Is it okay to deglaze when using a cast iron skillet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LadyNYC

Assistant Cook
I want to make Au Jus and that means I am going to have to deglaze the pan I used. However, I plan to use a cast iron skillet because that's what I have and I don't know if deglazing is okay when using a cast iron skillet. Help pls...

I want to make Au Jus and that means I am going to have to deglaze the pan I used. However, I plan to use a cast iron skillet because that's what I have and I don't know if deglazing is okay when using a cast iron skillet. Help pls...

There is no reason that I can think of for not being able to deglaze in a cast iron skillet. I do it all the time and it brings up some terrific fond. Because a cast iron skillet becomes very hot, if you are using wine or liquor don't pour it directly into the pan without removing it from the burner first. It could ignite easily from alcohol fumes.

yes you can deglaze a cast iron pan, but..... if the pan is not well seasoned and you use wine or some other acidic liquid, you may get a metallic taste. Regardless of that, after cleaning your pan, rub some oil in it and heat it up to make sure it is well seasoned after use.

I would add...Don't deglaze using a cold liquid to a very hot pan...It could cause the CI to crack.. Room temperature, or just a little warm would be good...Start slowly...then pour.

Fun!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom