"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 05-06-2006, 08:56 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to vyapti
ISO: A good use for saffron

I finally did it! I got some saffron for the time.

The first thing I made was plain risotto with parmesan and saffron. I didn't much care for it, but, then again, I'm not a huge risotto fan. Then I made paella (the best way ever to eat scallops) and liked it. Then I made arroz con pollo and loved it.

The best I can tell, saffron is has hard-to-place flavor that adds a depth to the other flavors present. But, I'm not sure how much I like it. At $15/oz, I'd like to be sure. I have a few strands left and would like to try something new.

So here's my question, do any of you have any suggestions for my last dose of saffron?

Old 05-06-2006, 09:42 PM   #2
Assistant Cook

Hmmm, any dish you'd put safflower or turmeric in, then there's Morroccan, Indian, Arabic dishes it'd go well in.

It is expensive, yeah, I usually use it as a food coloring, saffron's got that yellow-orangish thing going for it. Rice?

Old 05-06-2006, 10:59 PM   #3
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
The May issue of Cooking Light magazine has a recipe for Zucchini Ribbons with Safron Couscous that I bet you would like.

Check your PMs
Old 05-06-2006, 11:04 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Saffron Recipe

I wanted to give you the recipe from The Caspian Cafe, they have the most wonderful dishes there, but I found this recipe from:
The Sephardic Kitchen
by Rabbi Robert Sternberg
HarperCollins Publishers
Sept. 25, 1996
$30.00/hardcover
Reprinted by permission.

Braised Chicken with Tomatoes and Honey

This dish is a specialty of the Moroccan Jews. The sweetness of the honey and the cinnamon strengthens the heady aroma of the saffron, which colors the sauce bright orange rather than red like the tomatoes. I use skinless, boneless chicken breasts rather than a whole chicken in this recipe, which is nontraditional.
Preparation Time: 1-1/4 Hours
Servings: 8
  • 4 tablespoons olive oil
  • 8 skinless, boneless chicken breasts (4 chicken breasts halved, about 2 pounds)
  • 1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
  • 1/2 cup chicken stock
  • 10 large, meaty tomatoes, peeled and seeded or two 24-ounce cans good quality tomatoes
  • 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads dissolved in 1/4 cup boiling chicken stock
  • 1/3 cup thick honey (citrus honey is best)
  • 2 sticks cinnamon
  • 1 One-inch piece fresh gingerroot, peeled
  • 1/2 cup toasted slivered almonds
1. Heat 4 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat in a deep, wide saute pan that has a tight-fitting lid. Brown the chicken breasts on both sides and set aside.
2. Saute the onions in the same oil until soft and translucent (5-7 minutes). Reduce the heat and deglaze with 1/2 cup chicken stock, scraping up browned bits with a wooden spoon.
3. Add the tomatoes and cook until they begin to soften, stirring every once in a while. Add the saffron and honey. Stir well to dissolve. Add the cinnamon sticks and gingerroot.
4. Return the chicken breasts to the pot, making sure they are covered with sauce. Turn the heat down to simmer and cover the pan with foil. Then cover it with its lid. Cook 50 minutes. Test for doneness by inserting a skewer or toothpick into the meat. If juice runs yellow meat is done.
5. While the chicken is cooking, toast the almonds by cooking them in a dry cast-iron skillet over medium heat or on a cookie sheet in a pre-heated oven at 350 degrees until nicely browned.
6. Remove the cinnamon sticks and gingerroot before serving. The tomatoes will have dissolved into a nice sauce. Pass the sauce through a sieve to smooth it out before serving. If you used canned tomatoes, this has the added advantage of removing the seeds. Serve one chicken breast per person, covered with some of the sauce and sprinkled with toasted almonds.
Serving Suggestions:
Serve this dish with couscous or saffron rice pilav. Precede it with a selection of Moroccan salads and appetizers. Sweet Carrot Salad, Roasted Eggplant Salad Arabic Style, Roasted Pepper Salad with Simple Lemon Viniagrette and Buleymas filled with spinach are good choices.
Old 05-07-2006, 12:30 AM   #5
Contest Winner

IronChef posted a really nice coconut saffron sauce awhile back. I made it and it was so delicious. (remains one of my favourite sauce recipes) Coconut Saffron Sauce

It goes really nice with fish/seafood. I've had it with tilapia, calemari and shrimps and it's been really good with all of those.
Old 05-07-2006, 06:56 AM   #6
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to RDG
Tagliatelle with zucchini, shrimps and saffron.
Old 05-07-2006, 09:44 AM   #7
Master Chef

Check out Spanish recipes. I use it most often making rice for Paella.
Old 05-07-2006, 11:35 PM   #8
Senior Cook

I put a tiny pinch in my chicken soup. Be very careful, because too much saffron in anything will give a medicine flavor.
Old 05-10-2006, 05:17 AM   #9
Senior Cook

Yummy!

I just made the chicken recipe I mentioned above and it turned out great. I served it with mashed potatoes, veggies, and rolls. My family and I ate it so fast there wasn't even time to take a picture. So I definatly would have to say use this recipe.Happy Eating!
Old 05-10-2006, 10:49 AM   #10
Assistant Cook

I just did this recipe for Cardamom and Saffron Parfait (or ice cream) and it's pretty nice. The chef at a place where my son works weekends gave me the recipe which is here: http://www.cookingdownunder.com/articles/2006/227.htm

Cheers