"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 11-26-2007, 06:52 PM   #21
Master Chef

Well, Goggin, we've had LOTS of requests for "cheap and easy recipes" so we've got LOTS of cheap and easy recipes here on DC! You'll just have to browse around in the various Specific Chat & Recipes cooking forums under a catagory that you are interested in ... beef, chicken, fish, soup, stews, chili, casseroles, etc. and see what sounds good to you. If you are looking for something specific and need help - just let us know.

We did have a thread a while back that you might find of interest, If you only had $5.00 what would you fix for a family of 4? This thread has some recipes - and a lot more ideas that are all simple and cheap.

Oh - you don't have to have a wok to stir-fry ... a sauté pan will work just fine if you don't have a wok.

Old 11-26-2007, 07:59 PM   #22
Assistant Cook

will do thanks a bunch guys.

Old 11-26-2007, 08:12 PM   #23
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goggin View Post
will do thanks a bunch guys. do you know of a place to get good cooking hardware for cheap?
Wal-Mart. Or, try garage sales/thrift stores.

Here's my easy/cheap dish:

1 can tuna
1 box mac n cheese
butter
milk
lemon juice
salt/pepper

Cook mac n cheese according to box.
Add tuna and lemon juice, salt and pepper.

My sister likes it with peas too.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:24 PM   #24
Master Chef

Goggin - I split your last post and moved the question about cookware to our Cookware and Accessories Forum, under the Cookware subforum - where we discuss cookware. You can find it here: ISO good cooking hardware for cheap
Old 11-26-2007, 08:27 PM   #25
Hospitality Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goggin View Post
will do thanks a bunch guys. do you know of a place to get good cooking hardware for cheap?
Another good way to get the best stuff is to ask your Mom, Aunts, Grandmas, etc. They'll probably give you lots!
Good to keep in mind: if the cookware is cheap, it won't be good. Really. It's better to save up for one really good pan than to use the same money to buy a box of cheap ones. Christmas is coming - perhaps you can ask for one!

I'm with the others - roasts are so incredibly easy! As a matter of fact, in my oven now is a nice top round roast with some halved red potatoes, quartered sweet potatoes, celery quarters, along with salt & pepper & my some "grizzly joe's" seasoning. I've got it somewhere between 325 and 350.
I think it took all of 6 minutes to prepare. The only thing that takes a long time is the oven!

I'd steer clear of all "hamburger helper" type meals. If it comes in a box, chances are it's really high in salt and other stuff you don't need.

I'm always impressed when a young person wants to cook - kudos to you!
Old 11-26-2007, 09:43 PM   #26
Executive Chef

Tater tot casserole.

One pound ground beef
One bag tater tots
One can corn
One can cream of mushroom soup.

Brown grown beef, layer on bottom of 13 by 9 dish. Layer corn over ground beef. Pour cream of mushroom soup. Salt and pepper. Layer tater tots. Bake 20 minutes on 350 degrees.

Now ~ it's been a while since I've made this and it MAY need half a can of milk to dilute the cream of mushroom soup. It depends on the soup you buy. Cambell's doesn't, Walmart might. Use your judgment and maybe I'll make it this week and confirm use of milk or not.

This freezes well and makes a big pan full.

A thought on cookware ~ you need a couple of pans, a fry pan, and some good pyrex baking dishes. Those are staples. Maybe you could ask for some of that for Christmas.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:57 PM   #27
Head Chef

Another option is the Four Ingredient Cookbook:

Amazon.com: 4 ingredient cook book

You can p/u a used copy.

For inexpensive cookware, Wal-Mart may have a seven piece non-stick set (w lids etc) - particularly this time of year w all the sales going on.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:28 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
cheap and easy - ramen noodles, cooked and in the bowl, squeeze of lime, a little cilantro, a couple dashes of either Tiger Sauce or Pickapeppa - YUM!

Someone here mentioned this one and I have tried it and it's great! Cook whatever your favorite noodles are. Mix heated noodles with some cottage cheese and parmesan. It's nice a creamy and the cottage cheese gives you the protein. Add a little garlic powder and some oregano for a bit more flavor but I swear - it's good without it too!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 11:31 PM   #29
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
cheap and easy - ramen noodles, cooked and in the bowl, squeeze of lime, a little cilantro, a couple dashes of either Tiger Sauce or Pickapeppa - YUM!
Speaking of Ramen noodles. Ramen, hard boiled eggs, sweet pea pods. Add soy sauce. It's cheap and livable.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:17 AM   #30
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post

Someone here mentioned this one and I have tried it and it's great! Cook whatever your favorite noodles are. Mix heated noodles with some cottage cheese and parmesan. It's nice a creamy and the cottage cheese gives you the protein. Add a little garlic powder and some oregano for a bit more flavor but I swear - it's good without it too!
(In my Rodney Dangerfield voice) No respect, I tell you. I get no respect! My Hungarian Grandma must be smiling down when she hears how much you like the dish. When I was little, she boiled up some broad egg noodles, drained, add salt & peper & a few pats of butter; stir. Mix in cold cottage cheese & eat it while the noodles are still hot (right out of the pot w a fork, while no one's looking, haha.)