ISO Basil recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

comissaryqueen

Senior Cook
I have an overabudance of Basil this year and would like some new recipes. I've done the usual Pesto, Basil & Cream cheese, Basil butter. Can anyone help?

My favorite is little mozzarella pearls (the wet kind) with tiny grape tomatoes cut in half and basil leaves (which have been shredded) marinated in Kraft Zesty Italian Dressing.

I make sauteed shrimp, sundried tomatoes, white onions, scallions, garlic, and torn fresh basil, and put that over spaghetti, then add some grape tomatoes, and a bit of canolla oil and parmesan on it. Very easy , and good.

Basil is one of my very favourite herbs! I love to add it to a pan of roast potatoes before they go in the oven (torn into smaller pieces). It's an absolute must when making homemade Margarita pizza. I like basil in risotto, potato salads, in stir-fries (I don't keep my stir-fries to strictly Asian ingredients or recipes), in homemade salad dressings, with fish...the possibilities are only limited to how much basil you have on hand :mrgreen:

For a neat dessert with basill try this one:

[font=verdana, geneva, helvetica]Cantaloupe Sorbet[/font]

Ingredients

1 small ripe cantaloupe or muskmelon
1/4 cup orange juice
3/4 cup superfine sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt

Instructions

Remove the rind and seeds from the melon. Cut the flesh into 1/2-inch cubes. You should have about 2 heaping cups of fruit. Place the cut-up melon in a blender with the orange juice, sugar and salt. Blend until the melon is pureed and the sugar has dissolved, about 30 seconds. Cover and refrigerate until cold.

Stir the chilled mixture, then freeze in one or two batches in your ice cream machine according to the manufacturer¹s instructions. When finished, the sorbet will be soft but ready to eat. For firmer sorbet, transfer to a freezer-safe container and freeze at least 2 hours.

Yield: about 3 cups; 6 servings.

Cantaloupe Basil Sorbet

Add 4 large fresh basil leaves to the blender along with the fruit. Proceed with the recipe as directed.

Cantaloupe Strawberry Sorbet

Add 1 cup sliced strawberries and 2 tablespoons honey to the blender along with the cantaloupe. If necessary, puree fruit in two or three batches. Proceed with the recipe as directed.

Per serving: 183 calories; 0.3 g fat (0 g saturated fat; 1 percent calories from fat); 46.7 g carbohydrates; 0 mg cholesterol; 212 mg sodium; 1.7 g protein; 2.4 g fiber.
~Enjoy~

This is for anyone who has made basil butter, as mentioned in the post by comissaryqueen. Could anyone post the recipe for doing this as our basil is soon to be finishing off and I would love to have some on hand for during the Winter months? If I could freeze it in some butter, that would be great, but I'm not sure of the proportions for doing this. We also had a good harvest of garlic and, perhaps, I could add this, along with the basil, for a flavored butter. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Herb Butter

For every 125g (4oz) butter, mix in 2 heaped tablespoons finely chopped herbs. Roll into a log shape, wrap in plastic wrap and store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks, or freeze. Use herb butters on cooked meats, on muffins, scones or in sandwiches. Any herbs (usually the leaves but sometimes the flowers or pulverised seeds) can be used in almost any combination, limited only by your imagination and personal taste.

Try the following combinations to make Herb Butter:

Mint and dill

Bergamot and lovage

Lemon verbena and grated orange peel

Costmary and tansy

Basil, oregano, and thyme

Marjoram and garlic

Garlic, sesame seed, and chives

Dill, mustard seed, parsley, and a touch of lemon rind for fish and potatoes.

Thyme, garlic, chives, oregano, and parsley for tomatoes, zucchini, eggplant, or beef.

Sage, parsley, and chives for chicken, veal, rice, and pasta.

Tarragon fennel, lemon rind, and parsley for fish, chicken, or eggs.

Chives, mint, and chervil for fish, tomatoes, carrots, or peas.

Basil and garlic for lamb, chicken, or fish.

Salad burnet, garlic chives, and parsley for potatoes, tomatoes, veal, or salmon.

Savory, marjoram, and parsley for beans, veal, beef, corn.

Caraway seed and parsley for cabbage, carrots, potatoes, and bread.

Aniseed, grated ginger, and orange rind for pork, chicken, or carrots.

Coriander, cumin, parsley, and dried red or fresh jalapeno pepper on rice, chicken, pork, potatoes, peas, or corn.

Basil, tomato paste, and oregano for fish, chicken, pasta and rice.

Rosemary, chives, parsley, and garlic for potatoes, rice, beef, veal, chicken.

Tarragon, chives, chervil, and white wine for fish, chicken, or eggs.

Basil, thyme, and parsley for bread, vegetables, tuna, salmon, and prawns.

Anise hyssop, parsley, and chives for fish, chicken, veal.

Mint, garlic, and parsley for lamb, mussels, swordfish, chicken, peas, carrots, green beans, or eggs.

Rosemary, savory, thyme, oregano, marjoram, lavender, and garlic for grilled meats.

Calendula petals, chives, and parsley for chicken, rice, or eggs.

Scented geranium, rose, or clove pinks for toast, scones, or waffles.

Mint and dill.

Bergamot and lovage.

Lemon verbena and grated orange peel.

Costmary and tansy.

Basil, oregano, and thyme.

Marjoram and garlic.

Garlic, sesame seed, and chives.

Thanks for the quick input on making basil butter, as well as all the other ideas for me. GREAT! You are all so helpful and wonderful. I'm going to freeze up a couple of logs this week.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom