ISO additions to cream cheese or quark

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taxlady

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
I've made another batch of quark. I'm getting tired of making it taste like Boursin (chives, parsley, garlic, salt). I'm almost out of olives, so my other standby: olives and chopped walnuts, is out for the moment.

What do you like adding to cream cheese or quark?

I love walnuts and cream cheese. Haven't made quark, though I have wanted to try. Green onions, imitation crab and ranch seasoning make a great crab spread. (almost forgot the sour cream.)

Had one with coconut and pineapple chunks, it was tasty but a bit weird. IMO, nothing tops smoked salmon. MMMMMMM! That reminds me, I'd better dig that slab out of the freezer for the smoker!

spiced pepper jelly, it is to die for. can only find it on line, not in my stores here.,

I get that from my mummy-in-law. She makes it herself. It is wonderful with cream cheese or quark.

I'm really hoping for more ideas for savoury things to mix into the quark. I often don't want something sweet.

I make a really mild flavored chevre and like to season it with:

horseradish and grated cheddar cheese and a bit of kosher salt and sugar

sprimp and sour cream

chopped walnuts and crushed pineapple

and this is the favorite for parties:

1 lb. cheese
1/4 t. garlic powder
1 T. dried minced onion
1 t. chili powder
1 t. kosher salt
1 6 oz. can tomato paste
1/4 t. hot pepper, (or use a hot chili powder)

Thank you everyone for the great suggestions. Keep 'em coming.

Is there a way for me to link to this in my user CP, so I can find later?

Holiday Ham Dip

1 can of deviled Ham (or 3.5 oz Ham leftovers pureed in Quisinart)
1/2 Cup canned Pineapple
2T Gulden's Spicy Brown Mustard
1 teasp. ground clove
8 oz Quark or Cream Cheese

Nice as a cracker spread or for Ruffled Potato Chips.

Can you share how you make Quark?

Fresh or dried dill and chopped (firm) tomato or cucumber

Sundried tomato and basil or oregano

rosemary

your favorite salsa (homemade or jarred)

mince some leftover cooked chicken and add a few drops of liquid smoke flavoring (or smoke the chicken), add with minced sauteed mushrooms and onion, and finely chopped walnuts. You could substitute bacon for the smoke-flavored chicken, but it gets a bit salty. great on crackers, bagels, in omelets, or to stuff mushroom caps.

You could substitute bacon for the smoke-flavored chicken, but it gets a bit salty.

That makes it perfect with quark, because it doesn't have an salt. Many of the savoury flavours need salt added to taste right.

I guess that also makes quark a good idea for someone on a low sodium diet.

Can you share how you make Quark?

I'm sorry it took so long to get back to you on this.

I take a litre of milk and add two tablespoons of sour cream or cultured buttermilk, or sour milk from previous batch. I let it sit at room temperature for a day or three - the culture grows quicker in summer. When it is thick it is sour milk. I cover the sour milk, could be a dish towel or a plate, and then put it in the oven at around 100-150 degrees F. It usually takes about two to three hours for the curd to separate from the whey. The curd floats on top of the greenish whey. Then I line a colander with a clean piece of fabric and filter the whey out. I let it sit and drip in the fridge for 12 to 24 hours. The curds are the quark. Be sure the colander is non-reactive. A rusty old sieve has been known give you grey quark. I usually get about 300 grams of quark from a litre of milk.

If the quark is too dry, add some milk or cream.

Last edited:
I nuke a bar of Philadelphia cream cheese for about 40 seconds to soften it up. Before serving it's topped off with 1/4 inch of horseradish before serving with crackers.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom