Is it safe to deepfry in a pan on the stove?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Overall I think you'll better performance in a heavy pot (preferably cast iron) than you will in an electric fryer. Obviously you have to be careful and mind safety protocols including fire, but that applies to an electric model as well.

I have always deep fried using a an almost rounded pan (like an Indian Kadai). I don't own a fryer and actually the one I got as a gift by Waring I just returned back to Crate and Barrel.

To me it's easier to fry in a kadai. It's been done for generations and yes just use a little caution and you will be fine. For example hot oil and water don't mix well so you have to be careful about stuff like that but other than that when I do need to fry chicken, shrimp, pakoras, samosas, patties I do it in a kadai.

DH does it. Get the grease to 375 and don't over-crowd the pan.

It scares me to death...I had a fire many years ago, when the pot I was boiling potatoes in boiled over and splashed into the skillet in which I was frying chicken, which in turn splashed grease onto the burner. Like the calm 24 year old I was, I panicked and dumped the whole pan of boiling potatoes on the blazing skillet. My dad had a fit when he heard about it...said it was a wonder I didn't get burned or electrocuted. As with many other times in my life, someone must have been watching over me.

I have good luck frying in an electric skillet in 1 1/2 inch of preheated oil. The food comes out crisp on the outside and tender on the inside.

sparrowgrass, it's one of my signature dishes and it only works with oil close to 450. I freeze sashimi slices, and then when I'm ready, I coat with tempura batter. The batter has to crisp up instantaneously, maybe five seconds, or else the thinly cut sashimi will cook instead of remaining raw. Maguro keeps disappointing me, but salmon is wonderful. It's scary to make because of the oil temp and assembly speed it requires, but it makes people happy so I keep cooking it and trying to perfect it.

just a quick addendum note: I strongly discourage anyone attempting this. The violence is scary. The batter must not become chilled from the frozen sashimi. Its temperature compared to the super hot oil will cause an explosion.

just a quick addendum note: I strongly discourage anyone attempting this. The violence is scary. The batter must not become chilled from the frozen sashimi. Its temperature compared to the super hot oil will cause an explosion.

Can I find this on youtube anywhere?

:LOL:

You should write a cookbook entitled "Things you should not attempt to cook!" This can be your first recipe!

:shock:Barbara

DaveSoMD said:
So Skittle what are/were you deep frying?

I'm making buffalo wings, home made onion rings, and sweet potato fries. It's going to be a finger food bonanza lol. I bought a candy thermometer, and experimented to see how much the wings would decrease the temp of the oil, and decided I need a lot of oil for Monday's poker game lol. They turned out great tho! So did the swt potato fries! On the plus side, I'm a fire bug- love camping, so if (knock on wood) I were to have a fire I know how to stay calm, and will have the fire extinguisher handy. I did already know not to put water on a grease fire, but you can never be told too many times!!

Oh they are healthier that way? Well.. that's done then. :LOL:

I can cook more wings faster that way. We have a little old fry daddy.

I'm making buffalo wings, home made onion rings, and sweet potato fries. It's going to be a finger food bonanza lol. I bought a candy thermometer, and experimented to see how much the wings would decrease the temp of the oil, and decided I need a lot of oil for Monday's poker game lol. They turned out great tho! So did the swt potato fries! On the plus side, I'm a fire bug- love camping, so if (knock on wood) I were to have a fire I know how to stay calm, and will have the fire extinguisher handy. I did already know not to put water on a grease fire, but you can never be told too many times!!

Some of that Lake Superior whitefish should be yummy deep fried.

It's been about 2-3 years since I've had deep fried wings. You folks are giving me a yearning.

It's been about 2-3 years since I've had deep fried wings. You folks are giving me a yearning.

Hmmmmm... deep fried wings tossed with Frank's Red Hot Sauce and melter butter, and a side bowl of blue cheese dressing, and some crisp celery!!!

Be still my beating heart :LOL: I love Buffalo wings.
I just always grill my wings now. I could never find an electric deep fryer that would maintain temp for a "decent" amount of wings. I should give my stovetop fryer a try.

DaveSoMD said:
Healthier yes, but you definitely do not get the same crisp to the wing as you do with deep frying.

You can get them dang close on the grill. I don't like to do them in the oven because the high temp you need to get them crispy makes the grease smoke. I love buffalo wings too. I always cut up my celery and soak it in ice cold water in the fridge for an hour, and it makes it crisp crisp crisp. I did that once to restore limp celery, and it worked so well I do it all the time now. In case you're interested, celery gets limp when it gets dehydrated, because when the cells get "deflated" it can't hold its structure anymore. Soaking it in water makes it seem like you just picked it from the garden. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom