"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 04-29-2012, 07:44 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Is this a good basic steak marinade?

After googling steak marinades i just put together a steak marinade. Im on a budget so nothing fancy. I'll be making this on a pan, since i dont have a grill.

For now I know i wanna add this...
-2-3 tbsp veg oil
-1 tbsp minced garlic
-salt and pepper
-maybe 1/2 cup of water

Here are the other things i wanna add. I read about acids can worsen the meat if it marinades overnight. Its better to just marinate for a few hours. So i dunno how much of these i wanna add or should add
-1/2 - 1 cup beef broth, diced tomatoes, and onions
-franks hot sauce original
-lemon juice

and im thinking of buying some kinda sauce i can add to the marinade. i want a flavorful steak. I'd like to leave it in the fridge overnight and cook it for lunch.

Old 04-29-2012, 07:58 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

In general, marinades need some oil, an acid such as vinegar or citrus juice and seasonings via herbs, spices etc. No salt.

An acidic environment shouldn't be a problem unless you marinate for an excessive period. If you want to cook steaks for lunch, put them in the marinade at breakfast. That'll do the trick.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:02 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

i usually dont get up early so i cant wake up and make the marinade. im not gonna add a lot of acid like lemon juice, just about a teaspoon or half
Old 04-29-2012, 08:03 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Make the marinade the night before and add it to the steak before you go to work.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:13 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

lol thats a hilarious quote in your sig btw

but it sounds like you're against marinating steak overnight? Is the meat gonna be tough or produce a sour taste? I read about that so am a bit concerned.

and i dont have a job, so there's not many reasons for me to wake up early. i do sometimes, but not for food lol
Old 04-29-2012, 08:15 PM   #6
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Marinade for just an hour or two. There really isn't any need to marinate a steak for longer.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:15 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasty food View Post
-maybe 1/2 cup of water
I can't see any useful purpose to adding water to your marinade.

Another ingredient you may consider is balsamic vinegar. A small amount, not a whole lot. It's very flavorful.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:26 PM   #8
Master Chef

Don't marinade at all. Some seasoning and that's it. You can make some sauce to serve it with, but no marinade.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:30 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasty food View Post
lol thats a hilarious quote in your sig btw

but it sounds like you're against marinating steak overnight? Is the meat gonna be tough or produce a sour taste? I read about that so am a bit concerned.

and i dont have a job, so there's not many reasons for me to wake up early. i do sometimes, but not for food lol

Not against overnight marinating. It's just not necessary. As Princess Fiona said, a couple of hours is enough. Steaks are thin - a lot of surface area for a small amount of meat so marinades flavor the meat quickly.

I also agree with Greg. You don't need the water.

This type of marinade will not toughen or sour a steak. The internet is a wonderful place but you can read a lot of crap disguised as good advice.

I don't get up early for food either.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:03 PM   #10
Executive Chef

As Andy pointed out, overnight is unnecessary. Perhaps 30-60 minutes. Or as Charlie said, maybe not at all. Experiment. Whatever you like is the way to go. Try different things and keep notes, either formally or in your head.

Another idea I like if you're going to marinate: finely minced garlic or fresh ginger or both. And it might be a good idea to scrape or wipe off to avoid burned garlic/ginger on the surface of the steak.

Tags
steak