"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 07-30-2011, 09:58 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

ISO "Cooking for One" cookbooks?

Hello, I'm new to this forum and hoping to learn from all of ya'll.

So I just graduated college and I am now on my own. No parents, no meal plan... just me.... I have basically little experience with cooking and I don't know where to start.

So I am looking for a cookbook. I am looking for a cookbook to basically plan everything out for me for the week, since I don't know how. Ideally I would want the cookbook to have a shopping list for me for the upcoming week and I would go buy that and then it would have the recipes for the week using that shopping list. Does anything like that exist?

I think this would get my feet wet and get myself more comfortable with cooking.

Old 07-30-2011, 11:12 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Licia, a member of this board, is looking to write a cookbook that sounds like just what you need. Try emailing her. Get a church or local community cookbook, they have lots of good info!

Ask away, folks here have a wealth of knowlege.

When I was in college, we always found out where the best Happy Hours (and free food) were. Kept us going even when we were diirt poor.

Old 07-30-2011, 11:55 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Licia, a member of this board, is looking to write a cookbook that sounds like just what you need. Try emailing her. Get a church or local community cookbook, they have lots of good info!

Ask away, folks here have a wealth of knowlege.

When I was in college, we always found out where the best Happy Hours (and free food) were. Kept us going even when we were diirt poor.
Thanks I'll e-mail her.. I miss college.. I'm out of college now and have a full time job.. do you have any titles that you can recommend that is similar to what I am looking for? As i said I have no experience in cooking basically and shopping... Figure this is a still I will need to survive :)
Old 07-31-2011, 12:08 AM   #4
Head Chef

I think you might have better luck looking for a cook book for 2. Eat one meal and freeze the other. After awhile you will be able to come up with ways to use the remaining ingredients, turning one meal into something else. Have fun!!
Old 07-31-2011, 12:16 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennywaltz

Thanks I'll e-mail her.. I miss college.. I'm out of college now and have a full time job.. do you have any titles that you can recommend that is similar to what I am looking for? As i said I have no experience in cooking basically and shopping... Figure this is a still I will need to survive :)
Check out "How to Cook Everything" by Mark Bittman. It's available on IPad, and IPhone, also through Amazon.

Ramen noodles are your friend, cheap and tasty, but loaded with salt. Check out the archives here, just plug in your key recipe words.

Minute Rice with Velveeta, microwave with veggies like shredded carrots and celery.

Get seasonal veg like corn on the cob, microwave for 5 minutes in the husk. Frozen peas on salads are good too, along with cottage cheese.
Check with your mom or grandma, surely they have some advice!
Old 07-31-2011, 01:09 AM   #6
Senior Cook

Just do a Google search "Recipes for one", or "recipes for two". Could even try "meals for one" etc...
There are cookbooks out there, but the main ones I've seen are only based around meals for two. You could also search "one pot" recipes, you can usually freeze most of these types of meals. Your freezer will be stocked up! :)
Old 07-31-2011, 06:37 AM   #7
Senior Cook

You have a good plan to buy enough to make meals for the week, this way you won't be buying daily, this is where I waste money. I also find that I buy far too much when I buy daily as i'm often hungry when I'm out shopping and just get whatever I fancy there and then and don't get through half of it. If you want quick and easy meals then good old Jamie Oliver is useful as he uses a lot of fresh vegetables, herbs and pasta which is easy to reduce down to the size of a meal for one.
You could always bake something over the weekend that you can keep in the fridge for a few days to eat during the week with some salad.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:16 AM   #8
Head Chef

Hi Penny Welcome to DC.
I would look into a cook book program that will change the serving size, Like from (4 to 1). Then you can find thousand of recipes online and type them into your program them let the software change the serving size.

Josie
Old 08-01-2011, 08:31 AM   #9
Senior Cook

Penny, I was just at the library and saw a cookbook called "Single Servings". Didn't see an authors name on it. I have a feeling that its been produced by a company.

You could see if your local library has it, or even your local bookstore, or order it online? It looked really good, I almost borrowed it but had my arms full of cookbooks already. If you're interested I could get you the info about the book if you liked.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:40 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Penny, I didn't think of it when I answered your pm, but a rotisserie chicken is a good place to start. Even with the two of us, I make 2 meals at least. You can take the already cooked chicken from the bones and make sliced chicken for one meal, an entree including chicken with another, a salad or soup - an endless variety of meals plus you can freeze the chicken at any interval for a later meal. It really comes in handy when the hunger is there, but not much time. I do have a cookbook for two somewhere among my many shelves and if I can find it I will post the name or maybe some of the simpler recipes. I know with your interest you will do very well. BTW, when we get our cookbook off the ground I will post some of what we've come up with. The task is going a bit slower than we thought - but time really gets away in the summer time.

Tags
cookbooks, cooking