"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 04-22-2008, 06:10 PM   #11
Head Chef

A popular food here in Mexico that did originate in Spain is the Spanish tortilla, which is (surprise) not a Mexican tortilla, but a really yummy egg and potato dish. We just had some for lunch - they are available here in the dairy case, vacuum-packed, ready to heat in a skillet. Yum. Good with some salsa, sour cream and fresh fruit on the side. Here is how to make your own - very easy and worth the time.

A Recipe for Spanish Tortilla by Santiago G

Old 04-22-2008, 06:54 PM   #12
Head Chef

I lived in Andalusia for about 5 years in the early/mid '80s. I did not know what to expect from the cuisine, either. When I got stationed there (NCS Rota) I thought, "great! I love tacos!" I was quite happily wrong about the food. I grew to really love the fresh seafood, trying many things for the first time in my life (fresh octopus, bocorones, etc) and loving them. I also quite liked the tapas culture, the gazpacho, the sangria, the fresh food markets... ahhhh, Spain. How I miss thee.

Having traveled throughout Spain and Europe, one of my all time favorite places was Sevilla. That is where I would recommend, should you have that option.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:10 PM   #13
Head Chef

Oh yes, Sevilla! Seemed to me that it had more unique character - architecture, climate, friendly people. Wonderful place. And all the people that we passed in the streets smelled good. Really! They kinda smelled like that wonderful Myrurgia soap that is made in Spain...
Old 04-23-2008, 03:54 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Sevilla was the first place we visited on our ten day trip to Spain, and my favorite! Until last year when we went to Ibiza & Barcelona...now the island is where I plan on retiring! Barcelona was pretty amazing and we would love to go back. Even a vegetarian like me can love the food anywhere in Spain really, I could live on the olives, cheese and sangria alone!!

The food and people of Sevilla were by far the yummiest and friendliest!
Old 04-23-2008, 09:16 AM   #15
Senior Cook

Ooh, I love Sevilla, too. I live in Barcelona and love being close to the sea... but I'm in love with Sevilla. It's SO beautiful, and such a friendly city. There's some wonderful history there, beautiful parks and gardens, wonderful food... and the people are really really nice-- they're so much nicer in the south than in other parts of the country.

Other than Barcelona and Madrid, Sevilla is the first city I recommend to people (actually, that's not true... I recommend it before Madrid!) When people imagine Spain as it appears in movies and history, what they imagine is Sevilla. I could live there!
Old 04-23-2008, 10:05 AM   #16
Cook

Oh god Paella. Im a huge fan, especially in the smaller Spanish cities.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:11 AM   #17
Cook

Karenlyn, since you are in Barcelona, Happy St. Jordi's day!!
Old 04-24-2008, 08:00 AM   #18
Senior Cook

How funny! :) Thanks so much, Nat. I love St. Jordi's... my hubby got me a beautiful red rose and we had a romantic dinner. We already have more books than we know what to do with, so I got him a t-shirt instead of a book (the traditional gift). After all, who needs to follow the rules?
Old 04-24-2008, 10:23 AM   #19
Sous Chef

I have been to Barcelona several times, and have enjoyed their seafood by the sea. Their seafood platters are great. I am always am for the idea that when by the sea eat food from the sea. It's true the food is not spicy, but it is tasty in it's own way. Lovely restaurants on Porto Olimpico and The Marina. I still dream of the crab salad.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:53 AM   #20
Senior Cook

While it's true that there are some nice restaurants by Port Olympic, it's also true that almost all of them are terribly overpriced-- so choose carefully! There are some better seafood places in Barceloneta and in the rest of the city. Port Olympic is mostly for tourists. Actually, way too many restaurants in Barcelona are mostly for tourists, so you always have to choose carefully. :)