"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-11-2016, 09:50 AM   #11
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Even if it was cooked, there's no problem with storing the wrapped chicken in the fridge for a couple of days before cooking it. Why do you think there would be?
In the UK it's a big no no to mix raw meat with cooked meats & are not even allowed on the same shelves in the fridges or freezers.The EO (Environmental office) who lay down the rules to caterers & we as chefs have to follow.

My guess would be that raw meats have more bacteria on them than cooked does & so would make the cooked meat way more harmful for us to eat.

You must have the same storage rules in the US with regards to cooked meats & raw meats being packaged together ?

Old 01-11-2016, 10:06 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Yes, we do, but you're talking about two different situations now. Raw meat can contaminate cooked meat if they're stored together, and if you then eat the cooked meat without cooking it again, of course you can get sick. But you are planning to cook the pancetta-wrapped chicken, so as long as the chicken is thoroughly cooked, any bacteria on the pancetta will be killed as well.

Old 01-11-2016, 10:09 AM   #13
Master Chef

GG is right. We have the same rules here but its raw meat that can contaminate cooked meat so raw is always stored on a lower shelf. Cooked meat can't contaminate raw meat.

The only issue might be if the pancetta were hot when you wrapped it. That might cause the bacteria level of the raw meat to increase.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:52 AM   #14
Assistant Cook

My issue was that if you give bacteria more time or even better conditions (raw with cooked) to grow,then in some cases even if you cook the food properly,you can't kill all the bacteria,hence why people get still get food poison.

I'll be eating it in about an hour from now & so if you don't hear from me then I'm pan-bread (dead).

Thanks guys for your help it's appreciated.
Old 01-11-2016, 11:33 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarPlums View Post
My issue was that if you give bacteria more time or even better conditions (raw with cooked) to grow,then in some cases even if you cook the food properly,you can't kill all the bacteria,hence why people get still get food poison.

I'll be eating it in about an hour from now & so if you don't hear from me then I'm pan-bread (dead).

Thanks guys for your help it's appreciated.
Putting raw food with cooked food does not change the environment in which the raw food exists. As long as it's refrigerated, it doesn't make any difference whether they are touching each other or stored in different packaging; the growth rate will be the same.

People get food poisoning because 1) they have not cooked the food to the proper temperature, 2) there was cross-contamination, i.e., poultry juices from a cutting board got on salad ingredients, which were then eaten raw, or 3) they ate contaminated produce raw.
Old 01-11-2016, 11:45 AM   #16
Head Chef

The only reason I can think of for such "rules" is because it's possible that the cooked or cured meat can and might be eaten without further preparation or cooking, and thus any contamination from the raw meat would not be dealt with. As long as both are being cooked properly after being mixed, there is no reason for concern.
Old 01-11-2016, 01:59 PM   #17
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
The only reason I can think of for such "rules" is because it's possible that the cooked or cured meat can and might be eaten without further preparation or cooking, and thus any contamination from the raw meat would not be dealt with. As long as both are being cooked properly after being mixed, there is no reason for concern.

Right. I think in the US these rules is more about food prep surfaces like cutting boards and counters; also utensils. I know in the commercial food industry this is the case.
Old 01-11-2016, 02:39 PM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Right. I think in the US these rules is more about food prep surfaces like cutting boards and counters; also utensils. I know in the commercial food industry this is the case.

There are lots of rules about storage of raw and cooked food, and most of them are not about surfaces. Like storing raw food below cooked in a walk-in. OP is right that raw and cooked should be kept separate but that's because the raw can contaminate the cooked. The OP seems to have that backwards.

I'm about to take the ServSafe exam ...

http://www.hartnell.edu/sites/defaul...fety_guide.pdf
Old 01-11-2016, 03:02 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
I'm about to take the ServSafe exam ...

http://www.hartnell.edu/sites/defaul...fety_guide.pdf
My certificate is good for two more years
Old 01-11-2016, 06:10 PM   #20
Master Chef

Wish me well I'm taking the test next week!! I've passed 2 practice tests.

Then I'm off to a commercial kitchen!