"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-11-2016, 11:47 AM   #41
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: New Hampshire Seacoast
Posts: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Thanks for the link. I saved it, and will read parts of it.
__________________

__________________
tenspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 01:25 PM   #42
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Everyone here would probably be interested in some of Michael Pollan's great books about food ...
I read "The Omnivore's Dilemma." He has some interesting ideas, but he's not a scientist.
__________________

__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 01:28 PM   #43
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenspeed View Post
Thanks for the link. I saved it, and will read parts of it.
You're welcome. Here's some more fun reading:

Quote:
My goal in this post isn't to bash organic farms, instead, it's to bust the worst of the myths that surround them so that everyone can judge organic farming based on facts. In particular, there are four myths thrown around like they're real that just drive me crazy.
Mythbusting 101: Organic Farming > Conventional Agriculture - Scientific American Blog Network

Quote:
Nearly half of the pesticides listed for use by organic farmers under the EU’s Organic Regulation (as listed in Annex II of Regulation 889/2008 of 5 September 2008) have not passed their safety evaluation under the EU’s review under Directive 91/414/EEC. This will present a new challenge to both organic farmers who have few options in their fight against pests and to the crop protection industry which provides their pest management solutions.
Pesticides used in organic farming | European Crop Protection Association
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 02:52 PM   #44
Master Chef
 
jennyema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Boston
Posts: 9,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I read "The Omnivore's Dilemma." He has some interesting ideas, but he's not a scientist.
No it's not science, I get that.

But the economics of eating a pear that is shipped from South America versus a locally grown one is fascinating to learn about.

As is "Big Corn"
__________________
Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 03:03 PM   #45
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
No it's not science, I get that.

But the economics of eating a pear that is shipped from South America versus a locally grown one is fascinating to learn about.

As is "Big Corn"
If we depended only on what is locally grown, many of us would have those nutrient-deficiency diseases that, for most of the world, are far in the past.

Do you know the number 1 reason why young men were refused for service in World War II? They didn't have enough teeth, due to rickets from lack of Vitamin D. That's why it's added to milk and bread. We had an exchange student from Slovakia who told us that rickets is rampant in Russia because of Vitamin D deficiency. I wouldn't be surprised if they have a lot of scurvy and goiter, too.
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 04:06 PM   #46
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: New Hampshire Seacoast
Posts: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Stop confusing me with facts!!

Actually, that's a pretty good read from a reputable source. Very informative. Thanks.
__________________
tenspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 04:12 PM   #47
Executive Chef
 
Sir_Loin_of_Beef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sir Francis Drake Hotel
Posts: 4,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rugged Dude View Post
It's just so easy to add a few buzz words to the label these days and ... "hmmm... let's jack the price a bit" too. I think that many people, who truly have faith in these products would be shocked to learn just how "organic" or "free range" their food products really are.
__________________
Life is much more manageable when thought of as a scavenger hunt as opposed to a surprise party - Jimmy Buffett
Sir_Loin_of_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 04:43 PM   #48
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,291
Those of you who want to continue your argument on GMO need to start another thread or take your arguement to PM. Your bickering has gotten tiresome. Posts have been removed as "Off Topic", if you remember the topic is Food Packaging. Any further "Off Topic" discussion in this thread will have consequences.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 08:08 AM   #49
Senior Cook
 
Farmer Jon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Pender Nebraska
Posts: 235
My son has many food allergies. Wheat, oats, soy, eggs, and all dairy. Intolerance to chicken and a few others.

Wheat free foods get lumped into the gluten free stuff and is pricey. Then because of the milk and egg allergy we are in the vegan section. That is also very pricey. We have to get vegan butter and vegan cheese. Butter and cheese is not cheap anyway but you put vegan in front of it and price goes up.

The looks we get when I walk into whole foods. Wearing my free hat from the chemical company that sprayed our crops. Wondering the vegan isle with meat in my cart.

I should probably stop doing that. I seen a Trump rally on TV. The hippies can get quite violent.
__________________
Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Farmer Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 04:30 PM   #50
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Jon View Post
My son has many food allergies. Wheat, oats, soy, eggs, and all dairy. Intolerance to chicken and a few others.

Wheat free foods get lumped into the gluten free stuff and is pricey. Then because of the milk and egg allergy we are in the vegan section. That is also very pricey. We have to get vegan butter and vegan cheese. Butter and cheese is not cheap anyway but you put vegan in front of it and price goes up.

The looks we get when I walk into whole foods. Wearing my free hat from the chemical company that sprayed our crops. Wondering the vegan isle with meat in my cart.

I should probably stop doing that. I seen a Trump rally on TV. The hippies can get quite violent.
I think you're right about the "V word." The price goes up...

Your story reminds me of once when I walked into a vegetarian market (not realizing until I was already inside) and I was wearing a camo hunting shirt and hat! I thought it was pretty funny... A few of the others did not, however.

RD
__________________

__________________
The Rugged Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.