ISO a quick Christmas Snack recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If my husband attempted something like that (he has) and burned the whole batch (he hasn't) I wouldn't even care. How sweet!

If my husband attempted something like that (he has) and burned the whole batch (he hasn't) I wouldn't even care. How sweet!

so apparently I have some competition... a husband who has tried, and has not burned the batch.

well I met a lot of older ladies at the store today, asking where things were... so now here I am, back in the kitchen... this should be real fun.

That doesn't mean he hasn't burned other things!
Type if you need help, I'm just watching my 3rd episode of SpongeBob for the day.
Kids are great aren't they? :)

is it ok that it's boiling? I figure thats ok.....but wanted to make sure...

this is weird... it's getting thicker as it gets hotter, I wouldn't have assumed that.. also it's the consistency of liquid bread or something... there are holes and air pockets in it, kind of strange... neat. only 5 more degrees to go.

this is pretty neat, it's in the pan, cooling. This is gonna be some thick caramel.

Would it be ok to sprinkle some extra nuts on the top of it?

I don't see why not, they'd just have more nuts!
I like the play by play, never cooked online before! Something new every day I suppose.
I hope they work, It's been a few years but I used to work in a candy store and make candy all the time. Now I make bagels... I hope I'm not too rusty!

how long does it take for the caramel to cool do you think? Do i need to put it in the fridge?

You certainly won't hurt it putting it in there. Have you stuck a knife or anything in it to see how well set it is yet?

If you think it's not going to set up you can boil it some more, a little hotter.

allllrighty.... it seems like it will work out very well. the caramel is now in the refrigerator. It's still really warm so I will bet that is why it is not set up yet. The caramel that was on the thermometer (candy thermometer) tasted really really good, and it had cooled down and had set up already. The consistency was certainly not liquidy; the consistency was more the consistency of syrupy peanut butter. It would keep its form but when I mashed it between my fingers I could mold it. However, not as solid as caramel cubes you buy from the store.

Anywa anyway.

Thanks everyone for the help, and suziquzie, thanks for walking me through all of this. It was a huge help!

-Keith

No they are pretty chewy caramels.
Let me know how she likes them ok?
Glad I could be some help. Now I better make some for my husband!!!!

she loves the flavor, but they're chewier than she would prefer. She's planning on using part of it (it made a lot) to put on some brownies.

To get it to stand up firmer, do I need to leave it boiling for a little longer, at a little hotter temperature? It seemed like between 240-245 degrees it was getting significantly thicker, somehow.... if I was to leave it on til about 250, how would that affect the results?

Caramel is something you have to play with to get right. I'd try it again adding 2 degrees, if it's still too soft, go 2 more next time. It depends on climate / weather alot also. But once you get it right, write it down and they'll be great every time!
Sorry they didn't work a little better.

Back
Top Bottom