Is this a good idea? Any tips? Any vegetarian alternatives to Parmesan cheese?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Xanco

Assistant Cook
Hi peoples.

I'm 17, I'm a vegetarian, and I want to start to properly cook. On Saturday I'm cooking dinner, so I have decided to cook; soft tofu and shell pasta, covered in a tick Parmesan cheese and mushroom sauce served with a chunk of warm crusty bread.

I'm buying pasta and tofu from the supermarket, I'm not making pasta and tofu by hand just yet. I am going to make the sauce nice and thick, and enough of it so that it covers the pasta and leave a small amount of soup at the bottom - hence the warm crusty bread. Do you think that my meal is OK? Would you make any changes?

I know that Parmesan cheese isn't really vegetarian, due to how it's made. I wouldn't really mind how it's made, but my mum wouldn't it it (she's a really strict vegetarian). Can you suggest an alternative?

Thanks,
Xanco

There are plenty of cheeses in the supermarket that are made without rennet. Most of them, actually.

Id actually suggest choosing one that isnt a hard grating cheese like parm. Hard cheeses like that are hard to melt into a sauce.

Cheese is not vegetarian by any stretch. But there are vegan "cheeses" in Whole Foods. Not sure what kind, but what us more important? Completely vegetarian or type of cheese?

Cheese is not vegetarian by any stretch. But there are vegan "cheeses" in Whole Foods. Not sure what kind, but what us more important? Completely vegetarian or type of cheese?

Lots of vegetarians eat cheese :yum: Just not the kind made from animal rennet.

And the OP is in Liverpool (presumably England) where I doubt there is a Whole Foods.

For sure.

But if you are a vegetarian that eats cheese, as the OP does, there's no need to venture into the world of soy cheese. It's not very good.

Didn't say it was. I was just responding to your statement that there is probably not a Whole Foods in Liverpool. If the OP wants non-dairy cheese for his/her mother, they don't need a Whole Foods.

Let's get this clear. Is your mum ovo lacto vegetarian? Vegan (no animal products whatsoever)? Or some other flavour of vegetarian?

i made a similar dish, and in addition to the thick cheesy sauce with mushrooms, I add spinach too. Adds some flavor and green to the dish.

BTW, Im vegetarian too ( for 25 + years)

Let's get this clear. Is your mum ovo lacto vegetarian? Vegan (no animal products whatsoever)? Or some other flavour of vegetarian?

I doubt the OP would have created a menu with cheese sauce if she were not a lacto- vegetarian. That and her concern about how parm cheese is made(usually with cow rennet) suggests so too.

Well, if the cow rennet is a problem, I suggest using Kosher Parm, it is made with vegetable rennet.

I doubt the OP would have created a menu with cheese sauce if she were not a lacto- vegetarian. That and her concern about how parm cheese is made(usually with cow rennet) suggests so too.

The OP asks in the thread title for a vegetarian alternative for Parmesan cheese.

You can get vegetarian Cheeses in supermarkets in the UK plus we have a really good variety of health food stores too, you can also get it online at the likes of Goodness Direct ? If the OP is in Liverpool England I would imagine you would be able to get it here, where have you looked ?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom