"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-12-2005, 04:21 AM   #11
Executive Chef

I've used kale if that's what I've got in the kitchen at the time. 8-)

As for the cheddar - I'm not sure whether this is 'traditional', in the sense of being an ingredient in every version of rumbledethumps, but it's in my family 'receipt' book ... so we've been eating it like that for a very long time!

Interestingly, corned beef and cabbage was not an Irish dish until the American tourists went to visit Ireland and asked for the dish! I've read that it is an American dish that Irish immigrants in one of the main cities invented to remind them of home. In Ireland it was always more usual to eat boiled bacon (or gammon) with colcannon. However, when you go to pubs in some ares of Ireland that have a lot of tourists from the USA, you can now get 'corned beef and cabbage'...

Old 03-14-2005, 07:01 PM   #12
Certified Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishbel
I've used kale if that's what I've got in the kitchen at the time. 8-)

As for the cheddar - I'm not sure whether this is 'traditional', in the sense of being an ingredient in every version of rumbledethumps, but it's in my family 'receipt' book ... so we've been eating it like that for a very long time!

Interestingly, corned beef and cabbage was not an Irish dish until the American tourists went to visit Ireland and asked for the dish! I've read that it is an American dish that Irish immigrants in one of the main cities invented to remind them of home. In Ireland it was always more usual to eat boiled bacon (or gammon) with colcannon. However, when you go to pubs in some ares of Ireland that have a lot of tourists from the USA, you can now get 'corned beef and cabbage'...
Ishbel that is true in this country of a lot of foods that have ethnic origins. Pizza in Italy only had evoo and garlic and perhaps oregano or basil. I did end up with a small very lean corned beef, but am fixing it with colcannon (using Kale) and basically your recipe. I always roast my corned beef in the oven, prefer the taste to boiling it which IMHO ends up putting the falvor into the water which is usually dumped. What might your menu be, Ishbel?

Old 03-16-2005, 05:22 AM   #13
Executive Chef

As I'm not Irish, I don't buy into the St Patrick's Day celebrations!

BUT, I've got lots of Irish friends and most of them don't go 'mad' on the Irish-ness, either. For most of them, it is a religious holiday, not a green beer day! Although, my husband was in Dublin a couple of years ago, and said that they are getting much more into the swing of things, in the American way, but he thought it was probably because tourists expect it!

BUT, I've never known the Irish (or the Scots, for that matter) to resist an excuse for a 'hooley' as they call it
Old 03-16-2005, 05:34 PM   #14
Certified Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishbel
As I'm not Irish, I don't buy into the St Patrick's Day celebrations!

BUT, I've got lots of Irish friends and most of them don't go 'mad' on the Irish-ness, either. For most of them, it is a religious holiday, not a green beer day! Although, my husband was in Dublin a couple of years ago, and said that they are getting much more into the swing of things, in the American way, but he thought it was probably because tourists expect it!

BUT, I've never known the Irish (or the Scots, for that matter) to resist an excuse for a 'hooley' as they call it
Sorry Ishbel about the mixup, when I asked about colcannon, someone referred you to me. I am Norwegian and celebrate associated holidays, but always enjoyed the music and the festivities for this holiday. Thanks for your input.
Old 03-16-2005, 07:15 PM   #15
Executive Chef

I am english/finn.........got to put bacon in it.
Old 03-17-2005, 03:31 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Norge
I think a lot of people think that Irish and Scots are interchangeable - and, although we may be similar, (including some of our recipes) we're also totally different! I'm a proud Scot 8-)
Old 03-17-2005, 08:40 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

that's a common mistake here in the usa ishbel, because of the massive waves of irish immigration through the end of the 19th century and into the 20th. many scots, who had moved to ireland for various political and economic reasons generations before, moved on to america, calling themselves the scots-irish, and settled mostly in the southeast.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 09:32 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Yes, Buckytom, but Norn Irish Scots aren't really Scots They were mostly border reivers that we couldn't wait to get rid of 8-)