Is this true about the leeks "green onions"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chile Chef

Sous Chef
Is this true? You can put the whites stalks in water and change the water once in a while and you will have new green onions?

Also what other herbs can you do this too?

Ah, you watched Next Food Network Star last night too, huh?
(They shoulda booted the lying guy.)

Dunno if this is true, but I will by the end of the week, LOL

First, leeks and green onions are two different things. But, yes, you can put spring onions/green onions in a glass of water and that will preserve them. Simply change the water to keep it clean. You can do the same thing with any herb that you buy fresh, provided it has a stem, again changing the water to keep it clean. I still find a damp paper towel in a ziplock bag preserves for a longer period of time.

What do you mean by "new" green onions. Do you mean will they grow babies? They will root but I have never kept them around long enough to see if new ones will sprout.

Last edited:
Ah, you watched Next Food Network Star last night too, huh?
(They shoulda booted the lying guy.)

Dunno if this is true, but I will by the end of the week, LOL
And yes I did watch it, I watched it from the start, And your right the lying guy guy should have gotten the boot, How ever I'm glad the sleese guy got it though. My fav wannabe star has to be Jamkita, Or how ever you spell her name. I think shes the pretty of all the ladies on the show.

First, leeks and green onions are two different things. But, yes, you can put spring onions/green onions in a glass of water and that will preserve them. Simply change the water to keep it clean. You can do the same thing with any herb that you buy fresh, provided it has a stem, again changing the water to keep it clean. I still find a damp paper towel in a ziplock bag preserves for a longer period of time.

What do you mean by "new" green onions. Do you mean will they grow babies? They will root but I have never kept them around long enough to see if new ones will sprout.
Thanks guys, That's kind of what I meant kitchenelf.

It works for me with basil, but only when I get it at the farmer's market. I trim the stems by about a 1/4" and put them in water. I've had a bunch in the kitchen for 3 weeks. it grows roots and flowers so be sure to pinch back.
I had never heard about the green onion thing until last night's show. Will definitely try it. I hate when they go all limp and dry in the fridge.
Agree about the lying guy. He'll get his soon enough.

The tip on the show was that with green onions, you could keep them in water, chop the greens off, and the white parts would re-grow the greens indefinitely.

I must have missed that tip last night. I thought they should have eliminated BOTH of those slimy guys.

Im confused... what was slimy about the other guy? The one who claimed the meatloaf as his own (after backstabbing in the previous episode) I understand..
but the other guy?
His hair looked slimy..... ;)

(I think Lying Man was kept because of the potential for "good tv".)

Just my opinion here, I thought he was condescending to the home cook. Although I liked him better than the liar.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom