"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 04-09-2016, 07:38 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Isn't some of this stuff a big rip-off?

I have a feeling I'm about to get slammed here... but, maybe not. And, I'm new here, so if this has been discussed before, my apologies.

Living off-grid, way back in the woods (2 miles from the closest house or road) I grow, raise, hunt and fish for, the vast majority of my food. (I do buy orange juice, HP Sauce and toilet paper!!) And, I do like the local farmer's markets here in Nova Scotia. A little pricey at times, but usually reasonable for what you get.

But - I really think that the whole "local, organic, free-range, fare trade, artisan, gluten free" thing has gotten out of hand. I would never pay an extra 30 - 100% just because a label has "organic" or "free range" on it. I think many companies are milking this whole thing and sadly, many people buy into it.

It's just so easy to add a few buzz words to the label these days and ... "hmmm... let's jack the price a bit" too. I think that many people, who truly have faith in these products would be shocked to learn just how "organic" or "free range" their food products really are.

I know a guy who makes bread and sells it at markets around Nova Scotia. His bread, (which is killer bread) used to sell for about $4.00 a loaf... since he put the words "local" and "artisan" on the packaging he started selling it for $7.00 a loaf. He was shocked to see that people bought right into it... on every outing he sells out.

It's bread, for crying out loud.

And, just the other day, I actually saw "Organic - Artisan" potato chips. POTATO CHIPS! "Oh, look Honey, let's buy these chips. They're healthy for us so now we can eat the while bag!"

It's like beer... "Craft Beer" or "Micro Brewery" ... jack the price.

Old 04-09-2016, 07:52 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rugged Dude View Post
I have a feeling I'm about to get slammed here... but, maybe not. And, I'm new here, so if this has been discussed before, my apologies.

Living off-grid, way back in the woods (2 miles from the closest house or road) I grow, raise, hunt and fish for, the vast majority of my food. (I do buy orange juice, HP Sauce and toilet paper!!) And, I do like the local farmer's markets here in Nova Scotia. A little pricey at times, but usually reasonable for what you get.

But - I really think that the whole "local, organic, free-range, fare trade, artisan, gluten free" thing has gotten out of hand. I would never pay an extra 30 - 100% just because a label has "organic" or "free range" on it. I think many companies are milking this whole thing and sadly, many people buy into it.

It's just so easy to add a few buzz words to the label these days and ... "hmmm... let's jack the price a bit" too. I think that many people, who truly have faith in these products would be shocked to learn just how "organic" or "free range" their food products really are.

I know a guy who makes bread and sells it at markets around Nova Scotia. His bread, (which is killer bread) used to sell for about $4.00 a loaf... since he put the words "local" and "artisan" on the packaging he started selling it for $7.00 a loaf. He was shocked to see that people bought right into it... on every outing he sells out.

And, just the other day, I actually saw "Organic - Artisan" potato chips. POTATO CHIPS! "Oh, look Honey, let's buy these chips. They're healthy for us so now we can eat the while bag!"

What food group does TP belong to?

In the US, advertising seems to be very liberal. I completely disregard any of it.

Old 04-09-2016, 08:12 AM   #3
Wine Guy

If people can make a buck off something, they will. More power to them, as long as it doesn't hurt me or mine. I applaud the guy who makes the "killer bread" and the fact he can sell it for $7 a loaf. I'm sure he works hard for his money, and in all fairness, prices on everything have gone up in the past few years.

That said, I do buy a lot of local, 100% grass-fed beef myself. I do this mainly because 1.) it's local (I know the guy who raises the cattle) and 2.) I just prefer the taste of grass-fed beef. You give me grass-fed and corn fed side-by-side on a plate, and I can absolutely tell the difference. Although I know that all cows make the ultimate sacrifice in order for us to have beef on the table, I'd like to think that the small mom & pop farms around here do a better job of caring for the animals than some far away meat factory.

But yeah, when you start to see big corporations pushing organic products, then it's pretty much a given they're bending the rules just as far as they can to meet any labeling requirements (where they exist).
Old 04-09-2016, 08:13 AM   #4
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
What food group does TP belong to?

In the US, advertising seems to be very liberal. I completely disregard any of it.
TP belongs the meat / protein food group. You have heard of a butt roast, haven't you?

HA!! Good luck in trying to out smart-ass me!!
Old 04-09-2016, 08:30 AM   #5
Master Chef

I agree with Steve, when the big companies become involved it is just a marketing term similar to farm fresh, gourmet, etc...

I do believe strongly in buying locally to the extent possible. In the United States we are moving in a dangerous way towards having developing nations become our food producers for meat, fish, vegetables, fruits etc... If a nation can't feed itself it can't survive and prosper.

It's time to wake up America!

I'm finished ranting, for now!
Old 04-09-2016, 08:37 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
TP belongs the meat / protein food group. You have heard of a butt roast, haven't you?

HA!! Good luck in trying to out smart-ass me!!
I have cooked many a butt roast! Butt, I reserve the the words "Butt" and "Wipe" for the most disgusting beers ever produced. Butt (Bud) and Butt Wipe (Bud Lite).
Old 04-09-2016, 08:46 AM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:

You're lumping together so many totally different things (organic, artisan, fair trade, free range, craft beer, etc)....

I'm not ripping you but you might want to read up on what these things mean.

Especially the importance of eating locally sourced foods. Michael Pollan's books are a good start.

For example, if you eat eggs .... If you know how chickens are treated to bring regular supermarket eggs to the store, then you might want to buy free range eggs instead. I do.

My partner manufactures artisanal Korean condiments and they are absolutely a thousand percent better than the mass produced competition.

Craft beer? Yum!
Old 04-09-2016, 10:56 AM   #8
Head Chef

There will always be con-artists/opportunists prepared to rip people off. Whether or not this is how it is generally is debatable.

Here, in UK, to call food organic = inspection and certification. There are labels on the products declaring this.

Artisan mostly means quality food made in a traditional method. So, if the potatoes were superior quality and hand cooked then to call it artisan is not so far fetched. I buy artisan bread (from a good bakery) and it is outstanding!
Old 04-09-2016, 11:19 AM   #9
Head Chef

Especially during the growing season, I try to buy from local farmers or grow my own. Thats the closest I an get to knowing what Im actually eating. I also have my own chickens, so I know what goes into my eggs. During the non growing months, I just get whatever I can get in the store. I don't ay the extra money for organic or all that. Honestly, I don't trust, or I guess I should say, believe them %100. Everyone is looking for the extra buck, especially big business, and there is almost always a way to get around certain categories and labels.
Old 04-09-2016, 11:23 AM   #10
Head Chef

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
Especially during the growing season, I try to buy from local farmers or grow my own. Thats the closest I an get to knowing what Im actually eating. I also have my own chickens, so I know what goes into my eggs. During the non growing months, I just get whatever I can get in the store. I don't ay the extra money for organic or all that. Honestly, I don't trust, or I guess I should say, believe them %100. Everyone is looking for the extra buck, especially big business, and there is almost always a way to get around certain categories and labels.
Don't you have laws/regulations governing what may be called organic in US? If so, then this should safeguard against most fraudsters.