"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-10-2010, 06:30 PM   #11
Master Chef

Rush, you don't really need a lid. Just use foil, it will be a "tight enough" seal to get it up to required doneness for chicken. If you don't have and instant read thermometer, get one.
Hope this helps.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 04:54 AM   #12
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I didn't consider the height of the legs.

The whole point is to sear the legs over high heat then continue cooking over low heat so the interior cooks properly. This last part should be done in a covered vessel or the oven to contain the heat.

I actually don't care for grill pans because they complicate to cooking process. I'd rather use a cast iron skillet or tri-ply stainless that can be lidded or go into the oven.
Thanks for all the advice!

Old 08-11-2010, 04:56 AM   #13
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Rush, you don't really need a lid. Just use foil, it will be a "tight enough" seal to get it up to required doneness for chicken. If you don't have and instant read thermometer, get one.
Hope this helps.
That's a great idea. Thanks!

I have a thermometer, but I don't know if it applies to chicken legs... it's not like a chicken breast or ground patty, where you can stick it into the center and get an accurate reading.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:34 AM   #14
Head Chef

I am assuming that you have a stove to put the grill pan on, right? Do you have an oven as well? I would forget the grill pan if you are doing bone-in chicken and just get a nice carmelization on the skin, then put it into the oven until done. Probably at 360deg for 20-25 mins. You are talking chicken parts, i hope.
Anyway, good luck.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:42 AM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndalou View Post
I am assuming that you have a stove to put the grill pan on, right? Do you have an oven as well? I would forget the grill pan if you are doing bone-in chicken and just get a nice carmelization on the skin, then put it into the oven until done. Probably at 360deg for 20-25 mins. You are talking chicken parts, i hope.
Anyway, good luck.
lyndalou......did you carefully read his first post? He wants to avoid the oven.

Rush, read here about instant read thermometers.....they are different from those that you insert for the duration of cooking, like with a roast. You can get a decent one for under 20 bucks, less than a Dr's appointment if you undercook chicken.

Instant Read Thermometer - Peace of Mind When Cooking

Old 08-11-2010, 11:46 AM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush View Post
That's a great idea. Thanks!

I have a thermometer, but I don't know if it applies to chicken legs... it's not like a chicken breast or ground patty, where you can stick it into the center and get an accurate reading.

Use an instant read thermometer to check the doneness of ANY meat. Insert the thermometer into the thickest part of the drumstick without touching the bone. It should register 180F. Drumsticks (as with all chicken) is safe to eat at 161F but dark meat texture is better at 180F.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:07 PM   #17
Master Chef

Just another thought Rush......simply eliminate the bones, by either boning it yourself, or buy boneless chicken.......Boneless chicken can be done quickly in a grill pan without the need for longer cooking, with outstanding results.

Old 08-13-2010, 05:05 AM   #18
Senior Cook

Quote:
lyndalou......did you carefully read his first post? He wants to avoid the oven.

Rush, read here about instant read thermometers.....they are different from those that you insert for the duration of cooking, like with a roast. You can get a decent one for under 20 bucks, less than a Dr's appointment if you undercook chicken.

Instant Read Thermometer - Peace of Mind When Cooking
Thanks for the suggestion.

I think I already have one of those...

I have something similar to this from CDN...

Amazon.com: CDN ProAccurate Quick-Read Waterproof Pocket…
Old 08-13-2010, 05:08 AM   #19
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Use an instant read thermometer to check the doneness of ANY meat. Insert the thermometer into the thickest part of the drumstick without touching the bone. It should register 180F. Drumsticks (as with all chicken) is safe to eat at 161F but dark meat texture is better at 180F.
180?!

I thought it was 160... why is dark meat any different?
Old 08-13-2010, 05:09 AM   #20
Senior Cook

Quote:
Just another thought Rush......simply eliminate the bones, by either boning it yourself, or buy boneless chicken.......Boneless chicken can be done quickly in a grill pan without the need for longer cooking, with outstanding results.
I see, thanks.

I read somewhere that bone-in stuff always cook faster, because of the bone...

Hmm. Will boneless thighs qualify?