ISO biscuit-topped pot pie.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

suziquzie

Chef Extraordinaire
DH requested a Shepherd's Pie type recipe, but with biscuits for a top.
I could search all day for one but just wondering if anyone has a TNT....
I suppose it would be a pot pie?
I did one with puff pastry for a top once, it was good.... he wants a biscuit top. :ermm:
Help?
I've done the Bisquick one before.... he's not a big fan. Gotta be real biscuits.
Picky picky.....

By saying shepard's pie, do you mean beef?

I was thinking of Uncle Bob's chicken and biscuits recipe but just put the biscuits on top? I know...I have no pearls of wisdom to share on this thread!

no it doesnt matter what meat. chicken or pork are ok too.
thanks i'll look that up.

If it doesn't matter the meat, I've made this a few times with chicken (and once with pheasant) and it's pretty good. Chicken Mug Pie Recipe : Rachael Ray : Food Network
I still prefer chicken and biscuits though. I remember somone posted her version in my thread and she just set the biscuits on top, also, like RR's recipe. Is that what he's looking for, biscuits on top instead of mashed potatoes? But spread out like a crust?

I dont even think he cares if they're set on top or spread like a crust. Either may work....
I had to laugh when he asked today because his gramma made something like it for me and his Dad once when my oldest was a baby. DH was on the road at the time. She was getting up there in years and didn't cook umm..... as well as she used to.
My FIL I swear almost threw up and asked why she was trying to kill his first grandson.....
Boy I miss those 2 people. Peas in a pod they were....
:)

Well, basically, make your filling, thicken it up with a roux, top with biscuits and bake. I've never really gone by a recipe - I just make something like a thick stew of whatever meat and vegetables sounds good at the minute, as well as on the fly selection of seasonings. One thing that does make a big difference is to use broth, or soup base, instead of water to make the liquid portion of the stew.

Here is Uncle Bob's Chicken & Biscuits recipe which should work (if you put the biscuits on top) - and here is a more complex Biscuit-Topped Chicken Pot Pie recipe that might give you some other ideas.

suzi, look up the biscuit recipes. (I know I posted mine somewhere but can't find it!) Then just do whatever meat and veggies you have, put them in a casserole and drop the biscuits by spoonful on top. Works well. I'll go see if I can find you a link to those biscuit recipes.

OK, I'm just going to c&p it so you don't have to wade through the rest of the threads.

2 cups flour
4 tsps baking powder
1/4 cup butter
2/3 - 3/4 milk
shake of sugar
shake of salt

Blend like pastry, then add the milk til dough sticks. Either cut out with a glass or make biscuit "blobs". This makes about a dozen small biscuits.

Last edited:
I do kind of what Michael in FtW does. I poach some chicken, and pick it apart. Bones get saved for the next batch of stock. Meat gets rough-cut. Whatever veggies I want to use, drained, or in the case of frozen, thawed. I will saute the veggies lightly, along with whatever seasonings I feel like using. Here comes the fun part: Deglaze the pan with some chicken stock, about a cup or so (I like to use my concentrated homemade stuff), then add some Cream of Chicken Soup (one of my few caveats to convience foods). Season to taste with salt and pepper (easy on the salt). If it's to thick, add a little milk.

I will grease a large roasting pan (I have A LOT of people to feed), and pour the mixture into that. I use Bisquick for the biscuit topper (one of my other caveats to convience foods). If your DH doesn't like Bisquick, have you thought about Grands Biscuits? Just open the can, rip the biscuit in half, top the mix, and bake? You may have to play this one by ear, the biscuit may overcook by the time the mixture is thoroughly heated.

Have you tried a Chicken a la King recipe (basically what you're asking for, very similar to Chicken Pot Pie)?

Back
Top Bottom