Is there a No-FAT Olive Oil?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chile Chef

Sous Chef
Is there a true eevo that has no fat what so ever? or very little fat?

I just looked at the davinchi eevo and it has 14 fat grams per table spoon.

I don't want to eat that much in one setting. Any idea's?

All oils, olive or otherwise, have the same amount of fat. Oil is fat.

The differences are in how much of that fat is saturated, unsaturated, polyunsaturated or monounsaturated.

If you reread that label, you'll see that the serving size is 15 grams and that 15 gram sample contains 14 grams of fat.

It has fat, but more of the "good" fat than most other oils, shortening, lard, or butter. Olive oil is very high in monosaturated fats, which is believe to reduce the risk of heart disease. And it tastes good.

BTW, I despise the term "EVOO" -- it's so cutsie it makes me gag. Besides, it's almost redundant since most of the olive oil sold to consumers in this country is in fact extra virgin.

All oils, olive or otherwise, have the same amount of fat. Oil is fat.

The differences are in how much of that fat is saturated, unsaturated, polyunsaturated or monounsaturated.

If you reread that label, you'll see that the serving size is 15 grams and that 15 gram sample contains 14 grams of fat.

It has fat, but more of the "good" fat than most other oils, shortening, lard, or butter. Olive oil is very high in monosaturated fats, which is believe to reduce the risk of heart disease. And it tastes good.

BTW, I despise the term "EVOO" -- it's so cutsie it makes me gag. Besides, it's almost redundant since most of the olive oil sold to consumers in this country is in fact extra virgin.
Thanks guys, And scotch I got your message.

Andy, The stuff I've been using only has 2 grams of saturated fat.

Thanks guys, And scotch I got your message.

Andy, The stuff I've been using only has 2 grams of saturated fat.
That's normal. A tablespoon of olive oil has 119 calories and 13.5 grams of total fat, which includes only 1.9 grams of saturated fat, 1.4 grams of polyunsaturated fat, and a whopping 9.8 grams of monosaturated fat, including 103 mg of Omega-3 fatty acids, and 1318 mg of Omega-6 fatty acids -- which is why it's so much better for you than most other oils or fats.

This site has a lot of good information about such things: CLICK ME

Yup. And the rest is some combination of the other fat types I listed.

That's normal. A tablespoon of olive oil has 119 calories and 13.5 grams of total fat, which includes only 1.9 grams of saturated fat, 1.4 grams of polyunsaturated fat, and a whopping 9.8 grams of monosaturated fat, including 103 mg of Omega-3 fatty acids, and 1318 mg of Omega-6 fatty acids -- which is why it's so much better for you than most other oils or fats.

This site has a lot of good information about such things: CLICK ME
Thanks guys, Andy, on the davinchi extra olive oil those other ingredients was 0.

Thanks guys, Andy, on the davinchi extra olive oil those other ingredients was 0.

You're not reading it carefully.

Serving size is a tablespoon. That equals 14 grams.

That 14 grams is made up entirely of fat. Some is saturated fat, some is monounsaturaed fat and some is polyunsaturated fat. But it's all fat.

Check out the link Scotch posted. That spells it out for you.

Companies are required to list only certain information on the bottle or package, including total fat, saturated fat, and trans fat, but no other fats. Trans fat is bad for your health as it tends to increase your LDL or "bad" cholesterol levels. Olive oil has no trans fat.

Correction: Some list polyunsaturated and mono saturated fats, too. The olive oil I'm currently using, Safeway Select says it has 2 grams of polyunsaturated and 10 grams of monosaturated fat per tablespoon (15 ml). I'm not sure whether they're required to list that information or because it probably helps sell the stuff.

BTW, don't laugh at the Safeway Select Extra Virgin Olive Oil -- it's quite good, on a par with Bertolli or Colavita, IMO. It's grown in Italy, Spain, and Tunisia (one of the largest olive producing areas in the world), packed in Italy, and often on sale for only $15 for 2 liters.

All oils contain the same amount of fat and calories.

14 grams of fat and 120 calories per tablespoon.

Last edited by a moderator:
All oils contain the same amount of fat and calories.

14 grams of fat and 120 calories.
But they differ significantly in the amounts of the various TYPES of fat they contain, and that matters health wise. They also vary in taste, and that matters in cooking.

Another important distinction between different oils is the ratio of omega-3 vs. omega 6 essential fatty acids and omega-9 fatty acid content. Most people consume too much omega-6 efa vs. omega-3 efa.

The best vegetable oil source of omega-3 fatty acid is flax oil. Canola also is a decent source (about 1/7 as high as flax). Olive oil is high in omega-9 fatty acids.

I've removed the extraneous chat.

Chile chef, has your question been sufficiently answered? To recap, oil=fat. There are however, bad fats and good fats. See the link posted for which is which.

Edit: I'm closing this until CC lets me know if his question is fully answered.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom