ISO comments on distilled vinegar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Does distilled vinegar have any value in the kitchen other than cleaning the sink?

I tried using 1/3 the amount of red wine vinegar called for in a salsa and it seemed to come out fine.

I mix distilled vinegar with simply dried chili flakes for topping pulled pork sandwiches. You can certainly make more complicated sauces but something that simple is quite good too.

We also use it for splashing on cooked greens. I use it in my chicken adobo recipe. There are recipes out there that use white vinegar. Just do a Google search. :chef:

watermelonman said:
Does distilled vinegar have any value in the kitchen other than cleaning the sink?

I tried using 1/3 the amount of red wine vinegar called for in a salsa and it seemed to come out fine.

Were you canning the salsa? If you were then you need to be careful to use the exact amount of vinegar (or other acid) in the recipe. It will keep your food from spoiling.

I use vinegar for lots of things. I make salad dressings with it, it goes in some of my baking, some of my marinades...lots of things.

Distilled vinegar is indispensable to me in making hot pepper sauce!
Apple Cider vinegar is indispensable to me in making a vinegar based BBQ sauce/mop

Enjoy!

I use it for making pickles, jellies and hot sauces but not much else.

I think it's too harsh for salad dressings. Plus it has zero flavor. If I want a neutral vinegar for dressings or dipping sauces or something else, I'll usually use rice or rice wine vinegar

watermelonman said:

I LOVE distilled vinegar :) One of my favorite snacks is sliced cucumbers soaked in vinegar - nope, nothing else, just cukes and vinegar. After they've soaked for at least 30 minutes, I eat them up. I've been known to forget about them and leave them in the fridge for 24 hours or so, and I'll still eat them, I just pucker a bit more ;)

My grandson does the same thing. His favorite snack is sliced cucumbers and tomatoes in vingegar with salt. He would rather eat this than cookies. When he finishes the tomatoes and cukes he drinks the vinegar.

Aurora said:
My grandson does the same thing. His favorite snack is sliced cucumbers and tomatoes in vingegar with salt. He would rather eat this than cookies. When he finishes the tomatoes and cukes he drinks the vinegar.

Oooohh, I haven't tried it with tomatoes! Will give it a try tonight - Thanks :)

Aurora said:

This is a great snack with red wine or balsamic vinegar.

Aurora said:

Cider and other fruit vinegars are supposed to be quite healthful as a drink. I'm not sure whether the same applies to distilled white vinegar.

My recipe for Cincinnati chili (i.e., also known in other places as Greek chili, or even Greek spaghetti sauce) calls for a couple tablespoons of plain old distilled vinegar. I have tried making it with various other kinds of vinegar, but it never tastes as good. the other stuff is just too mild.

Cooking aside, if you live some place where there is a humidity problem and you do not have central a/c, a half cup or so in your laundry's rinse cycle will delete the mildewy smell that sometimes happens in a load of towels.

Along the same lines as gotgarlic and aurora, we make a fresh cucumber salad with vinegar (plain old white), sugar, salt, pepper, sliced onion and thin sliced cucumbers. You can add a scoop of mayo to make it creamy if you like. Simply delicious! Also, I make refrigerator pickles and that use plain old vinegar ... they are better than any I've tried to can.

There are many of my mom and grandmother's recipes that just go better with white vinegar ... probably because that's what they were originally made with.

Me three, four or whatever on using plain'ole white vinegar for quick cucumber pickles and quick pickled radishes too...

pkldradishkl2.jpg

I just put those in, by dinner time they'll be pink :)

I also use white vinegar for many processed pickles/relishes/chilisauces, and in the boiled dressing for my favourite coleslaw :chef:

G

I use it also for Chili sauces and pickles (although I do add Laboratory grade GAA) to alter the % accordingly depending on the application.

it`s good also for Sweet/Sour sauces where you don`t want any color contamination to spoil the look.

Back
Top Bottom