"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-27-2011, 10:01 AM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

ISO converting pan size

I want to make a cupcake recipe but I want to use the mini cupcake size. How do I figure out the time needed to bake the mini cupcakes?

Old 03-27-2011, 10:20 AM   #2
Senior Cook

I would start checking them using the toothpick method about half way through the time suggested.

When the toothpick comes out clean then they are done.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:51 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

That would be the "by guess and by golly" method. Since baking involves chemistry, I guess I was thinking "spreadsheet, equation, table" where one could plug in the new pan/muffin paper size and get the percentage by which to reduce or increase the time based on the change in the mass. Kinda like an online converter where you can convert baking times rather than measurements <g>. It would seem that linear heat transfer equation might work. The recipe I wanted to try has a baking time of 23 minutes. Using an LHT equation, the baking time to raise the center temperature to approx. 190 degrees would be between 8 and 16 minutes. I'm guessing the cooking time will be between 14-16 minutes. If anyone knows of such a spreadsheet...I looked on the Internet (maybe I didn't put in the right keywords), a link to the same would be appreciated.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:42 PM   #4
Head Chef

While it is probably mathematically possible to figure out the time involved to heat a given mass to a specified temperature with a given temperature input. I would guess that there are too many variables to arrive at a meaningful answer. I would go with the toothpick method.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:46 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

I'd bet there is a fixed relationship between the cooking times for a mini cupcake size vs. standard or large cupcake sizes with the same recipe.

I think your best bet is to experiment and make notes. Buy some cake mixes on sale and donate the results to the local senior center. You'll have your info and make a lot of people happy at the same time.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:50 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Interestingly enough, there are several articles in peer-reviewed domestic and international journals on this (the ones I read this a.m. had to do with bread). That's enough to peak the curiosity of my DH--nothing like a problem grounded in the laws of physics for which he can tweak an equation to get his brain churning. Especially if he might be able to "spin" an article for a journal out of it. Some people's ideas of "fun" are different from others <g>.

Have to say, one of my pet peeves is a cake recipe that saws "can also be used to make cupcakes" but doesn't even hint at the time it takes for cupcakes...
Old 03-28-2011, 12:55 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I'd bet there is a fixed relationship between the cooking times for a mini cupcake size vs. standard or large cupcake sizes with the same recipe.

I think your best bet is to experiment and make notes. Buy some cake mixes on sale and donate the results to the local senior center. You'll have your info and make a lot of people happy at the same time.
There definitely is. The spatial area of the mini-cupcake is about 2/3rds that of the large size. The result for the equation for LHT is about 2/3rds that of the large size--the flex would be 1/3 to 2/3 of the cooking time for the large size. Of course, what the equation can't factor in is temperature fluctuation if you open the door or if your oven thermostat is funky or the size of the oven (large vs. small).
Old 03-28-2011, 01:26 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
...Of course, what the equation can't factor in is temperature fluctuation if you open the door or if your oven thermostat is funky or the size of the oven (large vs. small).

All baking recipes have to deal with the variables you mention and more, not just converted ones. Posted times are always to be taken as guidelines. Individual results may vary.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:38 PM   #9
Executive Chef

I still don't see what's wrong with using a toothpick. The principle of transmitting a given value of heat to the core of the batter of a cake or a cupcake so it can rise and solidify is the same. By my measure, the thickness of a single layer in a cake pan is very close to that of a cup cake, and since the heat is transmitted through the minor dimension of both, the time should be about the same. That's where the toothpick comes in. At the baking time the cake is due is when I would test the cupcakes for doneness. Adding 3 minutes at a time once or twice should complete the process.

No muss... no Pythagorean theorems... no headache trying to calculate the surface of a sphere... just meeting the everyday challenges of baking with tried and true techniques.
Old 03-28-2011, 02:08 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
I still don't see what's wrong with using a toothpick. The principle of transmitting a given value of heat to the core of the batter of a cake or a cupcake so it can rise and solidify is the same. By my measure, the thickness of a single layer in a cake pan is very close to that of a cup cake, and since the heat is transmitted through the minor dimension of both, the time should be about the same. That's where the toothpick comes in. At the baking time the cake is due is when I would test the cupcakes for doneness. Adding 3 minutes at a time once or twice should complete the process.

No muss... no Pythagorean theorems... no headache trying to calculate the surface of a sphere... just meeting the everyday challenges of baking with tried and true techniques.
But some of us like mathematical calculations.