"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-25-2007, 10:36 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
I stopped using flour as a thickening agent as it was taking away flavors from food. I haven't completely banned it from cooking as I still use it on creamy soups, mac & cheese and gravies. I opted for cornstarch as it's not as heavy and won't take away the dish's flavors from popping out. Has anyone experienced this before? BTW, Corn flour or MASEKA is wonderful in chili and other Mexican sauces.

Old 09-25-2007, 10:45 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

I use flour/roux (mostly) arrowroot, cornstarch, and Masa.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 11:43 AM   #13
Master Chef

It is interesting to see how people have diferent opinion, Dina, I felt exactly the oposite.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:44 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

Thank you for ideas,seems we are split on which is best. I am making cream soups and will report back how flour roux holds up on staem table in broccoli soup.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:49 PM   #15
Executive Chef

I like a flour roux the best I think it adds more flavor than corn starch if I didn't make enough roux to thicken something I will add a little corn starch slurry to get where I want it to be.I use cornstarch for fruit based thickenings.
Old 10-01-2007, 05:31 AM   #16
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dina View Post
I stopped using flour as a thickening agent as it was taking away flavors from food. I haven't completely banned it from cooking as I still use it on creamy soups, mac & cheese and gravies. I opted for cornstarch as it's not as heavy and won't take away the dish's flavors from popping out. Has anyone experienced this before? BTW, Corn flour or MASEKA is wonderful in chili and other Mexican sauces.

Hi Dina,

I had the same thoughts too! Flour was just taking some of the flovour away. Phew, I'm not the only one!
Old 10-01-2007, 05:50 AM   #17
Assistant Cook

For gravies, I use a little extra onion and some stick celery. Brown meat, sweat or brown onion/celery mix, cook. Then I remove meat and blend the onion/celery mix very well. You get a thicker sauce without use of any flour.

This works for some soups as well. You may blend some of the cooked vegetables, use some to have some "bite". I also use potatoes to cook along and then blend. I often opt for as little liquid to cook as possible, adding liquid (water, cream, etc) at the end. Seasoning at last when I have the consistency I like.

Note: if using carrot to cook along, make sure you remove carrot pieces before blending. Otherwise the taste of carrot owerpowers all else.