ISO Brand names for chilpolte peppers in oil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
Help! This week I have to find chilpolte peppers packed in oil. I don't have a brand name (and can only find those packed in adobe sauce). I don't recall ever seeing chilpolte peppers packed in oil. I'm hoping that someone on DC is familiar with them packed this way and can post a brand name or two. Thanks!

Sorry CWS, not finding any, have never found them in oil. Chipotles are a smoked jalapeno chili, they would need to be rehydrated to infuse oil.

Help! This week I have to find chilpolte peppers packed in oil. I don't have a brand name (and can only find those packed in adobe sauce). I don't recall ever seeing chilpolte peppers packed in oil. I'm hoping that someone on DC is familiar with them packed this way and can post a brand name or two. Thanks!

Never seen them in oil.

Not really a need to pack them like that since they are very easily dried

Clarification from the Chef--yes, he meant chilpolte peppers in adobe sauce. The gal sourcing them didn't know what they were. I was right--they don't come packed in a jar in oil, at least, not that I could find. In adobe sauce it is. Anyone want to share their favorite brand? I have to p/up with the wholesaler tomorrow, but call ahead to order and if the wholesaler has more than one brand, I'll have to play eenie-meany-miney-moo. The only ones I ever see here are Hernandez. That doesn't mean the wholesaler won't have other options re: brands in #10 cans. For my own pantry, I don't usually pick up #10 cans of chilpolte peppers in adobe sauce.

Last edited:
Never seen them in oil.

Not really a need to pack them like that since they are very easily dried
The chef specifically indicated "not dried." I usually use dried ones. And have lots of them--we make our own from the jalapenos in the garden. But, these are not for me or a recipe I'm making.

Sorry for the spelling errors--I'm cutting and pasting here on the fly as I have been trying to hunt down a source for other ingredients--still have to find 640 yellow beets "the size of golf balls" since baby beets are no where to be found. I hope I don't have to go to the produce depot and hand pick those tomorrow...that could take a loooooong time. Had to hand pick 184 Star Anise last week--no broken ones, please. That took some doing. Who knew shopping could be so exhausting? And did you know that the markup on vanilla beans is outrageous? Locally, vanilla beans are about $2-$2.50/each. From the wholesaler, Madagascar bourbon beans are about 80 cents each?

Last edited:
The chef specifically indicated "not dried." I usually use dried ones. And have lots of them--we make our own from the jalapenos in the garden. But, these are not for me or a recipe I'm making.

Chipotles, are smoked, dried, ripe (red) jalapenos. There isn't a fresh version. You can either buy them canned, which are reconstituted in adobo sauce or do it yourself in adobo or water. Sounds like the chef may be misinformed about them.

Back
Top Bottom