ISO Favorite toppings on green salads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A friend grew up with goats...she can't stand the smell of ANY goat cheese. I don't like goat's milk, but I do like goat cheese...wondering how people feel about putting grains (quinoa, wild rice, wheatberries, barley) with tossed salads? I like to do that, but only if I let the barley drain and dry, or use purple barley. I don't like slimy barley. Wheatberries are a so-so with me.

My fave toppings on green salad....hmmm...a lot! I probably have a loaded up salad sometime during the day 4 days out of 7. Whatever I have in the veggie bin - starts with romaine and whatever greens if I have them, the usual carrots, celery, cucumbers, radishes, sliced bells. From the pantry....shredded beets, chopped artichoke hearts, rinsed and drained garbanzos, cannellini, or black beans. Pretty much whatever I have that sounds good in a salad. :LOL: Leftover chopped roast chicken is a fave. I also love some kind of crunchies - toasted sunflower seeds, pine nuts, slivered almonds, or croutons.

The dressing depends - Marie's buttermilk ranch with chipotle is a fave on a main dish salads with greens, beans, peppers, chicken or sliced steak, and maybe some roasted corn kernels.

I'm a big fan of Trader Joe's citrus champagne vinegar - I LOVE this stuff shaken up with EVOO on a spinach salad with dried cranberries, hard cooked eggs, sunflower seeds, and parmesan. I'm almost out and need to add it to my TJ list. :yum:

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 170
I also remember having a salad with grilled corn Kernels. It was delicious. I forgot about it until this thread. Glad it reminded me, now that grill is almost exposed from the snow.

Many years ago, I worked as a waitress (who hasn't?) at a restaurant. A lot of folks from the airport would come in. I suppose it was because they had to watch their weight, but a lot of them would order a salad. At first we only had a typical salad that you find in any restaurant that comes with a meal. Nothing to rave about. But one of the female customers had a conversation with the cook, and before you could say salad, we had a salad that gave you a choice of protein. Fish, or meat. Each day of the week was a different kind of fish. And it was always fresh fish. Of course the price went up. But it was worth it. And the customers never complained. The salads were served on a boat like bowl. You had your choice of a large or small one. The men always ordered the big one. Dressings were always served on the side. And since the total of the meal went up, so did my tip. :angel:

One of my favorites and always requested: Basic torn romaine lettuce leaves tossed with watercress.
Thin puree of fresh humus for the dressing. Add enough best OO to thin the humus. Topped with whole slow roasted garlic cloves and chick peas and some pine nuts. And a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.

Not a big fan of goat cheese. I've tried it from farmers markets, artisan cheese makers, etc., and sadly, it always tastes "goaty" to me, even when I've been reassured no billy goats were around.

I have found that goat milk and goat milk cheese that is made at a goat dairy that has no billy goats doesn't have that smell. I am pretty sure the smell is contamination by billy goat aroma. It's very similar.
The stables where Tetley lives do vocational courses for 16-18 year old students in equine studies and small animal (as in rabbits, birds, guinea pigs, etc.,) care. For some reason which no-one can fathom they also have a pair of goats - one a neutered male, the other an entire billy. Like most goats they can escape from anywhere and they do. We always know when they've been in our stable barn from the smell. It upsets the horses as well.

Not a big fan of goat cheese. I've tried it from farmers markets, artisan cheese makers, etc., and sadly, it always tastes "goaty" to me, even when I've been reassured no billy goats were around.

I feel the same Dawg, I don't care for goat cheese at all but I can barely tolerate Feta as it can't contain more than 30% goat milk. I don't go out of my way to buy Fetta, but a little in a salad is ok.

At Denny's I ordered a grilled chicken and avocado sandwich along with a side salad. Removed the bread, chopped the chicken and added it to the salad along with the dressing I had asked for on the side. Have done the same thing with burgers or salmon filets.

Basically, I'll put anything on top of a salad.

Last edited:
I feel the same Dawg, I don't care for goat cheese at all but I can barely tolerate Feta as it can't contain more than 30% goat milk. I don't go out of my way to buy Fetta, but a little in a salad is ok.

Ya know, Kay, I can handle a bit of Feta, not much, but it must be because of the goatiness.

At Denny's I ordered a grilled chicken and avocado sandwich along with a side salad. Removed the bread, chopped the chicken and added it to the salad along with the dressing I had asked for on the side. Have done the same thing with burgers or salmon filets.

Brilliant idea PF!! Table side cooking at it's best! More bang for your buck to boot! :punk:

What a good idea! Sure wish we had a Denny's.

I do save any salad dressing and mustard packets from wherever we might get stuff, along with any other salad bar items.

I do save any salad dressing and mustard packets from wherever we might get stuff, along with any other salad bar items.

Me too, I wonder how many millions of those little packets are stashed away in refrigerators around the world! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Have you had feta that is made from only sheep's milk.

I've been doing it at any restaurants that have meals based on carbs. People look at me funny, but they did that anyway for other reasons.:ROFLMAO:

I was talking to one of the maintenance men who garden out in the patches that have been set aside for the non existing residents that like to garden. He is young, single and just does it for a hobby. He gives 90% of what he grows to anyone who wants it. I am now on his list. Tomatoes and cukes along with radishes for the summer.! And all free. All I have to buy are the croutons. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom