Is sourdough bread worth putting the effort in for?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tain

Assistant Cook
I like sourdough bread, but it's days and days of effort to make. And considering there are other just as good breads you can make or even buy, is it worth the trouble??

Absolutely! Especially once you get your starter well established, it just gets better! Yes, it's work but most of the better things in life take a little more effort to acquire.

+3

I received the most rave review from a batch of sourdough, mixed with an equal amount of regular bread dough made with store-bought yeast, and then wrapped around hot dogs to make pigs-in-the-blanket. I'd made them before with just store-bought yeast leavened bread dough.

The resultant mixture was better than either the straight sour dough, or commercial yeast doughs.

As for straight sour dough bread, you can't beat it with a hearty bowl of bean, lentil, or spit pea soup. It's also great for Reuben Sandwiches, when you don't want to use rye.

It has so much flavor.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

If I can buy a fresh loaf of Boudin's sour dough, I would never attempt to make a better loaf. However, any loaf of fresh baked bread would be wonderful for my family.

Every time I go to San Francisco I bring back six loaves of Boudins sourdough in their "suitcase" package, then I double wrap and freeze five of them. It usually lasts me about two or three months, then I have to go back to San Francisco and get some more.

Yes, sourdough bread is worth the effort. I found a good recipe for cracked wheat sourdough, and have to limit my baking or I will end up weighing three or four hundred pounds.

You should try sourdough with spelt flour. I have a friend who always thought "meh" about sourdough until he tried some spelt sourdough bread. "Oh my, that's good. Now I 'get' sourdough!"

After starting this thread, I took myself up to London and bought two loaves of St Johns Bakery sourdough bread for my family to try. Turns out that none of them like it, so unless I want to bake just for myself then it's a fairly futile effort :'(

After starting this thread, I took myself up to London and bought two loaves of St Johns Bakery sourdough bread for my family to try. Turns out that none of them like it, so unless I want to bake just for myself then it's a fairly futile effort :'(

That's a shame, homemade sourdough is much different from the sourdough from a bakery.

Do not give up. The flavor of sourdough bread can vary depending on such factors as the yeast strain and length & temperature of fermentation.

Here's an easy method to make sourdough cluster rolls. In a medium size glass bowl, mix together 1 cup flour (I use half unbleached and half whole wheat), 1 package yeast, 1 teaspoon sugar, 1 cup of warm water. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and a kitchen towel. Let this sponge sit in a warm place for 24 to 48 hours.

When you are ready to make the rolls, mix 1 tablespoon sugar and 1 teaspoon salt into the sponge. Gradually add about 2 cups of flour. When dough pulls away from sides of bowl, place it on a lightly floured board and knead it until it is smooth -- you may need to add a little more flour. Place kneaded dough in a lightly greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap and a towel. Let rise in a warm place until double in size. Place the dough on a lightly floured board and knead a few times. Divide the dough into balls -- the size of small oranges. Place the balls of dough in a greased baking dish --- the dough balls should be very close together or touching. If desired, brush with olive oil or melted butter. At this time, I like to sprinkle rolls with rosemary or dried herbs. When rolls are almost double in size, put them in a 350 degree F preheated oven. Bake for about 30 minutes or until rolls are brown. Makes about 12 rolls.

I've never liked sourdough anything, but OTOH every baking endeavor I've ever embarked upon was either a total success or a qualified success. My only failings have been that sometimes the result is rather dumpy or collapsed, but I've never baked a single thing that didn't taste great!

IMO anybody who enjoys sourdough recipes and wants to back should take the effort to try some of these recipes.

I'm saddened that I just don't like the sourdough taste so I won't be able to participate.

I think baking your own sourdough would be well worth the effort if you like the taste of sourdough.

Back
Top Bottom