"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-13-2006, 11:13 AM   #1
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Wink Is this still edible?

My son left a casserole of mac-n-cheese out all night on the counter w/lid on - is it alright to eat ? Had Velvetta, sharp chedder, little butter and milk in it. I put it back in the fridge when I got up at 6:30am. Alot left over too ! bummer - Thanks, for any help ! Barb

Old 09-13-2006, 11:15 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
I wouldn't Barb. Once something's left out for over 4 hours, it creates bacteria. Don't take any chances.

Old 09-13-2006, 11:31 AM   #3
Master Chef

I definitely agree with Dina in principle, but if it were me, I'd still probably reheat & eat it, because I've been guilty of doing this myself before.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:10 PM   #4
Executive Chef

we ask this question a lot here. It was cooked , it was covered, it was night not sitting in the hot sun, etc etc. I would say heat and eat. Others are much more cautious. So be it. If you are uncomfortable enough to ask, toss it.

I often let cheese sit out for hours to get to temperature before serving it. Milk and butter are fine left out for awhile. I think it's perfectly safe. But that's me.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:20 PM   #5
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo410
we ask this question a lot here. It was cooked , it was covered, it was night not sitting in the hot sun, etc etc. I would say heat and eat. Others are much more cautious. So be it. If you are uncomfortable enough to ask, toss it.

I often let cheese sit out for hours to get to temperature before serving it. Milk and butter are fine left out for awhile. I think it's perfectly safe. But that's me.
Thanks, I'll eat it - just won't serve it to my 2yr. old grandson - his stomach isn't cast iron yet !!
Old 09-13-2006, 06:16 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Sorry Barb, you've got to toss it. I don't know what's more dangerous in there, the proteins or the cooked starch.

Once something is cooked it has to be held at 140 degrees. It can be held there for quite some time, although I don't know who'd want to eat anything held for all that time...
However, once your casserole was left on the counter, the temperature began to drop below 140. At that point, it could only safely stay below 140 for 2 hours. Once you hit the two hour mark it would either have to be reaheated to 165 or quickly chilled.

You mention you had quite a bit left...(that really is a shame, it sounds expensive). In the future, when you have a lot of something thick and heavy like that, you've got to break it down into smaller pieces in order to cool it quickly enough. Cooling quickly is just as important as holding at the proper temperature.

My kids have left stuff out before. I am sure you'd agree it is better to toss it than risk getting sick for the price of cheese. Did you ever go into the kitchen in the morning to discover someone left the refrigerator door open?
Old 09-13-2006, 06:17 PM   #7
Senior Cook

i wouldnt touch it
Old 09-13-2006, 06:21 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb L
Thanks, I'll eat it - just won't serve it to my 2yr. old grandson - his stomach isn't cast iron yet !!
Please don't eat it. It really really isn't okay. It's got nothing to do with having a cast iron stomach. It's about microorganisms getting into your bloodstream and causing upper GI distress or lower GI distress. That casserole is a food borne intoxication. Please don't eat it. People tend to be very flippant with how things are defrosted and cooked or held...and it's very serious business. It's not okay to reheat it now....too much time has gone by.
Old 09-13-2006, 06:22 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven S
i wouldnt touch it
Hi Seven. I'm glad you agree with me. I'm sure ChefJune would, as well. I've had to take class after class, year after year about this kind of stuff.
Old 09-13-2006, 06:33 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

Let's face it. You're talking about mac 'n cheese. Throw it out!

Unless you're desperate, homeless and eating out of garbage cans, I can't see any sense in eating something that sat out all night. No matter how much it costs (and really, how much can mac 'n cheese cost). Why take the risk.