ISO Breakfast ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DOpig

Assistant Cook
Somthing light with fruit and may be a muffin of some sort. Serving 6 adults. Needs to be easy because I'm no chef and still learning to cook. Thanks.

One of my favorite breakfasts is (dont' laugh) baked apples. I core the apple then mix oatmeal, brown sugar and cinnamon and stuff the apples with that, Very yummy!

DO, I'm home from work now and just looked at my own breakfast recipe file.

You may want to try Dutch Babies. VERY easy, and very impressive when they FIRST come out of the oven (you may want to have your guests seated when you take them out, since they puff up really high, then deflate before you eat them).

Here's the recipe I use. You could make 6 servings out of one 9 x 13 pan, but you might want to serve some sausages along side. They go well with maple syrup, too.

And sliced fruit or fruit cocktail would be great!

Lee

Dutch Babies

1/3 cup butter
5 large eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup flour
Powdered sugar and syrup

Put butter in 9 x 13 inch baking dish and set in a 425 oven to melt. While butter is melting, put the eggs in a blender and blend on high for one minute. Gradually add milk, then flour (slowly), blend for 30 seconds.

Remove the baking dish from the oven, and pour the batter into the hot, melted butter. Return to 425 oven and bake until puffy and nicely browned, 20-25 minutes. Serve immediately with powdered sugar and syrup.

Suggestion: Other good sauce accompaniments include fresh strawberries, brown sugar, sour cream, banana or papaya slices sautéed in butter and served with lime wedges, or sautéed apple slices, sweetened with cinnamon and sugar, and served with sour cream or plain yogurt.

Serves four

Qsis, that sounds very good. It reminds me of a sweet yorkshire pudding but the egg proportion in your recipe is much higher than in yorkshire pudding.
When I last watched America's Test Kitchen, they made yorkshire pudding with the same method but used muffin cups instead of a big pan. The presentation was nice. I wonder if your recipe couldn't be made in muffin cups? They heated the oil in the muffin cups while preparing the batter and then poured in the batter and then baked.
Just a thought.

For an easy breakfast, what about a sausage egg casserole assembled the night before. Ingredients, cubed breads, sausage precooked, cheese, eggs, cream or milk, mustard powder, S&P, soak it overnight in a 9x13 inch pan, bake in the morning. Very hearty.

I tried my first shired eggs today put some ham into a buttered ramekin dropped in two eggs, added some heavy cream a dab of buter and topped it with some jack cheese that I shredded, baked til set and done the way iwanted it, then I added a toasted english muff and some minted fruit salad...Took a little time but it was yummy
kadesma

I have a quiche recipe and a breakfast "pie" both can be made ahead of time. Also some sticky buns made the night before as well as sausage and egg casserole or a wonderful french toast casserole -both made the night before. Muffins and scones are always good too!

Qsis, Yeah, I think I'm leaning towards this with some sausage patties.

Blissful, Thanks for the Yorkshire idea but that is too involved and the casserole idea was taken by the other couple we are vacationing with.

Michelemarie, I haven't thrown out the idea of a baked french toast.

Thank you all! My mind is now about to go into overload:LOL:

Kadesma, Minted fruit salad:-p! Here is your chance to be a teacher:chef:. Share with me a recipe and the how to's.:flowers:
Sorry I'm just getting back to you..I just pick the fruit I like best and that is in season, now and then I splurge and buy some strawberries or blackberries but usually I use several types of melon a honeydew and watermelon the small one that is all heart and no seeds, I add a can of drained pineapple chunks, the berries,apple slices several peeled and sectioned oranges, red seedless grapes, halved...I take the mint and add it to a simple syrup which I chill then pour over the fruit then chill the whole thing. To make a simple syrup I just take 1 cup of water and 1/2 cup of sugar,the juice of 2 limes, mix together and bring to a boil add a half a bunch of mint push it down into the hot liquid and simmer several minutes.pour through a strainer let cool then pour over your fruit..If serving in one large bowl I add several sprigs of the mint to garnish, do the same using one sprig for a single serving...You can add a jigger or two of vodka to your simple syrup if there will be only adults, plain if children are expected. Enjoy
kadesma

Very thinly slice some pineapple and lay on a large platter. Then chop some fresh mint and scrunch together in a pestle & mortar with some sugar. Sprinkle over pineapple and that's it. Very simple but very delicious!
Then I would maybe do a simple scrambled egg dish with some thinly sliced smoked salmon and dill folded in at the last minute and serve on some toast that has been cut diagonally from a French stick.
That's just me though, it might sound horrible to others...:blush:

Back
Top Bottom