Is this still edible?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There's probably a chance that there's something growing it... but I would have eaten something like that again without a second thought. I would just make sure to microwave the **** out of it first.

I'm sure I've eaten much more dangerous things than that, too. I remember my freshman year of college my roomie moved out about a week before me, and took his fridge with, and I had about $20 to feed me for the rest of the week. There's a pizza place down here that sells $4 large cheese pizzas on Monday nights though, so I bought 4, and left the delivery guy with decent tip, and cheese pizza for the rest of the week. Never refrigerated, never microwaved, never got sick.

I would have said to toss it before reading this thread. Now I now why I was right. Thanks for the education!

Gretchen said:
I promise--it won't kill you.
Really! How you gonna keep that promise?

You ever have food poisoning? I have, three times in my life, once from a church picnic when I was a kid (my mom got it, too), once from the dorm in college, and once from a lovely now-defunct L.A. landmark called Kosher Burritto (don't ask).

Food poisoning is pretty close to dying. Imagine the worst, most uncontrollable stomach flu you've ever had, then double that. And guess what? It does kill people.

It's foolish to play roulette with your health, especially when you're talking about a buck or two worth of leftovers.

yep, meal poisining is 'somethin you may choose to avoid. you avoid a poisining. or else get a stock of paper products cause you'll be begging for them. yeah, you flush your electolytes, you'll likely be a tad upset that you consumed 'tater salad.
i'll toss oysters on a half by a dozen to my stomcah. delicious. misconception. raw seafood or sashimi from a prestegious restaurant? i'm consuming!
choose wisely, i say.

Last edited:
Barb L said:
Thanks, I'll eat it - just won't serve it to my 2yr. old grandson - his stomach isn't cast iron yet !!:ROFLMAO:

Thats what I would do. Its much better to know what happened to your food and know the limits. As for going out and eating, does anyone have any idea how often this happens to the food you eat? All the time.

The ONLY time I've ever had food poisoning in my entire life, has been when I ate from a restaurant. And equally, the only times that food gives me an upset stomach, is take-out food, never when I eat from home.

thecactuswill said:
...food poisoning in my entire life, has been when I ate from a restaurant. And equally, the only times that food gives me an upset stomach, is take-out food, never when I eat from home.

...and the only time I've had food poisoning is in private homes.

Which suggests it can happen anywhere.

Andy M. said:
...and the only time I've had food poisoning is in a private home. Which suggests it can happen anywhere.

You did not negate my point sir, you in fact reinforced it. The only time you've had food poisoning, is when you yourself did not prepare/handle the food.

When in doubt, throw it out!

I wouldn't chance it. Why would you want to risk getting sick? There is no food under the sun that is worth that!

I think some very knowledgeable professionals have explained what the possibilities are. And if one wants to be as safe as possible, the answer is throw it out once one has "lost control" over the food...ie leaving out, etc. Certainly do not serve it to guests, younguns, oldsters, or paying customers. (A sub shop in my home state is no more due to doing just that!) Now, whatever you or I decide to do with that slice of pizza on the counter over there...we are making an informed decision.

I will use the same analogy I always use when this topic comes up.

I feel it is sort of like driving without a seatbelt. Just because you have always done it and never got hurt does not make it safe. That one time you do get sick you will be wishing you tossed it.

thecactuswill said:
Thats what I would do. Its much better to know what happened to your food and know the limits. As for going out and eating, does anyone have any idea how often this happens to the food you eat? All the time.

The ONLY time I've ever had food poisoning in my entire life, has been when I ate from a restaurant. And equally, the only times that food gives me an upset stomach, is take-out food, never when I eat from home.

Your point seemed to be that restaurants were the source of food poisoning. See the bolded parts of you post and the all caps ONLY for emphasis.

I have had the opposite experience from you and was suggesting that food poisoning can happen anywhere.

cliveb said:
And another thought, too.Every single American (read US) citizen who has ever been here in my house wants to eat chicken. No seafood, no steak, no lamb, no goat, no pork, no quail - CHICKEN. :LOL:
Again - thoughts, people. Perhaps I think too much!!

I liked your thoughts, and I would be honored to have you cook goat for me, or any other local speciality. A recent side road trip brought me driving near a local farmer who sells 1/2 goats for roasting and stews. Waiting for the cooler days of fall to take him up on it. You bet!

Back
Top Bottom