"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-15-2009, 03:29 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

So for tender cuts, fast and furious gets more tender results??
Why is that the opposite for tougher cuts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Personally I would cook a chuck-eye steak fast and furious!! The hotter and quicker the better...Medium Rare...no more.

Old 01-15-2009, 03:31 PM   #12
Head Chef

Tender cuts are from muscles that are not used much.

Tough cuts come from muscles that are used often. They require longer cooking because of that.

The luster of shiny new appliances can't compete with the virtues of Vintage: namely durability, simplicity, superior cooking and a cool retro look. http://leoladyshousecollectiblesandg....blogspot.com/
http://leoladysw.blogspot.com/
Leolady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 03:35 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

I find that if the heat is too high, the steak gets burned on the outside, and is too raw on the inside.

Quote:
Personally I would cook a chuck-eye steak fast and furious!! The hotter and quicker the better...Medium Rare...no more.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:39 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leolady View Post
I see them in the store all the time. They call chuck "steak" charcoal steak here!

It is thinner than the chuck roast, and that's the only difference.
A chuck "steak" and a Chuck-eye "steak" are different...Both from the chuck, but different...The Chuck-eye can at times be almost as good as a Rib-eye...My experience -- most times they are not...Both can be cooked fast and hot with some degree of success. When I see Chuck-eyes...I leave them in the counter...They are usually over priced for what they are...When I see chuck steaks...I normally think moist cooking methods/recipes etc.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 03:40 PM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:

A chuck steak is too tough for me. Same with chuck-eye, which I seldom see cut into a steak -- it's generally a larger hunk.

Anything labeled chuck gets braised. Unless it's a burger.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:41 PM   #16
Head Chef

I think that I should have been clearer.

There is a thin, thin chuck steak here that they call charcoal steak.
The luster of shiny new appliances can't compete with the virtues of Vintage: namely durability, simplicity, superior cooking and a cool retro look. http://leoladyshousecollectiblesandg....blogspot.com/
http://leoladysw.blogspot.com/
Leolady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 03:45 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Too raw?

I have several grills, but my favorite is the Weber. It's a domed shape, charcoal grill with vents in the bottom sides and top. I can take an inch and a half ribeye, throw it on at about 425+, and cook it for a total of about eight minutes and it will have a hot pink center with no blood. Raw for me is blood in the meat and that is unacceptable for me. But the Weber, with it's unique shape, is able to produce rare to med with no blood. It's a great grill and gives a great tasting steak.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:46 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

I still don't understand how a oven is different to a smoker (aside from the the difference in flavor). I know people slow cook beef tenderloins in smokers but would not put it in an oven. Is a smoker more moist than an oven?
Old 01-15-2009, 03:49 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by grgryl
So for tender cuts, fast and furious gets more tender results??
Why is that the opposite for tougher cuts?
In simple terms...It takes longer to break down the tougher muscle fibers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grgryl
I find that if the heat is too high, the steak gets burned on the outside, and is too raw on the inside.
On the stove sear (brown) your steak on each side in a very hot pan...Cast iron is good. Finish in a hot oven if needed to reach your desired degree of doneness

On an outdoor grill...Same thing. Sear the steak on both sides directly over the source of heat...Then move them to an area on the grill that is not directly over the heat to finish.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 03:53 PM   #20
Senior Cook

Interesting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leolady View Post
I think that I should have been clearer.

There is a thin, thin chuck steak here that they call charcoal steak.
...and not to high jack this thread, but I remember in the seventies that the meat department came up with many different names of meat. One was a "round tip-cap off" or some wild name I'd never heard of. Years later I found out that our "gubment" was taxing beef like crazy and meat procucers were naming their cuts of beef different names to avoid certain taxes. I never really knew this to be the whole truth, but I haven't see exotic cuts of beet since.