"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-24-2008, 09:55 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

ISO a 'Universal Stir Fry' recipe

Ladies and Gentleman,

I found this wonderful page last year that had a universal curry recipe. It listed all the things you absolutely needed and then listed optional things to experiment with. I found it a joy to cook this way rather than slavishly following the recipe. So, now I want to move on to stir fry. Does anyone have a kind of universal stir fry recipe they use and then what are some things you can add to spice it up for variation?

Thanks!!

Old 03-24-2008, 11:49 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Here ya go: W4E: Basic Vegetable Stir Fry Recipe (Chinese stir-fried vegetables) | China

For my stir-fry, I use 1 lb. of meat (usually chicken breast or boneless pork loin) and 2-3 cups of mixed veggies. The veggies can be whatever you like - carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, bok choy, bell peppers, celery, onion, mushrooms, etc.

HTH.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:57 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

Thanks Got Garlic!
That's nice. I also found another variation which follows pretty much the recipe you sent but recommends squeezing some fresh orange juice and mixing it with the soy and sesame seed oil. I'm looking forward to giving it a shot with the info you sent me.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:45 PM   #4
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWestknives View Post
Ladies and Gentleman,

I found this wonderful page last year that had a universal curry recipe. It listed all the things you absolutely needed and then listed optional things to experiment with. I found it a joy to cook this way rather than slavishly following the recipe. So, now I want to move on to stir fry. Does anyone have a kind of universal stir fry recipe they use and then what are some things you can add to spice it up for variation?

Thanks!!
One of the things I like about stir-frying is that you can pretty much "wing it" & not follow a recipe. First, I put my mise en place - chop up all the veggies, slice up the beef or chicken, or clean & devein the shrimp. Then add oil to the pan till it's hot enough to start stir-frying. First, cook the heavier veggies (broc, asparagus, onions, carrots, peppers, garlic etc etc), then add in the meat (shrimp/chicken/beef), then add the softer veggies like mushrooms toward the end. You can use a quick stir-fry sauce, or teriyaki, or add in sesame oil or oyster sauce. When everything is almost done/cooked, add in a slurry of cornstarch & water to make a gravy. Add-ins can be ginger (fresh or powdered), and scallions/green onions. Cashews or walnuts are another addition to add some flavor and crunch. Toward the end of cooking time, add in some pineapple chunks. Beef & tomatoes is another easy main dish idea - there'a always beef n broc n onions.
Old 03-24-2008, 01:02 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

I used to have a generally stir fry recipe. But I found that after some time all my stir fries were starting to taste the same. Now I look for recipes which use specific ingredients.
When I'm in a hurry, I revert back to my old recipe.
One of my favorite ingredients is fermented beans. It stays for ever in the fridge and gives intense flavor to any stir fry.
Old 03-24-2008, 01:08 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

Yes, that's the problem I've been having with mine, it's nice, but it tends to taste the same...
About the 'oyster sauce' and 'teriyaki'. Are those added to a basic stirfry sauce of garlic, ginger, soy, sesame seed oil, rice vinegar, and red pepper? Can you just add a little oyster sauce or teriyaki to that? Is that the idea?

Also, some recipes have you throw in the garlic and ginger at the beginning with onions... is this right? Isn't this killing the garlic? Is it better to throw garlic and ginger in after the vegetables have softened up a little, so the garlic doesn't burn?
Old 03-24-2008, 01:16 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

If you are interested in getting some good recipes and techniques for stir fry, I think you would be interested in the following links.
http://www.tigersandstrawberries.com...r-wok-cookery/
http://www.tigersandstrawberries.com...en-from-a-wok/
http://www.tigersandstrawberries.com...fu-from-a-wok/

She has some pretty good recipes too. I've tried quite a few..and liked all of them.

About oyster sauce - my foolproof recipe using that is for a eggplant stir fry. Heat some oil, add garlic followed by eggplant cubes, when it is half done add oyster sauce, with some chilli flakes and tons of thai basil. It quick and delicious.
DH doesn't like things too sweet, so we don't buy teriyaki sauce.
Old 03-24-2008, 01:17 PM   #8
Cook

I would throw in the garlic near the end because it tends to burn although since strir fry is such a short process, you may not need to worry about that. I've been on a Moroccan spice binge lately and use it in stews, when I braise chicken or pork or even beef, and even when baking so it may work well with your chicken stir fry as well. Just subsititute, and you can figure out your own amounts to use LOL, but use less cinnamon than anything else and maybe cayenne--cinammon, cayenne, ground coriander and cumin plus galric. I tend to use more cayenne than is required because I like it hot!
Old 03-24-2008, 01:17 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Oyster sauce can be added to the other ingredients; teriyaki is usually used by itself. Garlic and ginger are added in the beginning in order to flavor the oil that the rest of the ingredients will be cooked in. Just stir them around for 20 seconds or so and then start stir-frying the veggies. Tossing them around at that point will prevent them from burning. HTH.
Old 03-24-2008, 01:32 PM   #10
Head Chef

A really good basic stir fry sauce is equal parts of
Soy Sauce
Oyster Sauce
Sherry Wine
Sesame Oil

Add some red pepper flakes or Srirachi sauce for heat.
Add some citrus for a change up.
Subtract the Soy, and add 1/2 part Fish Sauce and 1 tsp Sugar, with
a good squeeze of lime juice for a new flavor.

I like to add my sliced garlic WITH the veggies, so it cooks less and gives garlic BAMS!! when you eat.