Is It A Sausage Patty Or A Burger?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
Just watched Ming Tsai make a free form sausage patty using chicken, mushrooms, rice and seasonings. He mixed all the ingredients in a bowl, formed two patties and cooked them in a CI skillet.

The show was about sausages so that's what he called them.

What I want to know is, why aren't they chicken-mushroom burgers?

...What I want to know is, why aren't they chicken-mushroom burgers?

Because they aren't made from hamburger?
I think hamburger was shortened up to burger, people realizing it was made from ground beef. But burger loosely became anything formed like a hamburger as more exotic burgers were made; lamb, chicken, soy :ermm: even though they are technically all patties.
So really I have no idea ;)

Exactly, Fred. A burger doesn't have to be beef anymore. We have turkey burgers, chicken burgers, lamb, pork and veggie burgers. So why are those things sausage patties and not chicken mushroom burgers.

I will have the country sausage burger please... as I gaze into the dumbfounded look of the local diner waitress :LOL:

Down here we even have conch burgers. :)

Just my opinion, but sausage is usually flavored more strongly than a straight burger, usually spicier, more peppery. That's how I differentiate it anyway.

i've purchased beef, ostrich, bison, venison, salmon, turkey, lamb, chix, & veggie burger/s. they use both terms, though, @ restaurants. sausage is the 1 i've yet to see be called a burger. thinking they're tweaking terms to make the menu seem interesting.

Back
Top Bottom