"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 05-08-2010, 06:49 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

ISO anniversary menu ideas

Ok so my 5 yr anniversary is coming up and I would like to cook something special for my Wife. I asked her to pick out the protein that she would like and she said steak.

What I have in mind is to do a surf and turf with ribeye and Gulf Shrimp. I am looking to get some ideas that will just put that WOW factor to it. Being stationed in Italy I am a little limited on ingredients that I can use, but I am open to ideas.

Thanks
Jeremy

Old 05-08-2010, 07:50 PM   #2
Mr. Greenjeans

GB!!!! Please describe the amazing way you baby your steak into greatness.

Old 05-08-2010, 08:06 PM   #3
Master Chef

Surely you don't mean Gulf Shrimp from the USA, Jeremy!! Sigh. You get American news, right?
What a terrible disaster!!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 08:39 PM   #4
Master Chef

Jeremy doesn't need U.S. shrimp - Italy (& all coastal Europe for that matter) has fabulous quality shrimp/prawns of all sizes.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:44 PM   #5
Master Chef

I know that, Breezy, but he said "Gulf Shrimp" which brought to mind our tragedy.

Old 05-08-2010, 08:49 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Surely you don't mean Gulf Shrimp from the USA, Jeremy!! Sigh. You get American news, right?
What a terrible disaster!!
Kayelle yes I do mean gulf shrimp, but since I am in Italy we the ones we get here have been flash frozen and I think that I have had them in the freeze for about a month. I think that I might go out to the market though and try to get some fresh ones.

Yes I know all about the tragedy and I have really taken it to heart as I am fish lover, both eating and catching. That might sound cold but I also care about the people that lost thier lives on that rig as well.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:05 PM   #7
Master Chef

So true Jeremy, not to mention all the fishermen who's livelihood is wiped out for how many years to come? Treasure those Gulf shrimp. I saw on our California news that seafood from the Gulf would be at a premium price until the frozen supply runs out.
Sorry we got off topic for you.......I'm thinking about your wonderful dinner. Twice baked potatoes are always nice, and not messy for your lovely main course. I know your bride of five years will be blown away by your thoughtfulness. Congrats!! She's a lucky girl.

Old 05-08-2010, 09:12 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

Thanks for the idea. I never thought about that, I should have seeing as how my wife loves them.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:36 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

Ok so here is what I think that I am going to do....let me know what ya'll think:

Ribeye grilled with salt, pepper, and garlic powder
Shrimp sauteed with crushed garlic, oregano, and fresh basil
Twice baked Potatoes
Asparagus with Olive Oil and Lemon Pepper also on the grill

Just lacking a desert, I am pretty much an idiot when it comes to baking so I am thinking something cold but not sure what to do.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:02 PM   #10
Master Chef

Your menu sound fabulous, Jeremy.

Here's a link to a really memorable desert I saved recently, and will try soon.
Yummy Coco-Nutty Pavlova Log Recipe : Sunny Anderson : Food Network

If you don't want to get that involved, a lovely strawberry shortcake would be perfect! Save the extra whip cream for later. heh heh. whoo hoo.