"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-09-2010, 03:53 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Is it possible to cook chicken on grill pan?

And grill pan, only?

I noticed all the recipes for chicken legs on a grill pan, suggest you either start or finish the cooking process in the oven (or an outdoor grill).

I try to stay away from the oven, because my roommates have about 10 or 12 pots and pans in it, and I'd have to clear it out and then put it back in. Plus, oven = too much time.

If possible, I'd like to avoid the oven, but so far, I haven't really come across a chicken leg recipe that relies solely on a grill pan. There was one that did, but some of the comments suggested that they finished it off in the oven.

I have a horrible tendency to opt for fastfood, and I just really like the idea of coming home from work or working out, tossing some marinated legs on the grill pan, and eating it after a few short minutes, as opposed to waiting an hour for it to finish in the oven.

But is it possible, without completely burning and ruining the chicken?

Old 08-09-2010, 04:12 AM   #2
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush View Post
And grill pan, only?

I noticed all the recipes for chicken legs on a grill pan, suggest you either start or finish the cooking process in the oven (or an outdoor grill).

I try to stay away from the oven, because my roommates have about 10 or 12 pots and pans in it, and I'd have to clear it out and then put it back in. Plus, oven = too much time.

If possible, I'd like to avoid the oven, but so far, I haven't really come across a chicken leg recipe that relies solely on a grill pan. There was one that did, but some of the comments suggested that they finished it off in the oven.

I have a horrible tendency to opt for fastfood, and I just really like the idea of coming home from work or working out, tossing some marinated legs on the grill pan, and eating it after a few short minutes, as opposed to waiting an hour for it to finish in the oven.

But is it possible, without completely burning and ruining the chicken?

Where I come from, you could cook chicken on a car's bonnet in midsummer.

Whatever you decide for your recipe, chicken first browned in a pan brings out its flavour. What I like are pans you can put straight into the oven from the top of the stove. A good one is Le Creuset, though it is heavy.

Bearing in mind you should not cremate your chicken, get the pan hot until you see a light heat haze, then carefully lay your pieces down into the oil. It will only take a minute or so to brown the meat; lower the fire to about medium heat, so the chicken doesn't dry out.

"Fast food" to me is food cooked fast in a blazingly busy, commercial kitchen. Anything else is just plain genteel.

Old 08-09-2010, 07:39 AM   #3
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Toaster oven?
Old 08-09-2010, 09:31 AM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

After searing grill marks onto the chicken, turn the heat down and cover the pan as tightly as possible and continue to cook it slowly until the interior is done.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:48 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linux View Post
Where I come from, you could cook chicken on a car's bonnet in midsummer.

Whatever you decide for your recipe, chicken first browned in a pan brings out its flavour. What I like are pans you can put straight into the oven from the top of the stove. A good one is Le Creuset, though it is heavy.

Bearing in mind you should not cremate your chicken, get the pan hot until you see a light heat haze, then carefully lay your pieces down into the oil. It will only take a minute or so to brown the meat; lower the fire to about medium heat, so the chicken doesn't dry out.

"Fast food" to me is food cooked fast in a blazingly busy, commercial kitchen. Anything else is just plain genteel.
Thanks, my grill pan is Le Creuset, but I was hoping I can avoid the oven. I'll try it out and see what happens...

And you're right about the "heavy" part.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:50 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
After searing grill marks onto the chicken, turn the heat down and cover the pan as tightly as possible and continue to cook it slowly until the interior is done.
Unfortunately, my grill pan didn't come with a cover.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:53 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD View Post
Toaster oven?
My roommate has one, but I was really hoping for a one-stop cooking on the grill pan.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:58 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Unfortunately, my grill pan didn't come with a cover.
Grill pans don't come with covers, you have to improvise. Something as simple as a flat piece of cardboard or plywood covered in foil would work. The objective is to keep heat in the pan so it cooks the chicken (or other foods). If the make shift lid is too light, place a weight (can of soup or something) on it so it covers tightly.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:46 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Grill pans don't come with covers, you have to improvise. Something as simple as a flat piece of cardboard or plywood covered in foil would work. The objective is to keep heat in the pan so it cooks the chicken (or other foods). If the make shift lid is too light, place a weight (can of soup or something) on it so it covers tightly.
How would a flat piece of cardboard seal in the heat? Wouldn't it have to be sort of bowl shaped? Oh wait, you're telling me to literally place the cardboard on top of the grill pan.

I've seen some chefs, like Bobby Flay place a tin bowl on top of his grill, but I don't really have any "bowls" that can withstand the heat from the grill pan.

But that cardboard wrapped in foil, sounds simple yet effective. Not sure though, if the sides of my grill pan is high enough... the cardboard might be touching the chicken legs.

I'll definitely take this into consideration. Thanks!
Old 08-09-2010, 08:43 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
... Not sure though, if the sides of my grill pan is high enough... the cardboard might be touching the chicken legs.

I'll definitely take this into consideration. Thanks!
I didn't consider the height of the legs.

The whole point is to sear the legs over high heat then continue cooking over low heat so the interior cooks properly. This last part should be done in a covered vessel or the oven to contain the heat.

I actually don't care for grill pans because they complicate to cooking process. I'd rather use a cast iron skillet or tri-ply stainless that can be lidded or go into the oven.