"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-11-2014, 06:22 AM   #71
Chef Extraordinaire

I've decided to invite some friends over during the holidays. Because I am "entertaining" challenged, I am doing what I grew up with--a smorgasbord. I called one friend (Austrian) and asked if he and his better half would be available to join us. I mentioned it was a smorgasbord and was he familiar with that? Yes, he said he was. Somewhere in the conversation I mentioned that the first round around the table would probably start around 4 and round 5 would finish sometime around 8/9 (this he would know to lock up his sheep before coming). That was when he said, no I'm not familiar with that kind of smorgasbord. So I explained how the dishes are presented and what typically is presented together. He's in and will be wearing track pants (drawstring waist)! I have some vegetarians coming, so have to add more meatless/seafoodless sides and mains.

Old 12-12-2014, 10:31 AM   #72
Executive Chef

My Christmas entertaining is usually buffet style. I always have ham, with the fixings for sandwiches, and potato salad, but any further than that it's whatever finger food I happen to make. Never planned and never the same from year to year. People come when they want, eat what and when they want, and leave when they want, always with a package of leftovers. Some bring a dish, some don't. It's very casual. I prefer this to having a sit-down meal like Thanksgiving.

Old 12-13-2014, 12:09 AM   #73
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
My Christmas entertaining is usually buffet style. I always have ham, with the fixings for sandwiches, and potato salad, but any further than that it's whatever finger food I happen to make. Never planned and never the same from year to year. People come when they want, eat what and when they want, and leave when they want, always with a package of leftovers. Some bring a dish, some don't. It's very casual. I prefer this to having a sit-down meal like Thanksgiving.
Carol, I do the same thing. Buffet style for Christmas day works for my small family. Some of them have other places to go, with family coming in from out of town, or out of state. I love the dropping in, and it often extends to a few days after Christmas day.
Old 12-13-2014, 04:28 AM   #74
Chef Extraordinaire

I have to go to my daughter's. Later after we eat, all the grandkids pile in to do their dutiful visit to that old lady that says she is my grandmother. I feel like I am hold court. Should I wear the tiara I got for my 75th birthday?

Tags
cook, cooking