Is is possible to make a simple syrup with splenda?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chithanh119

Assistant Cook
Is is possible to make a simple syrup with splenda?

Or part splenda, part sugar or corn syrup.

Let us know! My guess is that it isn't but I would be glad to be wrong. Just substitute for sugar in equal amounts with the same process.

I saw a piece on Blaine's Low Carb Life about key lime pie that used a simple syrup using Splenda. Equal parts Splenda and water, bring to a boil slowly. Store in an airtight container. To make the pie they added the zest of one lime to the syrup, but I reckon you could leave it out to make a basic syrup.

If you try to make simple syrup with just splenda and water, all you get is sweet water. It will never thicken.

I've never tried it in combination with sugar or corn syrup.

My feeling/thought is:
1. Name the recipe you are trying to sub for. It's too general a question.
2. Unless you are a diabetic, why are you trying to substitute?
3. There's nothing better and healthier than natural products for your body. So why use processed?
4. The amount you consume in any concoction is alot less than the recipe totals call for, so if you can't eat the original recipe, why bother? Again, unless you're a diabetic.
5. If it's a sweet/dessert - you can live without it.

5. If it's a sweet/dessert - you can live without it.

But maybe they don't want to :LOL:

And yes, a recipe (at least tell us what you are making) would help us know what you are trying to accomplish. It may be that your simple syrup doesn't need to be thick...we just need to know what you are making.

Back
Top Bottom