ISO Basil recipes (3 threads merged)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
jennyema said:
I have both frozen and dried my garden basil.

Frankly, I like the dried basil better for most things I cook in the winter. It is really pungent and aromatic, with concentrated flavor -- nothing like supermarket basil. Much better than Penzey's too.
Same here Jenny,
I like to dry some for myself, that stuff you get at the store is like old hay the cows won't eat!!!:LOL: It doesn't even have the smell of basil.

kadesma

Alix said:
OK, little off topic sorry. Amber, do you find the smell of potted basil resembles um...catbox a bit? When I have tried to keep mine in the house it bugged me and I had to ditch it. Is there a different type I could put in the house?

Wow, I'm very late on answering your question Alix. I just brought some basil into the house a couple weeks ago, and lol, your right about it smelling like a catbox! I ended up hanging it out on the indoor porch :) The potted basil I have doesnt smell at all, it only seems to smell when it's hanging to dry.

This thread may help you. Hope I did the link correctly, if not it's a link on here from commissaryqueen.

Sorry but my link didnt work. Just use the search button in the miscellanous forum to search for basil.

Last edited:
would recommend leaving out the parmesan from the pesto and covering with 1/2 inch of olive oil before freezing... giuliano bugialli recommends preserving basil leaves in salt, in a jar. i tried it a while back and i didnt think it was a great result, but freezing them isnt great either... they turn dark green instead of black and stay dry and crisper than when frozen

Nice thread. good work. Still have a few questions but a lot to sift through here.

One idea..Last time I did this I blanched them and then wrapped in plastic and put them in freezer. They lose a lot of flavor after more than a few months and not allthat great to start with. What if I blanche them, then mince them then put them in ice cubes? So there will be more water around them?

Does anyone have an opinion on this? I mean, would you rather freeze basil by itself or covered in water, or perhaps in oil??

Back
Top Bottom