ISO: Butter recipes (pumpkin? apple?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jessicacarr

Senior Cook
I stumbled upon a recipe for pumpkin butter. num! num! :w00t:
I also know there is such thing as apple butter, but i dont know of any other kind of 'butter' flavors that are made from this same fashion.
so based off this, here are my questions:

* can you suggest any other kinds/flavors?
(please keep in mind, i am talking about from the same fashion, so i am not talking about actual butter recipes, like herbed butter and the like :)

* is there a base recipe from which to work for other kinds/flavors?

After typing the above, I did some googling on this and have found answers to these questions from the engine search (and i even have found this fashion is called "fruit butters"), but it is usually rewarding to get yall's input too, becuase when you have so many different people and cultures then there is bound to be more variety in ideas, knowledge and experience :)

thank yall at dc so much for your input. yall are always so great!!!

SO PLEASE BURRRRINNNG IT ON :mrgreen:

Apple and pumpkin butter are great seasonal items to have in your pantry. However, as with most things, you don't need a recipe for other "butters", you need a procedure that you can duplicate with any type of fruit. This way, you've freed yourself from recipes and have created something you can call your own.

Basic procedure for making fruit "butter":
Cook your fruit or vegetable in liquid until very soft
Puree or pass through a food mill
Add spices, seasonings and condiments.
Cook to evaporate liquids and adjust consistency.

So, with that basic procedure, you can make apple butter, Red Pepper Butter, Quince Butter, Kiwi Butter, Corn Butter, cranberry butter, peach butter, lemon butter, onion butter, green tomato butter.... must I go on?

Cook by basic methods and everything else is up to the ingredients you have on hand and the inspiration in your head.

Back
Top Bottom