"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 12-06-2014, 06:13 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
Is cooking a new trend?

Have you ever been to a potluck, where everyone surrounds this 1 person because that person brought a homemade dish?
"Did you make this? Wowww.... Hey, check this out ... she can cook!"

Or imagine you start a new job at a new company and have no friends at the beginning. Pretty lonely eh?
I've been in that shoe. On a second day at my new job, a colleague caught me heating up pizza in the lunchroom. "Oh that looks good!... What??? You made this???" Before we even got to know each other's names, we started talking about the pizza recipe.

Next month we plan to organize a holiday pot-luck at work. When I haven't decided what to bring, somehow the event coordinator already was informed that there is a huge request for me to make pizza that day.
"I heard you make pizza! Someone already told us that you make wonderful pizza and she requested you bring some for pot-luck! Pizza please, please!"
Thats how I became more popular in the office in just 1 week working there. I am known to my colleagues as "she can cook".

How did if feel when you got noticed in a group just because you can cook? What did you cook?

A foodie, who loves sharing proven tips and tricks to help busy people cook at home.
aberfold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 07:25 PM   #2
Ogress Supreme
Site Administrator
I heard someone the other day tell a new employee, "...just wait until Fiona starts making her winter soups..." "If you like dessert, ask Fiona to make what you like..."

PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 08:48 PM   #3
Head Chef
My marinated and grilled coconut lime chicken wings have received some excellent reviews and requests from friends and family.

A holiday favorite for me to take to the meal site for Thanksgiving or Christmas is my wild mushroom stuffing. I can't lay claim to inventing the recipe, I got it from the Food and Wine website. It's not inexpensive to make unless you have easy access to several types of wild mushrooms, and it's only healthful if you don't mind 2 cups of heavy cream, but it is absolutely delicious.
RPCookin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 05:28 AM   #4
Executive Chef
Not quite the same, but I once made a layered eggplant parmesan and took it to work. The comment I received was "Tell your mother she is a good cook!" Then disbelief when I told that person I made it.
Emeralds are real Gems! C. caninus & C. Batesii.
CraigC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 06:32 AM   #5
Head Chef
I think quite the opposite. Cooking is/ was an old trend. Now as easier , better preprepared options have become available, and order in/ take options have become more available , and peoples lives have become busier, less people have the time or want to put in the effort for a home cooked meal.

Channels like the Food Network, and all the self proclaimed celebrity chefs , and their corresponding cooking / reality shows, definitely have given home cooking a new boost. But at least from what I have noticed from my surroundings, even those channels, shows and programs are dying down.

Which leads to the experience you had, people are so surprised when you get that one person who is so into cooking and does it well ( especially if you're a guy). I am definitely the ' go to ' person in the office when it comes to cooking ( gardening , concerts and broadway shows too). A few of us bring in our left overs ( from a weekend full of cooking) on Mondays / Tuesdays to sample each others successes ( and sometimes failures). We also frequently are trading recipes, ideas, loaning each other pots, pans....

For me cooking is both fun and therapeutic. I dont know what I would do with all my free time if I didnt cook.

To my kids, it seems actually strange if my wife is the one cooking dinner. She is the school lunch preparer, and the heat up what has already been prepared in time for dinnererer.

At any get together , I am the one they ask to make / bring things.

The worst is when someone else feels like they are doing you a favor, so they ask for the recipe and make it themselves ( usually poorly), but then announce at the party, that " oh, this is the recipe I got from so and so .." . I dont even want my name on it, cause they usually screw it up
larry_stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 08:32 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
I don't think so. I agree with Larry, the food network/cooking shows have changed people's perspective a bit. I do know that what we see on TV doesn't include the outtakes, etc. It takes three of us in the kitchen 5-6 hours to prep 2 mains and 2 sides for the food photographer. This does include the time to cook and clean up, as well as one person working with the photographer to set up the shots. Whereas, it will take me 1.25 - 2 hours to prepare the same dishes without the photographer (without cleanup time). I know, I've timed myself.
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 08:48 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
I attended a large family gathering for my granddaughter's in-laws. I brought some pumpkin cookies with cranraisins. One of the aunts asked for the recipe. I sent it to her work. She made them for her office. Someone asked her for the recipe. She said that they were a family secret. The party was in my daughter's office. They worked together. My daughter called me and told me what she said. I immediately emailed the recipe to my daughter, and she printed off enough for anyone who want it. She tried to pass it off that it wasn't the same recipe as hers. My daughter told everyone where she got the recipe. Along with the fact that we were not related to her.

I don't believe in secrets when it comes to recipes. Share the goodness.
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 10:26 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
When I was working, there were several foodies in my office. Whenever we had potlucks, I always tried to make something new, but people did request a few items: pasta salad with homemade pesto sauce, Greek layered salad with tzatziki dressing and beer-cheese dip.

We were at an outdoor concert a couple of months ago and I saw a couple of master gardener friends there. They told me they had just been telling their friends about my cooking for MG events. I think that was shortly after I made a breakfast bread pudding for the volunteers before the fall open garden event.
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 11:20 AM   #9
Executive Chef
Site Moderator
At times I feel bad because whether it's work or with friends, people are going gaga over my desserts or whatever baked goods I bring. It gets to the point that some won't bring dessert, because "it can't compare to mine". That's just silly, I really enjoy trying other people's baking. Luckily most of my friends don't care, we all just make food and have fun!

At work, I'm the cheesecake guy, we also have a manager's wife that always has to bring a huge pan of macaroni and cheese.

Apparently among friends there is usually a discussion about what I'll bring

It seems more rare that people actually cook anymore, especially from scratch. I'm hoping that we're seeing a resurgence. I remember when I started in the grocery business, that we would get pallets of INGREDIENTS, now we get pallets of pre-made pies, cookies, and candies. The baking supplies are still there but more scaled back in overall volume.
I'm Bloggin'

bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 11:43 AM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef
I made various thing for work functions in the past. One year, when I was working a consulting position, I brought a NY style cheesecake with blueberry topping. Little did I know that a woman in the next department ALWAYS brought the cheesecake. Her's looked pretty sad next to mine. Everyone ate my cheesecake and raved about it. If looks could kill...

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote

cook, cooking