Isn't some of this stuff a big rip-off?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for the link. I saved it, and will read parts of it.

You're welcome. Here's some more fun reading:

My goal in this post isn't to bash organic farms, instead, it's to bust the worst of the myths that surround them so that everyone can judge organic farming based on facts. In particular, there are four myths thrown around like they're real that just drive me crazy.
Mythbusting 101: Organic Farming > Conventional Agriculture - Scientific American Blog Network

Nearly half of the pesticides listed for use by organic farmers under the EU’s Organic Regulation (as listed in Annex II of Regulation 889/2008 of 5 September 2008) have not passed their safety evaluation under the EU’s review under Directive 91/414/EEC. This will present a new challenge to both organic farmers who have few options in their fight against pests and to the crop protection industry which provides their pest management solutions.
Pesticides used in organic farming | European Crop Protection Association

Last edited:
I read "The Omnivore's Dilemma." He has some interesting ideas, but he's not a scientist.

No it's not science, I get that.

But the economics of eating a pear that is shipped from South America versus a locally grown one is fascinating to learn about.

As is "Big Corn" :ohmy:

No it's not science, I get that.

But the economics of eating a pear that is shipped from South America versus a locally grown one is fascinating to learn about.

As is "Big Corn" :ohmy:

If we depended only on what is locally grown, many of us would have those nutrient-deficiency diseases that, for most of the world, are far in the past.

Do you know the number 1 reason why young men were refused for service in World War II? They didn't have enough teeth, due to rickets from lack of Vitamin D. That's why it's added to milk and bread. We had an exchange student from Slovakia who told us that rickets is rampant in Russia because of Vitamin D deficiency. I wouldn't be surprised if they have a lot of scurvy and goiter, too.

Last edited:
It's just so easy to add a few buzz words to the label these days and ... "hmmm... let's jack the price a bit" too. I think that many people, who truly have faith in these products would be shocked to learn just how "organic" or "free range" their food products really are.

img_1462368_0_4a111f2016e203fc740215eb72af343e.png

Those of you who want to continue your argument on GMO need to start another thread or take your arguement to PM. Your bickering has gotten tiresome. Posts have been removed as "Off Topic", if you remember the topic is Food Packaging. Any further "Off Topic" discussion in this thread will have consequences.

My son has many food allergies. Wheat, oats, soy, eggs, and all dairy. Intolerance to chicken and a few others.

Wheat free foods get lumped into the gluten free stuff and is pricey. Then because of the milk and egg allergy we are in the vegan section. That is also very pricey. We have to get vegan butter and vegan cheese. Butter and cheese is not cheap anyway but you put vegan in front of it and price goes up.

The looks we get when I walk into whole foods. Wearing my free hat from the chemical company that sprayed our crops. Wondering the vegan isle with meat in my cart.

I should probably stop doing that. I seen a Trump rally on TV. The hippies can get quite violent.

My son has many food allergies. Wheat, oats, soy, eggs, and all dairy. Intolerance to chicken and a few others.

Wheat free foods get lumped into the gluten free stuff and is pricey. Then because of the milk and egg allergy we are in the vegan section. That is also very pricey. We have to get vegan butter and vegan cheese. Butter and cheese is not cheap anyway but you put vegan in front of it and price goes up.

The looks we get when I walk into whole foods. Wearing my free hat from the chemical company that sprayed our crops. Wondering the vegan isle with meat in my cart.

I should probably stop doing that. I seen a Trump rally on TV. The hippies can get quite violent.

I think you're right about the "V word." The price goes up...

Your story reminds me of once when I walked into a vegetarian market (not realizing until I was already inside) and I was wearing a camo hunting shirt and hat! I thought it was pretty funny... :LOL: A few of the others did not, however.

RD

I think you're right about the "V word." The price goes up...

Your story reminds me of once when I walked into a vegetarian market (not realizing until I was already inside) and I was wearing a camo hunting shirt and hat! I thought it was pretty funny... :LOL: A few of the others did not, however.

RD
Hmmm.....
780422031.gif

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom