ISO different ways to prepare hotdogs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tdiprincess

Senior Cook
Ok so, my husband loves hotdogs. He grew up with basically the same things for dinner. He's used to having hotdogs almost everyday. Growing up, I liked hotdogs more than burgers. Well, while we were dating, it was during the summertime and I got "hotdogged out" of hotdogs. Is there any ideas on how to spruce up the hotdog so I'm happy and my husband? :yuk:

Gosh I will forage and put almost anything on the dogs. Love kinchee. Of course kraut, cole slaw, pickles, chopped olives, and of course all the usual stuff like ketchup, mustard, chili, cheese, you know the wroks.

Love Chicage style dogs - Google for recipe.

Then of course I love my chili dog casserole.

Ok so, my husband loves hotdogs. He grew up with basically the same things for dinner. He's used to having hotdogs almost everyday. Growing up, I liked hotdogs more than burgers. Well, while we were dating, it was during the summertime and I got "hotdogged out" of hotdogs. Is there any ideas on how to spruce up the hotdog so I'm happy and my husband? :yuk:

How about an Italian Dog

Italian hot dog

Breakfast Burrito Dog

Hot Dog Breakfast Burrito

Try topping your dawg with bacon & diced avocado

Or - One of my faves... Pink's

Pinks Hot Dogs

Last edited:
I love hot dogs.

One thing the kids (and I) always loved is hot dogs cut up in macaroni and cheese or baked beans.

You can also make a great appetizer with hot dogs. Mix together a small jar of mustard and another of current (or apple or grape) jelly in a saucepan and heat, stirring frequently until the sauce is smooth and bubbling. In the meantime, slice the hot dogs diagonally, and add to sauce. Let simmer for a while until the dogs cooked.

Have you done the Pigs in a Blanket, where you wrap the crescent rolls around the hot dogs and bake them on a cookie sheet?

Oh, yum, Constance, you just remind me of favorite of myne hot dogs and noodles fried up, yum. And for pig in a blanket I like to use pastry dough.

I like cut up hot dogs fried up with some bacon and onion and then some baked beans added. I have a pic on here somewhere. Nice quick lunch or dinner served on a couple slices of bread. I eat hot dogs raw, too, on a bun with some mustard. It tastes better to me than a bologna sandwich. And of course with the various toppings like mentioned.
My favorites are Smith's skinned, made right here in Erie, but maybe for a "changeup" you could buy a different brand... foot longs, ballpark franks, kosher..... Maybe instead of a regular bun, try those New England buns like HoJos used to have. Those add a nice twist.
I love hotdogs probably as much as your husband. Even took 'em to school as a kid in grade school like I mentioned above. On a bun with mustard.
Sure with I still had those old metal lunchboxes...... :neutral:

Hot dog wraps
  • Hot dogs (sliced)
  • Tortillas
  • Tomato (chopped)
  • Hot pepper rings (aka banana peppers)
  • Onion (chopped)
  • Celery seed
  • Dill pickles
  • Brown mustard

How about "Cabbage & Weiners" ?? Cabbage cooked (with a little bacon drippings) and Weenies cut up into bite size pieces. Serve with hot cornbread cakes with a little mustard on the side. Take a bite of weenie dipped in the mustard, followed by a bite of corn bread...You'll think you are eating a Corn Dog:LOL: It's really good if you like all of the components!:chef:

Enjoy!

I just opend the Frig, and saw a jar of Italian Olive Salad from Central Grocery...I bet it would be good on a Hot Dog!! Kind of a 'Muffuletta Dog'! :)

these all sound like good ideas. I have tried the mac and cheese, I liked that growing up. But he likes it separated. But he did like the breakfast burrito and few of the other ideas. The hotdog wraps sound good and using it as an appetizer sounds really really good. These are things I want to try!
I grew up in an Italian home...the Italian hot dog is soooo much better with some good Italian sausage, I can't picture it with the same toppings.. I might try it.
Thanks!

I LOVE hot dogs, I've been craving a nathans with chili in a potato bun for a few days, actually.

I've cut up hot dogs and put it in spaghetti before, in place of ground beef/turkey.

You could finely dice the hot dogs up and fry them, and sprinkle them on a salad.

I used to slice them lengthwise and fry them, then make a sandwich of them!

Hot dogs and kraut was a family favorite growing up.

Chunked, fried and slathered with BBQ sauce, on a bun with cheese and onions
is good too.

• Wrap hotdog in bacon and grill (Nathan's hotdogs are wonderful this way)
  • Get the big, fat hotdogs and split (but not all the way through), fill with cooked mashed potatoes, top with cheese, bake in oven until everything is hot and cheese is melted (350 for about 30 minutes or so) and this is especially good with kielbasa
  • As mentioned, pigs in a blanket but add different "fillings" i.e., different cheeses (pepperjack maybe?), bacon, mustard, ketchup, sauerkraut and brown spicy mustard, etc.

I LOVE hot dogs, I've been craving a nathans with chili in a potato bun for a few days, actually.

I've cut up hot dogs and put it in spaghetti before, in place of ground beef/turkey.

You could finely dice the hot dogs up and fry them, and sprinkle them on a salad.

Funny my uncle owns nathan's.. i like the dicing the hotdogs up and sprinkling them in salad...sounds good

And nobody has mentioned the "Octodog"? Ok - you need a sharp knife and a steady hand ... starting about 1-inch from one end ... slit the weiner in half, turn 90º and repeat - then turn 45º and repeat, and another 90º and repeat one last time (I think I got all the angles right). You should now have a weiner with a 1-inch body and 8 tenticles ... (if it's too difficult you can probably get by with just 4 or 6 cuts) ... drop into a pot of boiling water until cooked thru .... serve on top of mac-n-cheese or pork-n-beans/baked beans .... looks like an octopus!

Oh, yum, Constance, you just remind me of favorite of myne hot dogs and noodles fried up, yum. And for pig in a blanket I like to use pastry dough.

I too love pigs in a blanket. But instead of pastry dough, I encase my hot dog in raw bread dough, after the first rise. Let it rise again, and bake until golden brown. You can also add fillings inside the dough before rolling it around the hot dog. Cheese works great, along with diced onion. Then, when done, you simply cut the end off, slather the outside with butter, and squirt your favorite condoments inside the "blanket".

Yum!

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Slice them up and deep fry. Also deep fry potato chunks too. Toss in a paper bag and serve in a basket.

Also, my mother used to cook them in stewed tomatoes with chopped onion and serve over potatoes that she put through a ricer.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom