"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-22-2005, 02:16 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Is my olive oil bad?

I bought a bottle of extra virgin olive oil today and used it to cook dinner. Afterwards, I noticed some stuff floating in the bottle. I assumed it was bad, but then I was reading around Google and it seems stuff floating in the bottle isn't necessarily a bad thing. However, I couldn't find any kind of description of the "sediment" or a picture.

The stuff in my bottle is a bunch of small (maybe .5 cm in diameter) whitish balls floating around the bottom. Does this sound like normal sediment? I can't tell if the olive oil smells bad because I usually don't smell the olive oil from the bottle, and it looks like the right color. My dinner tasted fine, but I didn't use much oil.

Old 01-22-2005, 03:38 AM   #2

Sounds a bit "weird" doesn't it?

My guess is that you have somehow trapped some water or condensate, (water being of a higher specific gravity) that is "captured" by the oil in these strange "bubbles" at the bottom of the bottle...

Personally, I would decant it, and use up the "non-bubbly" oil, fairly freely...

The "lawyers" of the List will shortly be upon you to throw the whole thing out, to avoid all doubt, and that will be "your choice"...

For $5-10 throwing is out is probably no big financial hardship, as opposed the potential "risks" of what the unknown may be holding...

Lifter

"I'm only a man
In a phoney red sheet
Searching for Kryptonite, on a city street
And its not easy,
to be.."me"..."
But "your call"

Old 01-22-2005, 08:11 AM   #3
Head Chef

What disturbs me is that the "whitish balls" are hanging around the bottom. If this were water, it would rise to the top.

Hmmm....

I'd take it back where I got it and have the bottle exchanged for another without any "whitish balls."
Old 01-22-2005, 09:14 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

i've seen that when olive oil is refrigerated. i've also heard that it is harmless, but i don't know what it is. maybe some temperature related congealed oil. if you're gonna throw it away, maybe you could try to warm up the bottle and see if it goes away.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 12:37 PM   #5
Senior Cook

it sounds like water. water is heavier than oil [oil is just more viscous or thicker] so it's going to sink. just strain the oil thru cheesecloth or some fabric and i'll bet those little white balls disappear.
Old 01-22-2005, 06:58 PM   #6
Certified Executive Chef

Re: Is my olive oil bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by artichoke
I bought a bottle of extra virgin olive oil today and used it to cook dinner. Afterwards, I noticed some stuff floating in the bottle. I assumed it was bad, but then I was reading around Google and it seems stuff floating in the bottle isn't necessarily a bad thing. However, I couldn't find any kind of description of the "sediment" or a picture.
Artichoke, I would return the bottle to where you purchased it and inquire of them and compare to an unopened bottle. I have done that and they will happily help you and even take it back. I do nto know of any sediment in olive oil unless it is seasoned like with garlic, or some herbs but they would be identified on the label.
Old 01-22-2005, 09:17 PM   #7
Executive Chef

When in doubt throw out.
Old 01-22-2005, 09:25 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Cold pressed, unfiltered olive oils will have a sediment or cloudiness to them, but I'm intrigued by the description of these little 'balls'.....sounds like it may be mould. Are they furry or smooth? I would decant them out and examine them a bit more closely!

Paint.
Old 01-23-2005, 01:51 AM   #9
Assistant Cook

Thanks for the replies, everybody. Harmless or not, I brought the bottle back to the store today and exchanged it. Interestingly enough, every single one of the bottles of that size had the little balls in them. I had to go to a smaller size just to get a clear bottle. strange, strange.
Old 01-23-2005, 01:55 AM   #10
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paint
Are they furry or smooth?
Probably more furry than smooth, and they weren't opaque, though not transparent either. I find it odd that a lot of them "dissolved" after the bottle was in my house for a few hours.. would mold do that? The ones I saw in the store today had a lot more little balls in them than mine did by the time I brought it back.