"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 07-04-2012, 10:46 AM   #11
Assistant Cook

After starting this thread, I took myself up to London and bought two loaves of St Johns Bakery sourdough bread for my family to try. Turns out that none of them like it, so unless I want to bake just for myself then it's a fairly futile effort :'(

Old 07-04-2012, 01:26 PM   #12
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tain View Post
After starting this thread, I took myself up to London and bought two loaves of St Johns Bakery sourdough bread for my family to try. Turns out that none of them like it, so unless I want to bake just for myself then it's a fairly futile effort :'(

That's a shame, homemade sourdough is much different from the sourdough from a bakery.

Old 07-04-2012, 05:27 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Do not give up. The flavor of sourdough bread can vary depending on such factors as the yeast strain and length & temperature of fermentation.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:02 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Here's an easy method to make sourdough cluster rolls. In a medium size glass bowl, mix together 1 cup flour (I use half unbleached and half whole wheat), 1 package yeast, 1 teaspoon sugar, 1 cup of warm water. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and a kitchen towel. Let this sponge sit in a warm place for 24 to 48 hours.

When you are ready to make the rolls, mix 1 tablespoon sugar and 1 teaspoon salt into the sponge. Gradually add about 2 cups of flour. When dough pulls away from sides of bowl, place it on a lightly floured board and knead it until it is smooth -- you may need to add a little more flour. Place kneaded dough in a lightly greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap and a towel. Let rise in a warm place until double in size. Place the dough on a lightly floured board and knead a few times. Divide the dough into balls -- the size of small oranges. Place the balls of dough in a greased baking dish --- the dough balls should be very close together or touching. If desired, brush with olive oil or melted butter. At this time, I like to sprinkle rolls with rosemary or dried herbs. When rolls are almost double in size, put them in a 350 degree F preheated oven. Bake for about 30 minutes or until rolls are brown. Makes about 12 rolls.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:47 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
I've never liked sourdough anything, but OTOH every baking endeavor I've ever embarked upon was either a total success or a qualified success. My only failings have been that sometimes the result is rather dumpy or collapsed, but I've never baked a single thing that didn't taste great!

IMO anybody who enjoys sourdough recipes and wants to back should take the effort to try some of these recipes.

I'm saddened that I just don't like the sourdough taste so I won't be able to participate.

I think baking your own sourdough would be well worth the effort if you like the taste of sourdough.