"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 05-10-2005, 12:05 PM   #1
Master Chef

ISO Favorite Lemon Recipes

I've been invited to a bridal shower (for someone I don't even know but I have to go as it's a family obligation thing ). We've been asked to make sure that everything we bring for the bride includes the theme of lemons--apparently the groom proposed as the couple overlooked lemon trees so the bridesmaids are going nuts with the lemon idea! I envision her getting a lot of lemon-scented candles and cleaning products!

I'm going to put together a cookbook of recipes that include lemon as an ingredient. I have several in my collection but would love to include any that you all have, too. I'm planning on doing the standard sections--apps, soups, salads,....--essentially the same as the forums we have here.

Thanks for your ideas!

Old 05-10-2005, 12:11 PM   #2
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
PA, that's too funny! I was just looking for recipes for lemon curd. I'm getting ready to make soe & will post the results & recipe this afternoon. BTW, I think the cookbook is a great idea!!

Old 05-10-2005, 12:13 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
crewsk i was going to suggest lemon curd lol
Old 05-10-2005, 12:18 PM   #4
Master Chef

LOL--talk about great minds! It's already on my list. Crewsk, I have a good lemon curd recipe if you end up needing one. Be sure to post yours, too, though, if you're pleased with the results.
Old 05-10-2005, 12:26 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

ya gotta include annamaria's limoncello (i'll see if i can find her post).

and i will post the veal scallopini in lemon butter sauce over wilted spinach, from rachael ray's 30 minute meals 2 cookbook, as soon as i find it. dw makes it often, and it's deelish.

another one of hers, dw's not rachael's , is lemon and mushroom chicken. again, i will have to look for the recipe.
Old 05-10-2005, 12:36 PM   #6

A cookbook sounds like a great idea!

Lemon-Ricotta Hot Cakes

6 large eggs, separated
1 1/2 cups whole-milk ricotta cheese
1 stick unsalted butter, melted & cooled
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 Cup all-purpose flour
1/4 Cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons grated lemon zest
Powdered sugar for dusting

Whip egg whites until they hold firm glossy peaks, then set aside. Beat together ricotta, butter, egg yolks, and vanilla, then set aside.

Whisk together flour, sugar, salt, and zest. With a rubber spatula, stir dry ingredients gently into the ricotta mixture. Stir a spoonful of whipped egg whites into the batter, then gently fold in the remainder.

On a lightly greased, heated griddle drop 3 tablespoons for each hotcake, allowing space for spreading. Cook until golden on the bottom and the top shows a bubble or two. Gently flip, and cook until undersides are light brown. Dust with powdered sugar.

Serve with fresh berries, if desired.

Source: cookingrvc on the Garden Web Cooking Forum
Old 05-10-2005, 12:45 PM   #7
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Baker
LOL--talk about great minds! It's already on my list. Crewsk, I have a good lemon curd recipe if you end up needing one. Be sure to post yours, too, though, if you're pleased with the results.
Thanks PA! I had to put it on hold until this afternoon. I need another lemon.
Old 05-10-2005, 12:46 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
can never go wrong with lemonade either
Old 05-10-2005, 12:59 PM   #9
Hospitality Queen

I gave a dear friend of mine a handwritten cookbook at her bridal shower as well.

Here's a neat pie:

Lemon Slice Pie

1 pkg pillsbury refrigerated pie crusts
1-1/2 c. granulated sugar
2 Tbsp AP flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 stick unsalted butter, melted
3 eggs, well beaten
1/4 c. drinking water
1/4 c. freshly squeezed lemon juice
3 large thin-skinned lemons, preferably peeled, sliced as thinly as possible, and seeded
1 egg white, lightly beaten
1 egg lightly beaten with 2 Tbsp heavy (whipping) cream for glazing
Powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Put first crust into 9" pie pan; Cut a sheet of parchment or foil about 2" larger than the diameter of the pie. Press it into the shell and fill it with rice. Bake until the rim of the crust feels just set to the touch, about 7-10 min. Remove from oven and cafefully lift the parchment/foil and rice from the crust. Prick the bottom and sides of the pie crust in several places with the tines of a fork. Return the shell to the oven. Check the crust several times during baking and prick it again with a fork if the crust puffs up. Cook until the crust is almost done but not completely browned, about 5-10 min. longer. Position strips of foil around the edge of crusts, if it begins to get too brown.

Change oven temp to 425 degrees.
In a large bowl, combine the sugar, flour, and salt. Beat in the butter and eggs. Stir in the water, lemon juice, and lemon slices. Pour into the pie shell.
Moisten edges of pie shell with beaten egg white and cover the pie with the top crust. Press edges on top and bottom crusts together and flute. ut air vent holes and brush the pastry with the egg glaze. Put foil strips again across edges to prevent too much browning.
Bake 15 minutes. Reduce temp to 350 degrees and cook until the crust is golden brown, about 25 min longer. Cool to room temp. Dust with powdered sugar.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:09 PM   #10
Hospitality Queen

Here's one I posted a while back:

This recipe calls for frozen chicken broth cubes. Every time I have chicken stock leftover from boiling a chicken, I freeze it in icecube trays, and when they're frozen, I keep them in a ziploc freezer bag till needed.
You can also use chicken broth or a chicken bouillon/water mixture if you don't normally keep chicken stock on hand.
(As for amounts, well, I'd say measure out how much 12 ice cubes would hold)

Tangy Lemon Chicken

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
12 chicken broth frozen cubes
freshly squeezed lemon juice (to cover meat)
5 Tbsp flour
pepper to taste
1 Tbsp water
garlic powder or fresh minced garlic
1/2 large onion, diced
1 lemon in 16 slices
1-1/2 Tbsp butter

Put chicken in med. bowl and add lemon juice and pepper. Refrig at least 2 hours. Take each chicken piece out and barely sprinkle each w/garlic powder and pepper. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Place a foil sheet down (the individual pop-up sheets you'd use for a baked potato), put 2 lemon slices, meat, 2 slices of lemon. Close foil into a packet. Repeat 3 times. Place all 4 packets on baking sheet and bake 50 minutes. Increase heat to 375 for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, pour all lemon juice from marinade in saucepan and cook on low till boiling 2 minutes. Add broth cubes and boil again, stirring occasionally.
Place onions and butter in small bowl and microwave 2 minutes on high. Add lemon sauce. In small bowl, mix flour with water till smooth. Add to sauce, whicking 2 full minutes. Add pepper and garlic powder. Cook on low 2 minutes. Using imersion blender, process till smooth. Serve over chicken.