Is steak au poivre a bad way to cook filet mignon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hyperion

Senior Cook
I posted my steak au poivre in a chinese forum (well, the reason I post there is to advertise my chinese blog that teaches chinese people how to cook western food), a guy who seems to know a lot of western cooking says it's way to waste the filet mignon. Of course since he's pretty arrogant he wouldn't tell me why it's the case, so I would like to ask yall here is it really a bad way to cook filet mignon?

here's the photo
pretty soon I'll buy a photography lighting set lol

21o4f4m.jpg

I am not a big fan of fillet steak. A well executed sauce is their to enhance but not overpower.Forum bullies who think they are the font of all wisdom are pustules that require lancing.
Post a link to this blog:)

The better the meat the less I do to it.

I let the meat do the talkin!

I wonder if that really relates to Filet Mignon - I would definitely think a good sirloin/T-bone/porterhouse has so much more flavor - and the 'bit of chewiness' only enhances it. So, so far as that goes I might think the Filet NEEDS the pepper sauce :)

The better the meat the less I do to it.

I let the meat do the talkin!

I wonder if that really relates to Filet Mignon - I would definitely think a good sirloin/T-bone/porterhouse has so much more flavor - and the 'bit of chewiness' only enhances it. So, so far as that goes I might think the Filet NEEDS the pepper sauce :)

I agree. Filet mignon really has zero flavor and we use the sauce to give it flavor while enjoying its buttery melts in your mouth texture.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll pass up a Fillet Mignon for a Porterhouse any day. I'll completely ignore a Fillet Mignon for a well grilled Ribeye, dripping with juices.

The only steak my wife would eat was a Fillet Mignon that was cooked to death, so overly done that it was a dry piece of tough leather. It made me cringe to cook any piece of meat that way, but she loved it that way.

I"m talking 30 minutes of grill time. Fillet Mignon has never impressed me much.

Well, in the spirit of Au Poivre, the traditional cut IS a filet, so in keeping with authenticity you can tell the guy to go kick rocks, you are doing the Right cut for the recipe regardless of if it is a waste of tenderloin, or not.

Personally, I am all about a rib eye.

...was a Fillet Mignon that was cooked to death, so overly done that it was a dry piece of tough leather. . .

THAT is the way more of a bad way to cook a filet than doing au poivre, lol.

I have been in the same boat, Timothy. I have tried to explain that we have already killed the cow, we don't need to kill it again.

The thicker the steak, the more I like a sauce with it. I tend to take a slightly larger bite with a thick steak. I love to have the great flavor of beef along with a nice sauce. Plus, like mentioned, filets lend themselves well to sauces, crusts and a little help to boost the flavor.

I have been in the same boat, Timothy. I have tried to explain that we have already killed the cow, we don't need to kill it again.
lol.. regardless, cooking it full is always safer than eating it half cooked. if she enjoys it then no problem :) but for me, I would always eat any beef raw...

I like steak au poivre. But then again, I like steak and I like black pepper. If you want to kick it up a notch, try the same treatment with a hanger steak, which has a lot more flavor than filet, at less than half the price.

How true! she used to say that she could hear my steak mooing still. When asked how he liked his steak cooked, my Father used to say, 'Stick it on an arrow and shoot it over a candle."

Worstershire sauce, salt and lots of black pepper is all I put on my steak. That's a 10 on the Yum Meter!

I like steak au poivre. But then again, I like steak and I like black pepper. If you want to kick it up a notch, try the same treatment with a hanger steak, which has a lot more flavor than filet, at less than half the price.
thus many high end restaurant will use dry aged fillet instead of fresh ones. I remember using hanger steak to cook stirfry food, it wasn't too tough lol. but isnt' it a bit too thin?

thus many high end restaurant will use dry aged fillet instead of fresh ones. I remember using hanger steak to cook stirfry food, it wasn't too tough lol. but isnt' it a bit too thin?
Not if you quick sear it. While filet is traditional for steak au poivre, you can use other cuts, such as ribeye, t-bone, as well. With most recipes you generally cook the steaks first, and then keep them tented on a plate while you prepare the sauce in the same pan. Instead of cooking 4-5 minutes per side, as you would for tenderloin, just quickly sear your hanger steak over high heat for about 2 minutes (or less) per side. For maximum flavor, thinly slice the meat on the bias before spooning the sauce over the top.

Not if you quick sear it. While filet is traditional for steak au poivre, you can use other cuts, such as ribeye, t-bone, as well. With most recipes you generally cook the steaks first, and then keep them tented on a plate while you prepare the sauce in the same pan. Instead of cooking 4-5 minutes per side, as you would for tenderloin, just quickly sear your hanger steak over high heat for about 2 minutes (or less) per side. For maximum flavor, thinly slice the meat on the bias before spooning the sauce over the top.
interesting! I'll try that

I agree. Filet mignon really has zero flavor and we use the sauce to give it flavor while enjoying its buttery melts in your mouth texture.

I had an filet from Argentine beef a few days ago that was full of flavor. The only thing they seasoned with was salt. I hate so say it as much as I love American beef but Argentine is better.

For your photo I have found its better to put the sauce on the plate, meat of top of the sauce. Then add a contrasting bright color (red or green) say some fresh parsley.

Last edited:
I am not a big fan of fillet steak. A well executed sauce is their to enhance but not overpower.Forum bullies who think they are the font of all wisdom are pustules that require lancing.
Post a link to this blog:)

here you go lol ??_????
it's in complete chinese though

Back
Top Bottom