"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-10-2014, 03:41 PM   #61
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Food Network isn't about food anymore. It's about food based reality competitions.
I haven't watched FN for the past few years. Give me back David Rosengarten. He had the mare basic equipment and no walls. But he was all about the food. And only the food.

Old 12-10-2014, 03:45 PM   #62
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberfold View Post
Well said, Larry. Especially with Amazon Fresh is starting to launch (in Canada). I'm quite excited for that!
What is Amazon Fresh?

Old 12-10-2014, 04:04 PM   #63
Head Chef

I am known as a good cook by many of our friends. They rarely turn down an invitation to my home, and only if they have a precious commitment. That said, I don't flaunt my food, I just cook whatever I think my friends and family will enjoy. We do have a "new" couple who have joined our group. The wife is very competitive and turns pot lucks into contests. Puts some people on edge and makes them feel as though their dishes ar somewhat inferior. Kinda spoils the party.
Old 12-10-2014, 04:20 PM   #64
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndalou View Post
I am known as a good cook by many of our friends. They rarely turn down an invitation to my home, and only if they have a precious commitment. That said, I don't flaunt my food, I just cook whatever I think my friends and family will enjoy. We do have a "new" couple who have joined our group. The wife is very competitive and turns pot lucks into contests. Puts some people on edge and makes them feel as though their dishes ar somewhat inferior. Kinda spoils the party.
Oh no... :( thats the worst thing. It's not about a competition. Its about sharing and having a good time.
Old 12-10-2014, 04:30 PM   #65
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
What is Amazon Fresh?
Great question, Addie!
Amazon is an online shopping website. They usually sell books and other stuff online. But now they are doing grocery online too. Apparently they deliver take out foods now too. That's something new.
I wish I lived in US, won't have to step a foot out. Especially on freezing days like today....

Here is their website, if you want to check it out, Addie.
https://fresh.amazon.com/welcome
Old 12-10-2014, 04:55 PM   #66
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Great question, Addie!
Amazon is an online shopping website. They usually sell books and other stuff online. But now they are doing grocery online too. Apparently they deliver take out foods now too. That's something new.
I wish I lived in US, won't have to step a foot out. Especially on freezing days like today....

Here is their website, if you want to check it out, Addie.
https://fresh.amazon.com/welcome
Well, that is the first I have heard of it. Considering I have three large supermarkets right close to me, I doubt I will be using it. And we have Pea Pod here run by Stop and Shop.
Old 12-10-2014, 05:35 PM   #67
Assistant Cook

What's Pea Pod, Addie?
Old 12-10-2014, 06:17 PM   #68
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
What's Pea Pod, Addie?
It is much like the Amazon Fresh. You can order your groceries on line, over the phone or mail in your order. There is about a four page list of the most popular items that are sold in the store. You just place a check mark or X in the box beside the item. You can also order fresh meats. It is used mostly by working people. The fee is quite high IMO.
Old 12-10-2014, 06:52 PM   #69
Head Chef

Quote:
We do have a "new" couple who have joined our group. The wife is very competitive and turns pot lucks into contests. Puts some people on edge and makes them feel as though their dishes ar somewhat inferior. Kinda spoils the party.
That could be annoying.
I have one friend at work. I wouldn't say we are in competition with each other, but we are both always looking for new things to eat and different ways to present them. When one of us finds something, we try it then share our success ( or failures ) with each other. If successful, we give the recipe along with any advice that we encountered along the way. So its more of a healthy, collaborative cooking relationship we have, in which we both benefit. We even lend each other certain pots, pans, gadgets, rare ingredients ... if the recipe calls for it.
Old 12-10-2014, 09:32 PM   #70
Head Chef

Quote:
That's a really bad idea. It not only spoils the party, but may cause others to quit bringing anything, or even to leave the group, if they have real issues with feeling "inferior". While I will try to do my best when cooking for a get together, I don't go out of my way to make it look like it was done by Sandra Lee, with accompanying tablescape.

I'm also a fan of simplicity. My last contribution to such a gathering was on Thanksgiving, and I brought sweet potatoes with onions, tossed in olive oil, amaretto and thyme, roasted in a 9x13 pan and topped with sliced almonds. Simple, appropriate, and really tasty.

If someone wants to enter a contest, there are usually chili cookoffs all over the US at just about any time of year. Our local volunteer fire department is having one this Sunday.

Tags
cook, cooking