ISO alternatives to chervil and how to make garlic oil?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nicklord1

Senior Cook
I am making chicken chassauer and the recipe says chevril but i dont have chevril is there an alternative herb i can use.

Also how can i make garlic oil . Can i simply add mushed up garlic too olive oil

i had some chervil in my garden last summer. not sure how it got there. i think from a mesculun seed mix.

if i remember correctly, it has a delicately sweet and aromatic flavor, kind of like anise. but it's more herb-y.

i did a search, and people recommend adding some anise with some parsley. that sounds about right.

sounds good. if your going to cook it a long time, and/or in liquid, i'd add a little more anise seed. try to add it to the dish towards the end if possible.
i've never had chicken chassauer, so i don't know how it's used.

for the garlic oil, you could do a coupla things, depending on the type of garlic flavor you're looking for. you could thinly slice the garlic and toast in the oil over medium heat. or you could mince raw garlic, then sprinkle some salt into it and mash by chopping and dragging the side of the knife over it until it's mushy. mix into oil

if the garlic is strong, i'd do the first method or roast it in some foil first, then blend into oil.

thanks i am cooking a soup that needs garlic oil on jan 1st and chicken chassuer on saturday. I will tell you how it goes.

thanks andy, that'll come in handy.

hey, you're handy andy! ;)

fresh fronds from a fennel bulb might be better than seed, from reding that reference. and of course fresh parsley.

Thank you how should one one prepare garlic oil should one cook the garlic in oil .

Just put good quality oil in a small bottle and fill with whole, peeled, raw garlic cloves. Leave to steep for a few days before use and you should have garlic-infused oil.

if you want roasted garlic oil, you can put whole cloves of garlic in olive oil, make sure the garlic is covered. put in a 300F oven for about 30 minutes, keep checking the garlic should be golden brown,

remove from oven and a pinch of salt, and allow to cool. Strain out garlic and save for mashed potatoes, Your oil is now garlic oil.

If you want you can puree the oil with the garlic, It won't have the nice appearance of clear oil anymore, but if its just for flavor that won't matter. If you want to spruce up the look of it, you can always add fresh herbs and make a pistou.

If you want a raw garlic oil, just throw some olive oil in a blender, and puree up some garlic, let sit overnight and strain the next day.

Use within three days, as garlic can cause botulism under the conditions that oil provides.

Thank you how should one one prepare garlic oil should one cook the garlic in oil .

Make garlic oil only a few days ahead of time and keep it in the refrigerator. It's a botulism hazard.

Make sure you use it or throw it away within 10 days and always keep it cold.

I am making chicken chassauer and the recipe says chevril but i dont have chevril is there an alternative herb i can use.

Also how can i make garlic oil . Can i simply add mushed up garlic too olive oil

We have the same problem with a recipe for a roast chicken that has a mixture of fresh herbs, garlic, and olive oil that is placed under the skin. I looked everywhere and couldn't find fresh or dried chervil. I checked my cookbooks and found the same or similar substitutions posted by Andy and ended up using some dried tarragon, although fresh would be good as well.

Back
Top Bottom