation with my colleague yesterday at work. She said: "My son would try to reheat pasta sauce for his little brother to eat after school. Its all very nice, but my whole white stove after that is covered with red splashes everywhere. But I don't say anything, because he tried."
I am sure your daughter will start liking to cook too. She is already on the right track... making pancakes from scratch! :)
Old 12-09-2014, 07:18 AM   #44
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Great question, aberfold! Look at all the conversation it started. Maybe not all on topic, but...

I guess, personally, I've been lucky. Any work setting where we would do a pot-luck, it seems like everyone brought good food. All claiming to have "home-made", but we know how that phrase can be, ahem, adjusted in meaning.

I learned at my Mom and Great Aunt's sides. I've cooked, many things from scratch, for a lot of my life. And I still get compliments on meals shared with others. No matter how old you are, it's always nice to know someone likes your food as much as you do.
Thanks, Cooking Goddess! Fortunately to me (and to my husband), I enjoy cooking. We watch our budget and only allow to go out once a month, therefore it is especially important to enjoy cooking more.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:08 AM   #45
Chef Extraordinaire

My phone rang at work. It was my DIL. The one who never learned to cook. "How do you make Pea Soup?" I patiently gave her the direction. She was in my house at the time and I also had to tell where everything is. We hung up. About ten minutes later my phone rang again.

'WHAT DO YOU MEAN MY HOUSE IS ON FIRE?" My boss had heard the previous conversation and knew that she was a newlywed. When he heard me yell about the fire, he started to laugh so hard, he threw himself back into his chair and fell backwards. I was a nervous wreck everyday that I had to leave her at home, while I went to work. Oh how I wish her mother had let her in the kitchen and taught her how to cook.
Old 12-09-2014, 10:45 AM   #46
Executive Chef

I agree that it is more important that the family sits down together for a meal than whether the meal is cooked from scratch or prepared foods. Our breakfast and lunch was always separate because of different schedules, but we always had the evening meal together.
Old 12-09-2014, 11:13 AM   #47
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
I agree that it is more important that the family sits down together for a meal than whether the meal is cooked from scratch or prepared foods. Our breakfast and lunch was always separate because of different schedules, but we always had the evening meal together.
Same here. All though on school mornings the kids sat down together for their breakfast. But Sunday mornings the whole family sat down for a Sunday breakfast. Each one could have their eggs anyway they wanted them. During the week, scrambled. I used to arrange their food on the plate as if the photographer from a food magazine was coming. One kid would want English muffins, another wheat toast, another white, etc. I wanted them to have a really good breakfast because the big meal of the day was not going to happen until after 2 p.m. And after breakfast, they had to head for church and Sunday School. With four kids and two adults, I went through a pound of bacon and a dozen eggs every Sunday. Not to mention the bread products and juices.
Old 12-09-2014, 11:19 AM   #48
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
My brother's kids are good cooks. He has a son and a daughter in their 20's and they can both cook. They share a house and due to a tight budget they cook almost everything that they eat, they even make most of their own bread. Their dad, my brother never showed any interest in cooking, but after his first divorce, I helped him learn. They learned most of the basics from their mom who is a great scratch cook.
My brother and I both cook almost everything we eat from scratch, although he will take shortcuts that I don't take (use a boxed cake mix, for example). Our father's only interest in cooking was always to get in the way in the kitchen (hovering--I hate people who hover in the kitchen--either help or get out of the way). The DH has a habit of pacing and sampling everything. That's when I put him to work helping. A friend call's it my kitchen dance because I have everything coordinated and orchestrate everything on schedule. To me it comes as naturally as breathing. I don't have to think about it.

I cook from scratch for a number of reasons--I enjoy it, it makes financial sense, I know what is (and what isn't) in each dish, and I have almost always worked from home, so stopping on the way home from work for take-out wasn't an option. Having a well-stocked pantry/fridge/freezer means I don't have to go grocery shopping except to restock items I've used up. I rarely go out to eat. If I do, it is to hook up with a friend.
Old 12-09-2014, 11:21 AM   #49
Executive Chef

I once worked in a plant as the shift electrician. 12 hour shift. Night and day both. We took breaks as appropriate to our working hours.
I always brought in homemade food. Lots of food. Enough for me and my two associates.
To this day, anyone I talk to from that plant recalls the breaks and the food. They call it "groceries" here. Always said "John" would really bring the "groceries".
I don't miss that job, but the people were pretty darn nice.
Old 12-09-2014, 11:45 AM   #50
Master Chef

When we first became part of our community, all we used to hear was "Ah, just wait till you try Such and Such person's food, it is amazing". I am sorry to say the food is mediocre at best (not cheese cake, cheese cake is really amazing). Nowadays everybody saying, "when are you inviting us over for some of your food?" Honestly I do not consider myself any kind of fancy or special cook. I can simply make food to feed a family. I think the only secret to my food I use seasoning, something that some people completely do not know how to do or have no idea how to. Ones I was asked how you make your food so good. My answer was I taste before I serve, and if it doesn't taste good I will literally not serve, not bring to the table.

Tags
cook, cooking