"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-22-2015, 12:56 AM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

ISO Favorite toppings on green salads

A friend of mine told me that what I do with green salads are things she would never think to do--berries, seeds, nuts, fruit, bacon (okay, bacon is a no brainer). I was wondering what DCers do to their green salads that take them beyond the tomato-cucumber-celery-lettuce level. What don't you like on your salad (goat cheese, walnuts, sprouts, etc.)

Old 03-22-2015, 01:28 AM   #2
Master Chef

My SousChef should really answer this as he does almost nightly "glorified dinner salads". For some reason, I hate to make them., but love to eat them.

The base is almost always sliced romaine hearts of lettuce, topped with always mandatory slivered pickled beets. Even when good tomatoes aren't available, pickled beets can make an ordinary dinner salad memorable both with flavor and color. This time of year, leftover roasted asparagus is welcomed on top, and whatever bits of cooked or uncooked veggies on hand. We like our dinner salads sprinkled with salted toasted sunflower seeds.

Good subject by the way.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 01:30 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Sliced cabbage, chopped broccoli, chopped cauliflower, thinly sliced red onion, sliced radish, thinly sliced carrot, julienned green peppers, garlic greens, chive flowers, nasturtium flowers, capers, snow peas
Old 03-22-2015, 01:36 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
What I don't want on my salad: fake bacon bits, most fruit, sweet salad dressing, orange cheese, MSG, canned peas, Miracle Whip or other bottled "salad dressing" of the kind that looks like mayo
Old 03-22-2015, 01:37 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

ISO Favorite toppings on green salads

I love sunflower seeds, cottage cheese, frozen peas, golden raisins, lots of fresh ground pepper. Pickeled red onion.
Old 03-22-2015, 02:18 AM   #6
Master Chef

I suppose it depends on the greens used. I have used, either alone or in combination, iceberg, romaine, spinach, arugula, kale, bibb or boston. Toppings in various combinations are tomato, radish, green pepper (burp), celery, carrot, green salad olives, black olives, artichokes in seasoned oil, sundried tomato, sliced beets, hard-cooked egg, garbanzo beans, scallions, cranberries, walnuts, sunflower seeds, leftover meats such as grilled chicken or tuna, ham.

One of our favorite summer combinations is a bed of iceberg/romaine chopped and tossed with leftover grilled chicken, corn, and black beans. Then we top it with chopped cooked egg, black olive slices, chopped tomatoes, and dressing. Himself is partial to a creamy, ranch-type, while I prefer a light application of Trader Joe's champagne vinaigrette.
Old 03-22-2015, 04:42 AM   #7
Master Chef

Most of the time my salads are fairly standard.

Now that soup season is ending I will begin eating more whole meal salads using whatever turns up in the refrigerator from previous meals.

I enjoy Buffalo chicken salads with chunks of chicken tossed in hot sauce and topped with blue cheese dressing.

Taco salads with spicy ground beef, cheese, black olives, topped with a dressing made from mayo, sour cream and salsa.

Thin slices of steak with red onion on a bed of romaine topped with a sharp red wine based dressing and a little grated/shaved cheese.

A few shrimp on a basic tossed salad with a Thousand Island type dressing.

Salad is also a great way to get a dose of apple cider vinegar into your diet. Some people believe that consuming apple cider vinegar helps to lower blood sugar.
Old 03-22-2015, 05:58 AM   #8
Head Chef

Personally I love Roasted Sunflower seeds.

My mom has been making her " Super Salad" for years .
Typical lettuce, Grape tomatoes, cucumbers. But then underneath this all, she buries Black olives, Marinated artichoke hearts, Marinated Mushrooms and baby corn.
Usually served with Good Seasons Dressing.

She usually makes it in advance, which is why she places all the " Wet" marinated stuff on the bottom, so the lettuce doesn't get soggy. It is tossed last minute, and dressing is placed by the individual.

The REAL reason she buries the 'good stuff' cause me and my brother always periodically sneak into the other room, and try and pick out all the good stuff while we are waiting for dinner to be served

. So if its buried, it makes it a bit more challenging to do without going unnoticed.

Another thing I do, which has nothing to do with toppings, is I make the salad in a large plastic
container ( with a lid). this way, when its ready to eat, I dump the dressing in the container, close the lid, shake it up so all the leaves get coated and serve). I hate when all the dressing pools at the bottom, or when some of the things are coated, then you bite into a chunk that has no dressing, so this way kinda takes care of that , Assuming it will be eaten immediately, everyone likes the same dressing and everyone likes it coated as I do. Thats why I usually do it for my Immediate family only.

In addition, I may add Parmesan cheese, Shredded Mozzarella and those hot pepperoncini peppers .

*** Im an oil and vinegar/ vinaigrette kinda guy. I don't like the creamy stuff.

Larry
Old 03-22-2015, 07:47 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

I take your standard head of lettuce, break off one half and cut into small pieces. If I have a cuke, celery and or radishes on hand, the cuke get sliced really thin and the celery along with the radishes goes into the small FP. Then everyone jumps into the pool and I bathe them in Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing. Because of digestion problems, I let them sit there losing their crunch and eat it all in one sitting. Salads are a treat for me. Only one or two a year.
Old 03-22-2015, 07:50 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
Personally I love Roasted Sunflower seeds.

My mom has been making her " Super Salad" for years .
Typical lettuce, Grape tomatoes, cucumbers. But then underneath this all, she buries Black olives, Marinated artichoke hearts, Marinated Mushrooms and baby corn.
Usually served with Good Seasons Dressing.

She usually makes it in advance, which is why she places all the " Wet" marinated stuff on the bottom, so the lettuce doesn't get soggy. It is tossed last minute, and dressing is placed by the individual.

The REAL reason she buries the 'good stuff' cause me and my brother always periodically sneak into the other room, and try and pick out all the good stuff while we are waiting for dinner to be served

. So if its buried, it makes it a bit more challenging to do without going unnoticed.

Another thing I do, which has nothing to do with toppings, is I make the salad in a large plastic
container ( with a lid). this way, when its ready to eat, I dump the dressing in the container, close the lid, shake it up so all the leaves get coated and serve). I hate when all the dressing pools at the bottom, or when some of the things are coated, then you bite into a chunk that has no dressing, so this way kinda takes care of that , Assuming it will be eaten immediately, everyone likes the same dressing and everyone likes it coated as I do. Thats why I usually do it for my Immediate family only.

In addition, I may add Parmesan cheese, Shredded Mozzarella and those hot pepperoncini peppers .

*** Im an oil and vinegar/ vinaigrette kinda guy. I don't like the creamy stuff.

Larry
I too like to do the "shake it up" to dress a salad and prefer EVOO and vinegar, S&P on my salads. The only creamy I like is coleslaw...and potato salad, but when we have new potatoes, I like an EVOO and vinegar dressing. Your mom's trick sounds great!

Tags
salad