ISO a 'Universal Stir Fry' recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EastWestknives

Assistant Cook
Ladies and Gentleman,

I found this wonderful page last year that had a universal curry recipe. It listed all the things you absolutely needed and then listed optional things to experiment with. I found it a joy to cook this way rather than slavishly following the recipe. So, now I want to move on to stir fry. Does anyone have a kind of universal stir fry recipe they use and then what are some things you can add to spice it up for variation?

Thanks!!

Thanks Got Garlic!
That's nice. I also found another variation which follows pretty much the recipe you sent but recommends squeezing some fresh orange juice and mixing it with the soy and sesame seed oil. I'm looking forward to giving it a shot with the info you sent me.

Ladies and Gentleman,

I found this wonderful page last year that had a universal curry recipe. It listed all the things you absolutely needed and then listed optional things to experiment with. I found it a joy to cook this way rather than slavishly following the recipe. So, now I want to move on to stir fry. Does anyone have a kind of universal stir fry recipe they use and then what are some things you can add to spice it up for variation?

Thanks!!

One of the things I like about stir-frying is that you can pretty much "wing it" & not follow a recipe. First, I put my mise en place - chop up all the veggies, slice up the beef or chicken, or clean & devein the shrimp. Then add oil to the pan till it's hot enough to start stir-frying. First, cook the heavier veggies (broc, asparagus, onions, carrots, peppers, garlic etc etc), then add in the meat (shrimp/chicken/beef), then add the softer veggies like mushrooms toward the end. You can use a quick stir-fry sauce, or teriyaki, or add in sesame oil or oyster sauce. When everything is almost done/cooked, add in a slurry of cornstarch & water to make a gravy. Add-ins can be ginger (fresh or powdered), and scallions/green onions. Cashews or walnuts are another addition to add some flavor and crunch. Toward the end of cooking time, add in some pineapple chunks. Beef & tomatoes is another easy main dish idea - there'a always beef n broc n onions.

Last edited:
I used to have a generally stir fry recipe. But I found that after some time all my stir fries were starting to taste the same. Now I look for recipes which use specific ingredients.
When I'm in a hurry, I revert back to my old recipe.
One of my favorite ingredients is fermented beans. It stays for ever in the fridge and gives intense flavor to any stir fry.

Yes, that's the problem I've been having with mine, it's nice, but it tends to taste the same...
About the 'oyster sauce' and 'teriyaki'. Are those added to a basic stirfry sauce of garlic, ginger, soy, sesame seed oil, rice vinegar, and red pepper? Can you just add a little oyster sauce or teriyaki to that? Is that the idea?

Also, some recipes have you throw in the garlic and ginger at the beginning with onions... is this right? Isn't this killing the garlic? Is it better to throw garlic and ginger in after the vegetables have softened up a little, so the garlic doesn't burn?

If you are interested in getting some good recipes and techniques for stir fry, I think you would be interested in the following links.
http://www.tigersandstrawberries.com/2006/01/16/stir-fry-technique-ten-steps-to-better-wok-cookery/
http://www.tigersandstrawberries.co...ue-ii-ten-steps-to-better-chicken-from-a-wok/
http://www.tigersandstrawberries.co...ique-iii-ten-steps-to-better-tofu-from-a-wok/

She has some pretty good recipes too. I've tried quite a few..and liked all of them.

About oyster sauce - my foolproof recipe using that is for a eggplant stir fry. Heat some oil, add garlic followed by eggplant cubes, when it is half done add oyster sauce, with some chilli flakes and tons of thai basil. It quick and delicious.
DH doesn't like things too sweet, so we don't buy teriyaki sauce.

I would throw in the garlic near the end because it tends to burn although since strir fry is such a short process, you may not need to worry about that. I've been on a Moroccan spice binge lately and use it in stews, when I braise chicken or pork or even beef, and even when baking so it may work well with your chicken stir fry as well. Just subsititute, and you can figure out your own amounts to use LOL, but use less cinnamon than anything else and maybe cayenne--cinammon, cayenne, ground coriander and cumin plus galric. I tend to use more cayenne than is required because I like it hot!

Oyster sauce can be added to the other ingredients; teriyaki is usually used by itself. Garlic and ginger are added in the beginning in order to flavor the oil that the rest of the ingredients will be cooked in. Just stir them around for 20 seconds or so and then start stir-frying the veggies. Tossing them around at that point will prevent them from burning. HTH.

A really good basic stir fry sauce is equal parts of
Soy Sauce
Oyster Sauce
Sherry Wine
Sesame Oil

Add some red pepper flakes or Srirachi sauce for heat.
Add some citrus for a change up.
Subtract the Soy, and add 1/2 part Fish Sauce and 1 tsp Sugar, with
a good squeeze of lime juice for a new flavor.

I like to add my sliced garlic WITH the veggies, so it cooks less and gives garlic BAMS!! when you eat.

Actually, sesame oil should be drizzled over the finished dish. It has a low smoke point, so it burns easily at high heat. I use peanut oil for stir-frying. Many years ago, I used to use corn oil for practically everything (I grew up in the Midwest ;)). Once I discovered other oils, I started using the oil that's common for a given cuisine, and my food tasted much more authentic. Olive oil for Mediterranean, peanut oil for Asian, corn oil for Mexican, TexMex, etc.

You just use Sake like you would Rice Vinegar?

Yes. If you use the same flavoring, you will get the same results. Sesame oil has a very distinct flavor that I only use once in a while. Same with Soy and Terriyaki. Keep those flavors to a minimum so you don't overpower the fresh veggies.

Last edited:
Gotgarlic... my suggestion wasn't for cooking, it was for the sauce you would use
after you have cooked your veggies.
Mix the ingredients, add, mix well, lower heat for a bit.
Works for me, YMMV. :-D

Gotgarlic... my suggestion wasn't for cooking, it was for the sauce you would use
after you have cooked your veggies.
Mix the ingredients, add, mix well, lower heat for a bit.
Works for me, YMMV. :-D

Ah - sorry for misunderstanding you
img_572008_0_69ad9f959567e931f4d94cacbaaaae12.gif

I'm from the Martin Yan stir-fry school, which says "Everything relies on the sauce." Once the sauce has been established, you can add any type of meat, seafood, or tofu to complete the meal.

Here's two examples, Kung Pao and Mongolian:

KUNG PAO BEEF, PORK, CHICKEN, SHRIMP, FISH OR TOFU (a.k.a. meat!)​

1 1/2 pounds beef , pork, or chicken strips, shrimp, tofu, or fish pieces
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 tablespoons sesame oil
1 tablespoon rice wine or sherry
1 egg, beaten
1/2 teaspoon salt

2 Tbs peanut oil
4 dried red chiles, cracked
1 Tbs garlic, minced
1/2 Tbs grated ginger
1 tsp pepper
2 scallions, chopped
1 red bell pepper, cut in strips
2 Tbs soy sauce
3 Tbs rice wine or sherry
2 Tbs balsamic vinegar
1 tsp sugar
1 cup chicken broth
1 Tbs cornstarch, dissolved in 4 Tbs water
1/3 cup unsalted, dry roasted peanuts

Combine the soy sauce, sesame oil, rice wine/sherry, egg and salt in a glass bowl. Add the meat and stir to coat. Marinate for 1 hour, covered, in the refrigerator.

Combine the soy sauce, rice wine, balsamic vinegar, sugar and chicken broth.

Place peanut oil in a wok, and swirl to coat sides, then place over high heat. Add the chilies and cook until they begin to darken. Add the garlic, ginger and pepper and continue to cook to infuse the oil. Add the scallions and bell pepper. Remove the meat from the marinade, and add it to the wok. Stir-fry the meat for 3 minutes. Add the soy sauce, rice wine, balsamic vinegar, sugar and chicken broth mixture to wok and heat to boiling while constantly stirring, then add the cornstarch slurry to thicken the sauce. Add the peanuts and stir to blend.

MONGOLIAN STIR-FRY
Ingredients:

1 pound Flank steak or lean pork, sliced thin; chicken, turkey or tofu, cubed; or shrimp, shelled, cleaned, and deveined
peanut oil for frying
1 small onion or shallot, sliced thin
4 oz snow peas
4 oz Green onion, green part only

4 oz button mushrooms
2 cloves finely minced garlic

Coating:

1 Egg white
1/2 tsp Salt
1 tsp Cornstarch

Sauce:

1 tsp Cornstarch
1 tsp Turbinado Sugar
1 tsp Chinese chili sauce

2 Tbs dry Sherry, white wine, or rice wine
2 Tbs Hoisin sauce
2 Tbs soy sauce
1/4 cup beef, chicken, shrimp, or vegetable stock

Combine sauce ingredients and set aside. Combine egg white, salt and cornstarch, add meat, shrimp or tofu, and mix well to coat. Heat 2 Tbs oil in wok over high heat, then stir fry meat, shrimp or tofu until just cooked through and remove from wok. Add additional Tbs peanut oil to wok and stir fry onion or shallot, and snow peas, and for 1 minute. Add green onion, mushrooms and garlic and continue stir-frying until mushrooms are tender. Add sauce to vegetables and heat until sauce has thickened. Add meat, shrimp or tofu and stir until heated through.

vegetray2.jpg
vegetray2.jpg
I use salt, blk pepper, and finely ground red pepper flakes with my stir fry. I don't use any sauce but it still turns out very tasty.

Attachments

• vegetray2.jpg
    vegetray2.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 194
Ladies and Gentleman,

Thanks!!

Stir Fry is a cooking method/technique - it is not a recipe. There are recipes that are cooked by stir fry - but, I would hate to burden you with recipes since you have a self-admitted adversion to following instructions. Instead - here are the basics for a proper stir fry:

1. Prep your ingredients before you begin cooking - in French this would be called mis en place. Once you start cooking - it goes quickly and you don't have time to slice-n-dice ....

2. Heat your pan/wok

3, Add your oil

4. Cook - adding the ingredients in the order of cooking time (add those that need longer cooking time first .. etc.)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom