"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-30-2011, 11:36 AM   #11
Wine Guy

I like steak au poivre. But then again, I like steak and I like black pepper. If you want to kick it up a notch, try the same treatment with a hanger steak, which has a lot more flavor than filet, at less than half the price.

Old 10-30-2011, 11:44 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT View Post
THAT is the way more of a bad way to cook a filet than doing au poivre, lol.

I have been in the same boat, Timothy. I have tried to explain that we have already killed the cow, we don't need to kill it again.
How true! she used to say that she could hear my steak mooing still. When asked how he liked his steak cooked, my Father used to say, 'Stick it on an arrow and shoot it over a candle."

Worstershire sauce, salt and lots of black pepper is all I put on my steak. That's a 10 on the Yum Meter!

Old 10-30-2011, 11:44 AM   #13
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
I like steak au poivre. But then again, I like steak and I like black pepper. If you want to kick it up a notch, try the same treatment with a hanger steak, which has a lot more flavor than filet, at less than half the price.
thus many high end restaurant will use dry aged fillet instead of fresh ones. I remember using hanger steak to cook stirfry food, it wasn't too tough lol. but isnt' it a bit too thin?
Old 10-30-2011, 11:55 AM   #14
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperion View Post
thus many high end restaurant will use dry aged fillet instead of fresh ones. I remember using hanger steak to cook stirfry food, it wasn't too tough lol. but isnt' it a bit too thin?
Not if you quick sear it. While filet is traditional for steak au poivre, you can use other cuts, such as ribeye, t-bone, as well. With most recipes you generally cook the steaks first, and then keep them tented on a plate while you prepare the sauce in the same pan. Instead of cooking 4-5 minutes per side, as you would for tenderloin, just quickly sear your hanger steak over high heat for about 2 minutes (or less) per side. For maximum flavor, thinly slice the meat on the bias before spooning the sauce over the top.
Old 10-30-2011, 12:00 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Not if you quick sear it. While filet is traditional for steak au poivre, you can use other cuts, such as ribeye, t-bone, as well. With most recipes you generally cook the steaks first, and then keep them tented on a plate while you prepare the sauce in the same pan. Instead of cooking 4-5 minutes per side, as you would for tenderloin, just quickly sear your hanger steak over high heat for about 2 minutes (or less) per side. For maximum flavor, thinly slice the meat on the bias before spooning the sauce over the top.
interesting! I'll try that
Old 10-30-2011, 12:25 PM   #16
Head Chef

Quote:
I agree. Filet mignon really has zero flavor and we use the sauce to give it flavor while enjoying its buttery melts in your mouth texture.
I had an filet from Argentine beef a few days ago that was full of flavor. The only thing they seasoned with was salt. I hate so say it as much as I love American beef but Argentine is better.

For your photo I have found its better to put the sauce on the plate, meat of top of the sauce. Then add a contrasting bright color (red or green) say some fresh parsley.
Old 10-30-2011, 12:30 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
I am not a big fan of fillet steak. A well executed sauce is their to enhance but not overpower.Forum bullies who think they are the font of all wisdom are pustules that require lancing.
Post a link to this blog
here you go lol ??_????
it's in complete chinese though
Old 10-30-2011, 02:07 PM   #18
Admiral of the Texas Navy

Haven't had this in ages. Thanks for the reminder and the picture. Adding to my list of things to do.

Old 10-30-2011, 04:20 PM   #19
Senior Cook

I am of the mind that if you enjoy it then its good to go.
Old 10-31-2011, 03:05 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
here you go lol ??_????
it's in complete chinese though
Hyp, thanks I enjoyed looking at the pictures.I do prefer to deep fry my Schnitzels

Tags
cook, steak