"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-07-2006, 09:15 AM   #11
Sous Chef

What great ideas!!! I'll be adding these to my list also!!

Old 08-07-2006, 02:48 PM   #12
Master Chef

I wish to chime in with the people who prefer to freeze basil rather than dry it ... it simply loses too much flavor when you dry it. I think that the puree will be my chore tomorrow, I'll add some garlic as well. I'm also going to make a sage puree. Let's hope I do a better job of labelling than I have in some years!

Old 08-07-2006, 10:03 PM   #13
Master Chef

Oh, Daisy! Thank YOU! Now I know what to do with that cinnamon basil I got by mistake!
Old 08-07-2006, 10:13 PM   #14
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
I love, and serve on my menu, sweet basil coulis. i use thai basil, but process it in the robo coupe, and use a chardonay redux, and honey to thin it out. Strain and bottle. I serve it along with my grilled baby brie, and of all things, my cheesescake.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:31 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
OK, little off topic sorry. Amber, do you find the smell of potted basil resembles um...catbox a bit? When I have tried to keep mine in the house it bugged me and I had to ditch it. Is there a different type I could put in the house?
lol alix. did you ever notice the cat jogging away from the plant as you entered the room, with a big smile on their face?

how about making a compund basil butter? just chop some fresh basil and blend with softened butter. i like to add black pepper and a little dill, then place dollops of the blended butter on baking fish.

or nix the dill, add a little chopped garlic and parsley, and it a great spread for toasted italian bread.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 06:21 AM   #16
Cook

Send a message via MSN to Sage
Thank you.

Great ideas for basil;it is my favourite herb.I often sliver it and add to my salads, serve on tomatoes, add some to my salad dressing, sauce in the summer.
To freeze my basil I wash it,dry it my salad spinner, layer it on parchment paper on a cookie sheet and set in freezer.When it is frozen you slide them in a zip lock bag and crush them.Now you have fresh tasting basil all winter.I have been using this method for years;hope it works for you.
Old 09-23-2006, 03:52 PM   #17
Sous Chef

Basil: recipes and preserving

Basil is coming in pretty well now. I usually make pesto and Thai seafood soup w/ the basil. These are my favorite recipes. BUt I got a lot what else do people do with basil?

ALso on preserving it. I have had some success by blanching it and then freezing although it is not like fresh. Can you freeze the pesto? Other ways to either freeze it or make it into something and preserve it.

Thx.
Old 09-23-2006, 03:55 PM   #18
Sous Chef

Basil: how to preserve?/more recipes....

I am cross posting this from Recipes: Misellaneous because I am really not sure where to put it. (do we need an herb folder?) Feel free to consolodate...

Basil is coming in pretty well now. I usually make pesto and Thai seafood soup w/ the basil. These are my favorite recipes. BUt I got a lot what else do people do with basil?

ALso on preserving it. I have had some success by blanching it and then freezing although it is not like fresh. Can you freeze the pesto? Other ways to either freeze it or make it into something and preserve it.
Old 09-23-2006, 04:06 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpinmaryland
I am cross posting this from Recipes: Misellaneous because I am really not sure where to put it. (do we need an herb folder?) Feel free to consolodate...

JP,
I freeze pesto each time I make a batch. I just OMIT the parmesan and add that when I defrost. You can freeze just chopped basil and garlic in ice cube trays, to use for soups and stews. I like this myself rather than dried tired basil in a jar.
kadesma..
Old 09-23-2006, 04:09 PM   #20
Master Chef

I have both frozen and dried my garden basil.

Frankly, I like the dried basil better for most things I cook in the winter. It is really pungent and aromatic, with concentrated flavor -- nothing like supermarket basil. Much better than Penzey's too.