"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-15-2011, 10:55 AM   #11
Head Chef

If you want to bake without wheat try googling gluten free recipes. At allrecipes.com there is an explaination of how to use alternative flours. I make cake mix cookies all of the time. They are generally nice soft cookies. You can use any cake mix. Hope they turn out well.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:06 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
Use them to make cookies. Here is a recipe I used. They taste great. They don't rise much so I would think old cake mixes would do okay. I've used yellow and chocolate mixes so I would think any flavor cake mix would work.
Gooey Butter Cookies Recipe - Allrecipes.com
I'm not sure it was exactly the same recipe (recipe is at home), but I tried this at Christmas w/ chocolate cake mix and it was AWESOME!

Old 02-15-2011, 01:04 PM   #13
Executive Chef

This is Craig's wife, Karen. He's not home to post but I was just flipping thru and saw this post/question. Be careful about using old baking mixes. I read something once that some kind of toxic mold can grow in them after they get past their expiration date. I vaguely remember the article or post saying it tasted, smelled and/or looked not quite right but the woman went ahead and used it and made her son really sick - as in needing to go to the hospital sick.

Karen
Old 02-15-2011, 11:35 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
This is Craig's wife, Karen. He's not home to post but I was just flipping thru and saw this post/question. Be careful about using old baking mixes. I read something once that some kind of toxic mold can grow in them after they get past their expiration date. I vaguely remember the article or post saying it tasted, smelled and/or looked not quite right but the woman went ahead and used it and made her son really sick - as in needing to go to the hospital sick.

Karen
You know I read something too...But the one I read was about pancake mix. It sounded pretty bad, but I didn't pay too much attention because we usually use up these things pretty quickly. Maybe we need to google it and see what is what.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:36 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Karen again. Actually I did Google it after I posted. It was in a Dear Abby column about the pancake mix but there was also another incident reported with brownie mix and the person died. Both had a food and/or mold allergy history. I'd still be careful though, you don't always know what you are allergic to until after you've had the reaction and, for a couple dollars wasted on an old mix, getting sick or making somebody else sick just isn't worth it.

Karen

Tags
cake